A World of Gestures

A World of Gestures

Message  gerardM le Dim 5 Fév - 23:03

Hi everyone,

Some people think gestures are animal language only.

No!

Just look at a football match (American football) and you'll see the coach providing the quarterbacks with instructions.
Just look at my son playing a double tennis match and you'll have the opportunity to see the guy at the net suggesting tactics to his partner about to serve.
Just look at the stock-exchange floor to realize that there're oodles of possibilities.

No, gesture language isn't an animal language but really something very rich and very used by human beings.

Consider all the nods all day long to say "yes", "no", the signs with the lips, the signs with fingers or hands...

Signs are so common that you might think they're obvious, quite natural.
Thumbs up should mean "everything's fine", right? Things are not that simple as this sign means you're going up for a diver.
To say it's fine, a diver will join the thumb to the index showing kinda circle the other fingers being stretched (looking like a 6 when done by the left hand). Mind you as this sign means "zero" for a French guy and speaks about an orifice to other country natives!!!

Well, take great care! Sign meanings are very different depending on the countries!

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: A World of Gestures

Message  MurielB le Dim 5 Fév - 23:13

Hi Gerard I don't know which gesture to use to tell you that I am so happy you are back in the forum :-) \ :-) :-)

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Dim 5 Fév - 23:22

Interested in the subject?

Access this 9-minute video after a BBC program -> Gestures across cultures it's really very interesting!
a clip of the best and fascinating gestures from around the world. taken from BBC documentary the human animal- language of the body

Remember: if you're traveling, signs are different in cultures and a YES might mean a NO! Laughing or even worse, a polite sign might mean an obscenity!!

The National Geographic magazine in its last December issue, contains a few pages on the subject under the title "A world of Gestures".
Their web site has got tracks of the subject:
-> Gestures, Signals, and Sign Language
-> Is a Smile Always Just a Smile?
-> Social Psychology, Sociology, a 40-page PDF

Another video by Bud Brown -> Gestures From Around the World Part 1
Another one -> Gestures and Body Language Tutorial
Take a look at the right hand column of the YouTube Web page and you'll see tons of videos on the subject including Japanese gesture language or Italian language in 10 minutes!! Smile

Also ask Google about it -> http://www.google.fr/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=fr&site=&source=hp&q=a+world+of+gestures&psj=1&oq=A+world+of+gestures&aq=0L&aqi=g-L3g-vL2g-jL1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=4641l8957l0l15055l19l19l0l8l8l0l131l1087l8.3l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=57678b3039d9bd9e&biw=1280&bih=698

Enjoy!

Dernière édition par gerardM le Lun 6 Fév - 0:19, édité 1 fois

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Dim 5 Fév - 23:33

Hi Muriel! :-)

gerardM

Message  Admin le Lun 6 Fév - 18:57

Welcome back Gérard!!

Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Message  Guilaine le Mar 7 Fév - 14:15

Hi Gérard, nice to see you back !
I enjoyed viewing most of the links you shared about "Gestures across cultures".
One of them surprised me however : three tests on gestures made by 1) a Japanese lady 2) a French lady 3) an Iraní lady.
I doubt the latter was a true Iraní lady as she was not veiled (!) and made an obscene gesture. She can't come from Iran, can she ?

I also liked the 4 magic phrases, which one can use whenever one is in a difficult situation !
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

body language

Message  katyE le Lun 18 Juin - 18:04

So far i know , human uses 80% body language and 20% spoken language. (I guess except from germans...they don´t really move that much..)
Regards.
katyE

Lieu : Boulogne sur mer
Langues : Mexicaine Esp (Langue maternelle) gb De Fr

Message  MurielB le Mer 20 Juin - 8:15

Just have a look at the deaf and hard of hearing community ! Their gestures
express much more than words !

Admin

Message  MurielB le Dim 3 Juin - 22:31

Gérard a écrit:Well, take great care! Sign meanings are very different depending on the countries!
Hi everyone
As we have now in Café polyglotte de Calais, a sign language table, body language interests me all the more so.  Mind you, sign language is not universal and body language is worse because you can very easily put your foot in when you don't know what is written in the rectangles  below
Of course the above video was also very clear  Gestures across cultures  
http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/body-language-around-the-world-2015-3

Mike 

Admin