Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Trapped in my Own Game

Trapped in my Own Game Empty Trapped in my Own Game

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Jan - 22:07

Hi everyone,

I wrote several times that in America, "Street rule" meaning that the right language was the language used in the street (by people).

I'm very happy to visit American forums and social networks to learn true American.

LOL

I wonder if I was not trapped.

Here's what I found on FB today -> Trapped in my Own Game 3398_10151175131126010_2105860382_n

I use these "have got" all the time because I met them so often that I concluded it was a typical American form.
I know that in American English, "to have" is not used like in British English... Shocked

It is some consolation to read the comments:
Cathy Fritts Haha. I'd so do it too.
Sam Gaydusek Somedays I feel the same.
Raymond Arseneault Same thing for me!
I'm not the only one and Americans do speak like this! Mad

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Trapped in my Own Game Empty Re: Trapped in my Own Game

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Jan - 23:02

Phew!

I was confusing...

I never say "Do you have got milk?" but "Have you got (any) milk?" which is correct Wink

I asked and got a response: the "Have you any milk?" I was taught when a student is too posh and only used by the Queen. British people would now say "Have you got any milk?".

That's it!

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas