Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Why GenY?

2 participants

Why GenY? Empty Why GenY?

Message  gerardM Sam 19 Jan - 22:13

Hi everyone,

You probably heard about GenY's.

I never really investigated but I would like to know what the origin of the name is.

We now also speak about GenX and GenZ...

What do you think, are the specificities of these GenYs? Advantages? Drawbacks?
Are our children/grandchildren belonging to a new humanity?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Why GenY? Empty Re: Why GenY?

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 9:58

Hi everyone,

GenY stands for "Generation Y".
Does this name come after the many questions kids ask: Why??

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 10:05

Wikipedia states:
, Generation Yalso known as the Millennial Generation is the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when Generation Y starts and ends. Commentators use beginning birth dates from the latter 1970s, or from the early 1980s to the early 2000s (decade).

So I understand the word "Generation X" didn't come after GenY but that it existed before: on the opposite, the name "GenY" came after then.
There's also "The Silent Generation" somewhere but I didn't understand yet.
Other names for Gen Ys are "The Peter Pan Generation", "The Boomeran generation", "The New-Boomers", "The Next Generation", etc.
It's difficult to follow as -of course- every sociologist would like to create the name that will be kept in history or say for many years.

The phrase Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 Ad Age editorial to describe teenagers of the day, which they defined as different from Generation X, and then aged 12 or younger as well as the teenagers of the upcoming ten years.[2] Since then, the company has sometimes used 1982 as the starting birth year for this generation.[3] "Generation Y" alludes to a succession from "Generation X."

... Gen Ys also named "Millennials" came after the "Boomers", and the "Gen X's".

Several books were written by sociologists. The most famous authors are William Strauss and Neil Howe.
The traits and values of Gen Ys are not only around digital technologies.

As far as I could understand, sociologists like to define 4 groups and they states the traits and value go in circle (go again) from the 4th to the 1st group.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 10:44

Hi,

I'd like to fix a mistake in my words.
In America, "Gen Y" refers to the group, they use the word "Gen Yers" to designate individuals of this group.

NB: Notice the order Generation Y, Y coming after "Generation".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 21 Jan - 14:05

Hi Gerard ! Hi everyone
I have carefully read what Gerard has written because it's a very interesting topic. I would also like to add another trait : Increased nacisme (for instance Facebook where people tend to show themselves more and more)
But I also want to add something about Generation Y I read in courrier international a few months ago
As you know, there are different stages in human development : Childhood, Adolescence and adulthood
Before 1945 there was just Childhood and Adulthood so Adolescence was recently shown.
Adolescence (from Latin: adolescere meaning "to grow up")[1] is a transitional stage of physical and psychological human development generally occurring during the period from puberty to legal adulthood (age of majority).[1][2][3] The period of adolescence is most closely associated with the teenage years
With generation y they have shown another period situated between the teens and 30-35 about. I don't know how they call it but it means that the young adults don't want to settle down too early but explore every possibility (L'âge de tous les possibles). They want to travel, have love experiences, different studies or jobs etc. i have noticed it with my children, nephews or nieces .
What do you think ?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 14:19

Hi Muriel, everyone,

Thanks for your lines.

Gen Y is less a question of age range (you said 30-35) than a question of history. I mean it's nothing to do with biology or medecine; it's made by environmental conditions.

If you are interested, here are the different generations defined by demographers for the western countries :
  • The Lost Generation, those who fought in World War I, born between 1883 and 1900.
  • The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, the veterans who fought in World War II, born from around 1901 through 1924.
  • The Silent Generation, also known as the "Lucky Few", born 1925 through 1945, too young to join the service during World War II.
  • The Baby Boomers, born following World War II, from 1946 up to 1964.
  • Generation X, born after the baby boom ended., from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.
  • Generation Y, also called Millennials, dates ranging somewhere from the latter 1970s[36] or from the early 1980s to the early 2000s (decade).
  • Generation Z, aka iGeneration, Generation@, Net Generation, Homeland Generation, or in the United States Generation 9/11, the Pluralist Generation, Generation AO (always on), Generation Text, and the "Digital Natives".birth dates are from the early 2000s.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations#List_of_generations )
Other generations:
  • The Beat Generation
  • Generation Jones
  • The Hip Hop Generation
  • The Stolen Generation
  • The Generation of €700
  • MTV Generation

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 21 Jan - 14:31

Hi Gerard ! everyone !
Yes but why do they want to settle down later in life ? why do they want to explore every possiblility ? there is ng to do with medecine (may be with Peter pan syndrom) they don't want to become an adult too soon. Is it the environment ? technology ? what ?
Thank you to help me find out.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 15:16

Hi Muriel,

Poor them!
They settle down later prolly because the unemployment rate is very high and they cannot find a job easily.

Peter Pan Gen. because of problem with economy in the world.

Speaking of environmental conditions, I meant situation of the world.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 21 Jan - 17:52

gerardM a écrit:

If you are interested, here are the different generations defined by demographers for the western countries :
  • The Lost Generation, those who fought in World War I, born between 1883 and 1900.
  • The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, the veterans who fought in World War II, born from around 1901 through 1924.
  • The Silent Generation, also known as the "Lucky Few", born 1925 through 1945, too young to join the service during World War II.
  • The Baby Boomers, born following World War II, from 1946 up to 1964.
  • Generation X, born after the baby boom ended., from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.
  • Generation Y, also called Millennials, dates ranging somewhere from the latter 1970s[36] or from the early 1980s to the early 2000s (decade).
  • Generation Z, aka iGeneration, Generation@, Net Generation, Homeland Generation, or in the United States Generation 9/11, the Pluralist Generation, Generation AO (always on), Generation Text, and the "Digital Natives".birth dates are from the early 2000s.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations#List_of_generations )
Other generations:
  • The Beat Generation
  • Generation Jones
  • The Hip Hop Generation
  • The Stolen Generation
  • The Generation of €700
  • MTV Generation
Thanks Gerard, it's very interesting. I do wander if the world economy is the only cause for this succession of generations who are so different from one another. . I have always been interested in Evolution since the Big Bang or before.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Jan - 22:53

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

MurielB a écrit:... I do wander if the world economy is the only cause for this succession of generations who are so different from one another. . I have always been interested in Evolution since the Big Bang or before.
> wander wonder
These generations defined by sociologists are not important enough to have other causes than economy. I mean that the differences from the Big Bang -or say the apparition of hominids 7 million years ago (Toumaï)-.

Did you read that their theory claims there are 4 generations that come again in circle?

Do you know my Web site -> -What made us so?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 22 Jan - 7:57

Thanks Gerard, your website is very interesting and I will enjoy reading it over and over again. Let's get back to the subject. i would rather think that technlogical progress plays a great part in this succession of generations. For instance gen y. Y stands for walkman. People from that generation tend to listen a lot. The next generation will be different. It will be a smartphone generation. older children born after 1995 are visual and keep their eyes stuck on their little screen. They also keep tapping ( i don't know the English expression for touching the ipad screen)

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 24 Jan - 21:25

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for your words.

> Y stands for walkman. People from that generation tend to listen a lot.
I think that Gen Y came after the walkman.
A problem that if they do listen, it is their walkman and on the opposite, they don't listen much to people around them.

Sociologists don't consider devices in front of them but prefer to stress psychological traits.
What surprises me is their classification in 4 groups that come again in a circle.

This morning I was walking along a parking lot and I was watching cars with a shape that comes back after a while.
A few years ago, the trend was hoods ("capot" in the US) with aerodynamic properties like the Peugeot 207 or the Mercedes Class A.
The fashion today, is the opposite with a "big mouth" like SUVs' ones, hence the new Peugeot 3xxx or 5xxx, the new Citroën, the Toyota Yarris, etc. very far from aerodynamic grille.
The fashions come and go in a circle : Citroën DS 19, Simca 1000, etc.

gerardM