Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Computerized Translation

2 participants

Computerized Translation Empty Computerized Translation

Message  gerardM Mer 24 Avr - 21:32

Hi everyone,

Of course, we know that: translating is sometimes tricky and especially when English and French are involved (many false cognates).

Automatic translation by e.g. Google Translate is often very funny.

Here's a video by Topito.com: people used the outcome of Google Translate on their windows, their documents, their products scratch Gosh!
-> http://www.topito.com/top-traductions-merde-francais

Enjoy!
But also remember that this kind of program can be used from a foreign language to your mother language only, otherwise you might get something like you see in the video Laughing

The video was recorded after the Facebook account https://www.facebook.com/traductionsdem

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Computerized Translation Empty Re: Computerized Translation

Message  MurielB Jeu 25 Avr - 8:57

Hi Gérard, hi everyone !
I enjoyed the very funny video ! thank you Gérard for sharing ! i also use Automatic translation by e.g. Google to translate French into the different languages I am learning. Anyway i never take the translation for granted. I always check it and change the parts I don't like.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Jeu 25 Avr - 21:14

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

> Google to translate French into the different languages I am learning.
I personaly don't like automatic thingies which encourages lazyness.
Nothing better than to use a good dictionary (on the computer or online): this way I read subtle details and learn lots of words.
Google is rather poor, it doesn't teach anything... we could think it helps beginners except that the level of its English is low and gives poor help.
If the English level is low, you can imagine the level in other languages.

... my opinion!

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Jeu 25 Avr - 22:43

I agree Gérard, It's true that when you look up a word in a true dictionary or on line, you learn much more. Anyway when you use automatic translation you still need to use your brains, your dictionary and your grammar because as you said earlier it's very funny and not very good. It should be pointed out for those who learn languages.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es