Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Suffragist - suffragette

3 participants

Suffragist - suffragette Empty Suffragist - suffragette

Message  gerardM Dim 22 Sep - 15:34

Hi everyone,

A bit lazzy after lunch, I zapp thru TV channels from my couch and came across LCP which bradcast "Les suffragettes, ni paillassons, ni prostituées".
Yeah, I knew this word "suffragette" but vaguely, I must admit.

In the United States, women over 21 were first allowed to vote in the territories of Wyoming from 1869 and in Utah from 1870, and with the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment the suffrage was extended to women across the United States in time for the 1920 presidential election. Women over 21 were allowed to vote in New Zealand from 1893, in Australia from 1894, and in Canada from 1919. Women in the UK were given the vote in 1918 if over 30 and meeting certain property qualifications, and in 1928 suffrage was extended to all women over the age of 21.
in Sweden: "la Suède entre 1718 et 1771, puis partiellement à partir de 1862 et de façon complète et définitive en 1919 (avec de premières élections en 1921)"... in France: 1944. affraid 

The TV program was about the UK so, my words will mainly be about the British movement.
I really looked forward to watching this part of history and part of the British culture.
Congrats to the British women who were so couragous, so determined and had to fight for at least 50 years.

A few documents:
-> Wikipedia -Suffragette
-> Parliament UK -Early suffragist campaigning
-> Wikipedia -Women's suffrage
-> Wikipédia Fr -Droit de vote des femmes

-> Les suffragettes, ni paillassons, ni prostituées
-> Les suffragettes, ni paillassons, ni prostituées
This 52-minute film was published in 2011; the director is Michèle Dominici.

Coming broadcasting:
- Dimanche 29 septembre 2013 Sur LCP / PS à 01:01
- Dimanche 29 septembre 2013 Sur LCP / PS à 20:31

You can also find it on the Internet.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Suffragist - suffragette Empty Re: Suffragist - suffragette

Message  MurielB Dim 22 Sep - 21:56

hi Gérard, hi everyone
I remember reading a book about women's lib when I was at university. Just think that women got the right of  as late as 1945 though the sufragette movement started before world war I Gradually they wanted to show men that they were not  just good enough to clean the house, do the cooking, the washing, bring up the kids and that's it. They also had to earn money when a lot of Young soldiers died in 14-18
Anyway the sufragette movement was considered aggressive against men but nowadays women's wages are still lower than men's (For the same job)
Some sufragettes were so exasperated that they said "she" when speaking of God. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Any comments ?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Lun 23 Sep - 13:51, édité 1 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  Remy Lun 23 Sep - 8:27

Hi Muriel, Gérard,...

Well, Muriel, I understand your complaints. It was surely true some décades before, and unfair. But I'm not sure that nowadays women's wages are still lower than men's ones for the same job.
Women sometimes decide to scrap their career to bring up their children. Then, men's jobs, closer from industry, are generally more paid than women's tertiary jobs.
So, obviously, as an average, women's wages are lower than men's ones. But they are not under-beings because they earn less.

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  Remy Lun 23 Sep - 10:22

However, it's probably not fair that women should be compelled to scrap their career to bring up their children.
That's not true for civil servants. But for others...

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  MurielB Lun 23 Sep - 13:57

Remy a écrit: But they are not under-beings because they earn less.

Thank you Remy for saying that women are not Under-beings. I guess what i means but I have never seen that expression. Very Happy

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 23 Sep - 18:24

Hi Muriel, Remy, hi everyone,

@ Muriel:
> Anyway the sufragette movement was considered aggressive against men
The TV documentary chose 5 characters and spoke about the various movements.
The title of the thread (and the documentary) includes Suffragist & Suffragette. There were several leagues with various aims: the Suffragettes were the most aggressive but not against men (so I think).
Many Suffragettes were "tortured" (I mean the government forced them to eat while they went hunger strike); Winston Churchill sent the police at them; one of the heads of the Suffragettes was killed (by a horse in a race).

Watch the TV program if you have the opportunity.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/