Internet Powa

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Internet Powa

Message  gerardM le Lun 4 Nov - 19:29

Hi everyone,

More than once have I been "saved" by my search engine.

Unimaginable a decade 2 décades ago!
3 examples to illustrate what I mean:
* I was speaking about a kidnapping that occurred when I was a kid: it concerned Eric Peugeot... easy to get all of the details even after 53 years
* I was also speaking about another kidnapping the victim of which being the CEO of Schneider Electric and to whom they cut a few finger phalanxes... yes, my search engine knew and gave me several links
* I also spoke about Bruno Bettelheim my interlocutor had never heard of... no problem to get a full page with all the life, all the works.

How could we have done a decade 2 decades ago? How much time and energy?

That's true, to perform this my search engine has to access, gather, index data written by lots of people who offer theit knowledge.
That's true, the Internet and search engines have advantages but also drawbacks.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 10:04, édité 1 fois (Raison : mistake)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Internet Powa

Message  MurielB le Mar 5 Nov - 9:09

gerardM a écrit:Hi everyone,

More  index data written by lots of people who offer theit knowledge.
yes Gérard, Internet makes human being more intelligent.

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 10:05

MurielB a écrit:... yes Gérard, Internet makes human being more intelligent.
intelligent? LOL
I wouldn't say that!

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mar 5 Nov - 11:34

Gerard I just mean that people have the choice. you have the possibility to know nearly everything with your search engine. When people want to remain ignorant, it's up to them to decide. Sad

Admin

Message  gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 11:46

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

As far as I know centuries ago (no I was not here), knowledgeable people had to listen to classes and learn lots by heart and remember; they did it rather easily.
Decades ago, there were museums, books, encyclopedias and we had to remember the main points and to know how and where to find information.

Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?

Do you think that a very limited number of search engines is a danger as they can provide the truth as they see it?

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mar 5 Nov - 14:02

gerardM a écrit:

Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?

At first there there were stone-tablets then  papyrus then hand- written books, then printing then typewriter then internet. In the same time there was the quill-pen, the fountain pen, the bic etc.
Stone-tablets are best  because they last longer and your writing is best with a quill-pen. There has always been a quarrel between the ancients and the moderns. Anyway the world evolves. Those who want to stay with stone-tables why not ?Very Happy

Admin

Message  gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 14:25

Muriel,

> Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?
You don't respond to the question, do you?

Do you think Web search engines and Web documents are playing against books?
Do you mean we won't need libraries and that it's not important?

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 14:29

> , the bic etc.
I doubt English speaking countries know about "bic". People say biro®.

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mar 5 Nov - 15:07

Thank you Gérard for teaching me a new word. I will remember "biro". As to evolution I have no idea where it will lead us to. I hope man and conviviality will remain at the centre of everything. Personally I like search engines and Web documents. It 's a lot quicker than books. Libraries are good because you can ask advice from somebody which is a good thing. Face to face communication is essential.

Admin

Message  gerardM le Mar 5 Nov - 15:22

Biro ( Biros    plural  ) A Biro is a pen with a small metal ball at its tip which transfers the ink onto the paper.

biro® is a trademark, such as Bic®.

After Bíró László Jozsef, the inventor of the ballpen in 1038.
-> (En Wikipedia) Bíró László József
-> (Fr Wikipédia) Bíró László József
In 1945 Marcel Bich bought the patent from Bíró for the pen
If needed, this is another example of French people who divert an invention and who show the French are not always open, and honest, and respectful. Surprising the French are considered as arrogant?

Did many member know about Bíró László Jozsef, the true inventor of ballpen?

gerardM

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut