a new exhibition in the quai Branly museum on the kanak culture

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

a new exhibition in the quai Branly museum on the kanak culture

Message  JeanPierreD le Mer 13 Nov - 12:12

During my last stay in Paris i visited two exhibitions , one at the quai Branly museum and an other one in the former Orsay railway station.
In the quai Branly it was « Kanak, l’Art est une parole », the largest exhibition ever held on Kanak culture from New Caledonia, this piece of France at the other end of the world … It brings together more than 300 exceptional works and documents  from public collections in Europe and New Caledonia . It features many previously unseen and spectacular pieces ; wooden carving from the Grand huts,  impressive ceremonial axes , pole sculptures and a diverse sélection of statuettes and ornaments .
This exhibition 22 years after « De jade et de Nacre » (also held in Paris and Noumea ) is based on new data: museographical (a complete inventory of the objects in the world's public collections : the scientific inventory of the dispersed Kanak culture has enabled the discovery of important and unique objects, sometimes forgotten in museum reserves), vernacular (the recording of immaterial Kanak culture which has been carried out over the last 10 years) and resulting from anthropological and historical data.
We can guess a lot of work have been necessary to prepare this important exhibition which will end mid january and then presented at the Centre Culturel Tjibaou in Noumea,  from march 15 to june 15,  2014.
New Caledonia is a sui generis collectivity to which France has gradually transferred certain powers, and some posters are dedicated to the sad history of colonialism  and more recent violent events .
There is also some contemporary kanak art among the antiques and a show about ( a film) Jean-Marie Tjibaou who is one icon of the Kanak culture.
During my visit, I’ve learned a lot, for example that the revolutionary people of la Commune de Paris have been deported there, and used to put down the revolts of the kanak peoples whose lands were stolen by europeans. Among them only one person tried to understand the kanak culture , it was Louise Michel who even opened a school. This exhibition worths the visit .
JeanPierreD

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: a new exhibition in the quai Branly museum on the kanak culture

Message  MurielB le Ven 15 Nov - 13:39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hx77wHe8Yk
JeanPierreD a écrit:During my last stay in Paris i visited two exhibitions , one at the quai Branly museum and an other one in the former Orsay railway station.
In the quai Branly it was « Kanak, l’Art est une parole », the largest exhibition ever held on Kanak culture from New Caledonia, this piece of France at the other end of the world … It brings together more than 300 exceptional works and documents  from public collections in Europe and New Caledonia . It features many previously unseen and spectacular pieces ; wooden carving from the Grand huts,  impressive ceremonial axes , pole sculptures and a diverse sélection of statuettes and ornaments .
This exhibition 22 years after « De jade et de Nacre » (also held in Paris and Noumea ) is based on new data: museographical (a complete inventory of the objects in the world's public collections : the scientific inventory of the dispersed Kanak culture has enabled the discovery of important and unique objects, sometimes forgotten in museum reserves), vernacular (the recording of immaterial Kanak culture which has been carried out over the last 10 years) and resulting from anthropological and historical data.
We can guess a lot of work have been necessary to prepare this important exhibition which will end mid january and then presented at the Centre Culturel Tjibaou in Noumea,  from march 15 to june 15,  2014.
New Caledonia is a sui generis collectivity to which France has gradually transferred certain powers, and some posters are dedicated to the sad history of colonialism  and more recent violent events .
There is also some contemporary kanak art among the antiques and a show about ( a film) Jean-Marie Tjibaou who is one icon of the Kanak culture.
During my visit, I’ve learned a lot, for example that the revolutionary people of la Commune de Paris have been deported there, and used to put down the revolts of the kanak peoples whose lands were stolen by europeans. Among them only one person tried to understand the kanak culture , it was Louise Michel who even opened a school. This exhibition worths the visit .
Thank you very much Jean-Pierre for letting us know about the exhibition.

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut