Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Talking about the weather

2 participants

Talking about the weather Empty Talking about the weather

Message  MurielB Lun 3 Fév - 22:29

Talking about the weather is very useful, especially when you don't know what to say. It is a sort of ice-breaking conversation. British weather is a joke because it is unpredictable. Which ever season you are in you hear in the streets, in the shops, on the buses conversations like the ones in this video.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Talking about the weather Empty Re: Talking about the weather

Message  gerardM Lun 3 Fév - 22:58

Yes Muriel,
That reminds me of American culture.

Americans use a kind of protocol/procedure when they meet someone.

For example, before visiting a new foreign country, they know they must learn a few useful words such as: bonjour, merci, etc.
They also know that they must socialize and weather is a perfect subject for that.

It's a bit like a salesperson: they are used to asking a few questions which make you answer "yes"... then the prospect is more inclined to accept the suggestions that come Wink

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  Invité Mar 4 Fév - 23:01

Hi Muriel, Gérard,
They say one of the signs that your relationship is faltering, is when the only thing you have to talk about to each other is the weather ... or what's for dinner !

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Mer 5 Fév - 6:46

Hi Gérard, Krystyna.
When I meet you again I won't talk about the weather! I won't talk about what we are having for dinner either.  Wink

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 5 Fév - 14:45

Hi everyone,

However, both points can be interesting provided they don't last for hours or aren't the only topics of the meeting... we could speak about polyglotism Wink

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Talking about the weather Empty 10 weather expressions

Message  MurielB Mar 17 Mar - 21:22

Hi Gérard! Hi Krystyna!
  These expressions use natural phenomena  as metaphors to talk about something else. You can see for yourself.
http://www.englishchat247.com/10-weather-expressions-in-english/

1. Storm out (verb phrase): to leave in anger, or to leave angrily. If you storm out of a room, you may ran out quickly, break something and slam the door on your way out.
  2. Example 1: After the fight with her husband, Marry stormed out of the apartment.

Example 2: He must have been really angry with your behavior because he stormed out without even looking back.
Tip: To remember this phrase, think of the real storm. There are usually strong winds, heavy rain, loud thunder and lightning. Just like that, people who storm out make a lot of angry sound.

Example 1: I don’t think I can join the race today. I’m feeling a bit under the weather.
Example 2: She looks a bit under the weather. I should go check up on her. (see our Bonus section for the phrasal verb to check up on somebody)
Tip: What happens when you are under the weather for too long? You may get worn out. See our Bonus section for more on this phrase.

Example 1: If she can just weather the storm of this lawsuit, she may even come out a millionaire.
Example 2: Every time the manager gives somebody a scolding, we stay in the room to weather the storm together. We are like a family now.
Tip: This phrase can literally means to survive a physical storm. If there is a huge storm, especially with flooding or even tornadoes and somebody live through it, we say that he or she has weathered the storm.

Example 1: Don’t talk about this to anyone ok! I don’t want Lilly to get wind of the secret birthday party that we are throwing for her.
Example 2: The army has gotten wind of the enemy’s ambush before it actually happened.
Tip: DO NOT confuse this with another verb phrase of wind: to pass wind. See out bonus section to find out why.

Example 1: She was really happy with her promotion at work but I rained on her parade by saying that she will be overworked.
Example 2: I hate Helen! She always rains on other people’s parade! She cannot let anyone be happy!
Tip: a parade is a public celebration, usually with marching and music. For example, you have a parade for your country’s independence day. So if it rains on the parade, a happy event will become less enjoyable.

Example 1: I can’t come to your dinner tonight, but I will take a rain check.
Example 2: Not today but I’ll take a rain check on your invitation.
Tip: This phrase can go with the preposition on. So you can say to take a rain check on something.

Example 1: The party is not until another hour so I still have some time to relax in the calm before the storm.
Example 2: Everything seems so peaceful tonight. But we all know that it is just the calm before the storm. Tomorrow, the battle begins.
Tip: Native speakers have used this phrase so often that they may just have to say before the storm and still deliver the same meaning. For example: I would like to rest for a while. You know? Before the storm.

Example 1: I met this amazing girl at the bar last night. I am on cloud nine now!
Example 2: She’s always on cloud nine. I wonder what makes her so happy.
Tip: See our bonus section at the end of this article for another similar expression.

Example 1: I kept quiet about my promotion because I don’t want to steal my brother’s thunder. He’s just gotten into a good college.
Example 2: Stop stealing my thunder! It is mine birthday! Mine!
Tip: You can also use this phrase to say that somebody takes a way another person’s authority. For example, if the vice-captain of a team talks to the press all the time, we can say that he is stealing the thunder from the team captain.

[list=10]
[*]Take by storm (verb phrase): to do something quickly, usually in a sudden and overwhelming way. When Lady Gaga first made her debut, she took the music industry by storm because she became famous very fast and had a very dramatic style.
[/list]
Example 1: We have fewer soldiers than the enemy. Therefore we must take their base by storm before they realize what hits them.
Example 2: She took the entertainment industry by storm after her first album topped the chart in 20 countries all over the world.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin