Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?

Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition? Empty Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?

Message  gerardM Ven 9 Mai - 22:31

Hi everyone,

-> Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
There are numerous myths relating to grammatical dos and don’ts, many of which were drummed into us at school. The one that stubbornly refuses to budge from my mind is the diktat ‘never begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and or but’. And why not, pray?*
English is not Latin
there are four main types of situation in which it is more natural to end a sentence or clause with a preposition:
* passive structures (she enjoys being fussed over)
* relative clauses (they must be convinced of the commitment that they are taking on)
* infinitive structures (Tom had no-one to play with)
* questions beginning with who, where, what, etc. (what music are you interested in?)
Most attempts to avoid stranding or deferring prepositions in the following examples end up sounding over-formal, awkward, or like Yoda in Star Wars

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition? Empty Re: Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?

Message  gerardM Ven 9 Mai - 22:49

Illustration by a joke:
A snobbish English teacher was sitting in an Atlanta airport coffee shop waiting for her flight back to Connecticut, when a friendly Southern belle sat down next to her.

‘Where y’all goin’ to?’ asked the Southern belle.

Turning her nose in the air, the snob replied ‘I don’t answer people who end their sentences with prepositions’.

The Southern belle thought a moment, and tried again. ‘Where y’all goin’ to, bitch?’

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas