Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks

2 participants

How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks Empty How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks

Message  gerardM Mar 1 Juil - 22:17

Howdy.

How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks Temp85
(click pic to read article)

With a handful of recordings of those words (freely accessible through Web sites such as Rhinospike.com and Forvo.com) and with testing software such as Anki (ankisrs.net), you can build powerful ear-training tools for yourself. These are tools that, after just a few hours of use, will make foreign words easier to hear and easier to remember, and they may give you the edge you need to finally learn the languages you've always wanted to learn.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks Empty Re: How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks

Message  MurielB Mer 2 Juil - 22:02

What about Tomatis method ? It also focuses on pronunciation first.
http://www.tomatis.com/en/tomatis-method/areas-of-application/integration-of-foreign-languages.html

The goal of the TOMATIS Method is to give to anyone wishing to learn a foreign language the possibility of truly appropriating these rhythms and sounds by allowing the ear to adapt itself effectively to this foreign music, so that it may analyze and reproduce it. This requires that students free themselves from the usual rhythmic and sonorous habits of their native language, habits that often have a negative influence on learning a new language.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Mer 2 Juil - 22:13

Hi Muriel,

I didn't read the web page you pointed out yet... thanks anyway.

I would like to insist on the importance of foreign sounds, especially for adults. I wrote several times here that the French couldn't hear English sounds properly so that they have the impression they can pronounce as they fancy it.
With training we'll find it difficult, without, we'll think it is a mess.

I remember the number of times I had to repeat "cap" without being understood by a group of British till I made a gesture...
I also remember being unable to understand foreigners asking their way in Paris and I needed a couple of seconds before realizing it was just a problem of pronunciation from them.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Jeu 3 Juil - 23:10

Hi Gérard !
yes A language is therefore first of all a kind of music, that is, an ensemble of specific rhythms and sounds. In chinese for instance i have started Michel Thomas's method. You just have to listen, that's all !
http://www.harraps-audio.harrap.com/methode-pages/extraits-langues.html
Hear for yourself and see how good it is.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es