Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Animal intelligence

3 participants

Animal intelligence Empty Animal intelligence

Message  MurielB Mar 22 Juil - 22:07

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/science/17chimp.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

, just a 1.23 percent difference in their genes separates Homo sapiens from chimpanzees

Chimpanzees make tools and use them to acquire food. They can learn to use symbols and understand aspects of human language They are capable of spontaneous planning for the future.
We are not so different from them apart from the reflective thought.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Animal intelligence Empty Re: Animal intelligence

Message  gerardM Mar 22 Juil - 23:00

Muriel,

Thanks for your message.

I think animals/chimps learn more and more things. I mean it's not because humans teach better but because they understand better as if they take advantage of already learned points to go further in their understanding.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  Remy Mer 23 Juil - 9:23

But when will we become smarter than chimpanzees ?

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  MurielB Mer 23 Juil - 13:54

when will we become smarter than chimpanzees ?
When pigs fly Rémy Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mer 23 Juil - 14:05

they understand better as if they take advantage of already learned points to go further in their understanding
Well spotted, Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Lun 22 Oct - 22:51

Let's add something else about animal intelligence because animals continue to amaze us by displaying behaviours we once thought were unique to humans
https://www.zooportraits.com/animal-intelligence-smartest-animal-species/

Dolphins

Dolphins are extremely sociable creatures with a highly developed ability to adapt to their habitat. They help one another when injured or ill and, thanks to their individually distinct calls, they’re able to pass on their knowledge to others. In fact, the list of high level cognitive abilities – including identification, differentiation and behavioural control – goes on and on.

Chimpanzees

These are mankind’s closest relatives. Chimpanzees are sociable animals and form elaborate communities. They are skilled at using different types of tools to carry out complex tasks, such as thin sticks to extract termites and rocks to open fruits. Combined with a powerful memory, these abilities make the chimpanzee the most intelligent (non-human) animal on Earth.

Pigs

Pigs are highly adaptable mammals with a keen ability to learn new skills. In fact, some studies suggest that an adult pig may have a level of intelligence comparable to that of a three year old child! This would make them far smarter than other domestic animals, such as dogs and cats.

Parrots

These birds have an incredible ability to recognise different human faces and have a high aptitude for communication, as can seen by their knack for impersonating human voices. Besides this, parrots possess an excellent memory, which helps them solve complex problems.
Grey African parrot. By Tracy Starr | Shutterstock.com

Elephants

Elephants boast the largest brain of all land animals. These animals are renowned for their sociability and can express a wide range of emotions, including happiness and compassion, as well as pain and grief. They display acts of altruism and self awareness. With a greater memory than even us humans, an elephant truly never forgets!

Crows

These remarkable birds are capable of constructing tools, usings them and saving them for future use. Their cognitive abilities include problem-solving, reasoning and even self-awareness. Despite their relatively small brain, they have a good memory. They can remember other members of their own species and even recognise humans when they pose a threat.

Rats

Rats dream in a similar way to that of humans. Thanks to their ability to process different sensorial cues, they can analyse situations and make their way out of complex mazes. Interestingly, they have been found to display high levels of empathy, making sacrifices for other members of their species. Rats can even make calculations in order to obtain food from a trap without being caught!

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Animal intelligence Empty Are whale intelligent ?

Message  MurielB Dim 25 Oct - 21:58

https://listontap.com/top-15-interesting-facts-whales/
Whales are actually mammals, so, they typically don’t belong to the fish(Pisces) group. Thus, they are more closely related to humans than fishes. They are far more superior in intellect to their aquatic peers
What is going on in the oversized brains of the sea's largest inhabitant ? Spindle neurons or Von Economo neurons are only present in the human brain, in bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas, as well as in whales and elephants. Santiago Ramón y Cajal defined them as giant spindle cells and as one of the most interesting structures in the brain.
Probably because of these wonderful neurons several species of whales have a complex social organisation with different levels of interrelationships, which requires learning and memory for individuals. Several studies have highlighted the specific cultures of different social groups within each species, which implies the transmission of learned behaviour: dialects, specific feeding sites, innovative feeding and hunting techniques, the use of tools, etc.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin