Who says British food is bland and boring ???

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Who says British food is bland and boring ???

Message  Nick le Ven 13 Aoû - 9:24

If you've ever tasted a well cooked slice of roast beef accompanied by a perfectly roasted potato and parsnip, a Yorkshire pudding, and lightly steamed fresh vegetables, well, then you know the fallacy of that statement.

The Sunday roast lunch is a time honoured tradition in Britain. Roast chicken with bacon rolls, sausages, and bread sauce. Roast lamb with mint sauce. Roast pork with crackling and applesauce. By far though, the most popular Sunday roast has got to be roast beef with Yorkshire pudding....

Nick

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Anglais (Langue maternelle) Fr, Es, Russe

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Who says British food is bland and boring ???

Message  MurielB le Lun 28 Mai - 10:03

I have got good news for you Nick. British food and drink are now the new and modern british art. By the way, how are you Nick ?

http://www.channel4.com/news/food-is-the-new-modern-art-britains-hot-young-talent

Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Yes and..no.

Message  katyE le Lun 18 Juin - 17:28

I agree and i dont.

Roast dinner is delicous. I have it almost every Sunday. It is about mixing and matching so you don´t get bored. I like mince or chicken and mushroom pie as well, toad in the hole and other stuff.

I do appreciate the big effort they make to cook this dishes, but come onnnnnnnnnnnnn , it is not as fun and delicious as eating mexican or indian food! =P

Regards
katyE

Lieu : Boulogne sur mer
Langues : Mexicaine Esp (Langue maternelle) gb De Fr

Message  Guilaine le Sam 23 Juin - 18:00

Have you tried Steak and Kidney pie ? And Strawberry trifle ? Delicious !...
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  katyE le Ven 6 Juil - 13:53

I have tried that, it is really nice. I guess once you understand the flavor it is easier to appreciate it. I don´t think the problem with british food is the flavour, but maybe the fat in it? It is something you cannot enjoy every day if you are not used to it. It is not bad for a Sunday Wink
katyE

Lieu : Boulogne sur mer
Langues : Mexicaine Esp (Langue maternelle) gb De Fr

Message  MurielB le Mar 3 Mai - 18:35

Hi Nick, Guilaine, Katy,everyone
I have just come across a very interesting article written by Jess Stauffenberg in the Independent about Britons'new favourite foods and how their eating habits have changed

• There is a drop in the popularity of tinned and canned food (freezer revolution)
  • ready meals and convenience meat products have gone up fivefold
  • People no longer choose white ready sliced bread but Brown and wholemeal instead
  • Pizza and pasta have become very popular now and one may Wonder if it is an Americanisation or a true Italianisation of the British diet
  • Today's generation are more squeamish about eating liver (or any offal) and prefer chicken breast slices
  • seafood and salmon have captured British taste
  • They drink less tea and more coffee
  • British love of chips has remained unchanged (It is no longer takeaway kind wrapped in newspaper but rather oven chips bought at the supermarket)
  • whole fruit and fresh fruit juice sale is increasing

English food might be now healthier but is it a shame that its tradition has changed isn't ?

British food has traditionally been based on beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish and generally served with potatoes and one other vegetable

Why is it that its most popular dish is now made with "curry" ?

Admin

Message  MurielB le Jeu 23 Mar - 23:03

Hi everyone !
It is true that Britain is losing its reputation as Europe's culinary laughing stock. Fish and chips, baked beans and pudding are no longer the only food served in British restaurants

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/18/goodbye-fish-chips-national-food-survey-changing-trends-british-dining

“Shoppers are more plugged in to where their food comes from than ever before, the internet has brought quality produce to our doorsteps at the click of a button, pop-up restaurants are showcasing the latest trends and exciting global cuisines are now as common as fish and chips.

Admin

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut