10 Lies You Were Taught In School

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

10 Lies You Were Taught In School

Message  gerardM le Lun 24 Nov - 23:07

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: 10 Lies You Were Taught In School

Message  MurielB le Ven 27 Jan - 22:54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news_website

Fake news websites seek to mislead, rather than entertain, readers for financial, political, or other gain

Fake news has always been round. We hear lies everywher, not only at school. Nowadays fake news has exploded. It’s all over now;  It  is very difficult to trust what the press tells us and to feel well informed.,Personally I think that the sensational press causing or intended to cause intense feelings, especially of curiosity, horror etc. is no good for those who want to think for themselves.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 14:12, édité 3 fois

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  MurielB le Sam 28 Jan - 21:47

Hi everyone !
All that rings a bell for me. A couple of years ago, I read a book called "Le culte de l'émotion" from Michel Delcroix. That philosopher had noticed that The media choose to produce strong sensations and not peaceful feelings because they need to attract a high number of listeners or readers. The sensational press doesn't care if what they say is true or not. For political or Financial reasons  they want to reach a wide audience. It is very sad because people are often deceived and can't reflect quietlty.

Admin

Message  MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 13:59

Hi Gérard
As i am trying to find post about fake news I came across yours about "10 lies taught at school"but I couldn't open your link
Here it is
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2017/01/28/10-lies-you-were-taught-in-school/

Questioning things and having healthy intelligent conversation around them is a crucial part of evolving our knowledge and advancing forward as a species. But when we allow belief systems or emotions to get in the way, we don’t always see things clearly. So it’s important to remember to question what we know from a place of open mindedness and peace so as to not let those factors get in the way.

Admin

Message  YvesB le Dim 29 Jan - 18:05

Hello everybody,

I had to go to youtube to get the video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyucnM1z62U

Clearly, this type of document is useless. The title itself is simply lurid, and I've never found a single "the top 2/5/10... blah blah" video worth watching.
At best, we may have been taught things that proved wrong afterwards, but they never were deliberate lies. If I had been a student during the dark ages, I'd have been taught that the earth is flat, indeed, and at the time, it would have been the truth, because it was "common knowledge".
Teachers always try to convey what they think is right, but how can you expect them to be up to date in every field they teach ?
So even if what they actually teach is wrong, it is seldom a deliberate lie. (Exceptions ? French school teachers in Algeria ? "Our ancestors had blond hair and blue eyes" ? But what choice did they have ?)

Back to the video.
Well, the guy who made it is either an ignoramus or a blatant liar himself. There are various errors (or plain lies) in the so-called truths he tries to impart, the most brazen being about who discovered America. Leif Erikson says he ? Desparetely wrong. America got populated by Asians who crossed the Bering Straits, 20000, maybe 50000 years ago. How about that for a "discovery" ?

So, to any aficionados who might be reading this : do yourself a huge favour, and move all "top 2/5/10 blah blah" videos straight to your trashbox.
YvesB

Lieu : Niort
Langues : Fr (Langue mater) It, Esp, Port, Gb, Russe, Catalan

Message  NATY le Dim 29 Jan - 20:23

hi Muriel it's very difficult for me
I speak and learn English for three months
bye
have a good evening
Nathalie

NATY

Lieu : Arques
Langues : De, It, Gb, Fr (langue mater)

Message  MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 21:13

Hi Nathalie ! hi Yves !
Thanks a lot for your answer and congratulations to Nathalie for her English. It's a amazing to write that way with only studying English for 3 months.
yves a écrit:but they never were deliberate lies.

Yves I agree with you, they were not deliberate lies but nowadays when I go back to my school years i feel I have been deceived. It was not my teachers' fault of course because they were formatted like that. Let bygones be bygones ( It's useless to try and find a guilty person because there is not any) and let's turn to the future. For instance when I was taught history I had to learn boring things like battles, dates, Kings etc... I was not taught the meaning of things, i was not taught to think about things. For instance : man can manage a small number of people but when there is a big number they have to create a myth : political, religious etc. I had never realized that. I had not understood that when  the hunter-gathers invented agriculture it was not a step forward on the contrary  it a catastrophe. I am very interested in the consecuences of quantum mechanics in my own life but nobody had ever mentioned it to me
quantum mechanics gradually arose from Max Planck's solution in 1900 and was profoundly reconceived in the mid-1920s)
I am not that old ! Very Happy

Nowadays,  i agree, it is very difficult for teachers.  The pupils search everything in the internet and they are not the ones who know everything.  Any way it is a good thing because the teachers' role is to teach how to understand things which is much more interesting !
Sorry for the video but i didn't have the time to Watch it. I try to read everything on the forum which is a very hard job and I can't watch all the videos. I am not the only one of course but enjoy so much reading different view points.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 22:53, édité 1 fois

Admin

Message  YvesB le Dim 29 Jan - 22:41

" I had not understood that when the hunter-gathers invented agriculture it was not a step forward on the contrary"

Is it a reference to the "Sapiens book"? (sorry, for the pseudo quote, I still haven't figured how to do it properly... So much for computers engineers !)

Natalie : congratulations for your english ! After 3 months of portuguese or catalan, I could never have done so well !
Please keep at it !

YvesB

Lieu : Niort
Langues : Fr (Langue mater) It, Esp, Port, Gb, Russe, Catalan

Message  MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 22:55

Is it a reference to the "Sapiens book"?
Yes I have found that book amazing;

Admin

Message  Sébastien le Lun 30 Jan - 7:51

Hi everyone and thanks MurielB for inviting all of us to take part to this discussion.

From my side, I haven't been able to go on MurielB's link but only on YvesB's youtube video and I barely remember me having been taught 2 of these 10 "lessons". So I have to say that if they were, they would have had any consequence on me (I think...).

It is true that ideally, all teachers should only spread truth to young minds. But not introducing personal point of views (like I remember some History/Geography teachers about politicians), truth is true until the point someone proves you that's wrong. So teachers might think it's true because studying can have occured decades ago (and relied on the teaching of others who had the same issue) and they are not working in an environment stimulating them enough for this purpuse (since they are employed for teaching and not for learning)... I am no teacher but I suppose some kinda mendatory yearly-basis training for teachers might improve it, but I am not sure the government would pay for all (all then we come always back to money Sad...)

Sébastien

Lieu : Bethune
Langues : Français(langue mater), Gb, Deu, It

Message  gerardM le Lun 30 Jan - 23:08

MurielB a écrit:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news_website

Fake news websites seek to mislead, rather than entertain, readers for financial, political, or other gain
Hi Muriel,
I won't write about "lies at school" nor about scientific theories (which are considered as THE TRUTH and the possibility of big progress inside a specific validity range TILL further research and new theory) but here just a few words about disinformation.
For long, "approximate truth" such as in religions, are spread in the society...
On the Internet, fake information is published, most of the time intentionally and for various reasons.

-1- I'd like to point out that people must check the truth before forwarding such fake information as it's disastrous when someone you know and trust also publishes.
-2- I'd like to point out intentional false information published throughout the Internet in a period of election campaign, just to influence future votes, discrediting certain candidates; every political party prepares (and prepared) special files but the Internet makes propaganda more efficient.
-3- I don't know if this will be considered as information (I do). I'd like to point out a catastrophe concerning the primaries (elections): nowadays, people have to vote about 6 times (2 times 2 for the primaries of the 2 main wings plus 2 times for the official votes); nowadays, people also vote to choose their "favorite opponent" - someone as far as possible from their own candidate... the height of disinformation/disact*.

* my word "disact" doesn't exist: I make it up because it's worse than disinformation, it's the opposite of normal acting - vote for our candidate (vote for the worse opponent  scratch  ).

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB le Mar 31 Jan - 21:47

Gérard what do you think of the fact that the word fake news is not properly understood by the French. They  think that fake news means lies and it is not exact.

false=>Untrue,  intended to deceive
fake=>something made to look real
For instance websites can pretend to be  press institutions  but are not
The pope who  endorsed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was spread through  a fake news web site. Is the word you have made up "disact" means false or fake ?

Admin

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut