Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Dawn French Fan Club

2 participants

Page 12 sur 13 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Suivant

Dawn French Fan Club - Page 12 Empty Re: Dawn French Fan Club

Message  gerardM Mer 9 Sep - 21:38

Usually, "I feel like..." is an expression they use to express they would like to do something.
Here it's the opposite...
Here "I feel like..." just means I'm feeling as if...

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Mer 9 Sep - 21:45

good explanation  !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Sep - 10:20

> it's very sweet
That's not common from Dawn French, that English comedian who often says harsh not to say rude words.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 11 Sep - 21:27

another proverb, but by Dawn French! LOL

A Dawn French version of "life is like a box of chocolates" Wink
 For those who don't know about chillies, i can tell you that they are very hot !  
ot Dawn French Fan Club - Page 12 9k=

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 14 Sep - 11:45, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Sam 12 Sep - 21:37

The opposite is "the other way round" I do like that expression !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Sep - 21:39

MurielB a écrit:The opposite is "the other way round" I do like that expression !
You are quite right Muriel.
"The opposite" has a strong meaning in English; in French we often use "au contraire" instead of "à l'opposé".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Sep - 23:34

An elderly man in Louisiana had owned a large farm for several years. He had a large pond in the back. It was properly shaped for swimming, so he fixed it up nice with picnic tables, horseshoe courts, and some apple and peach trees.
One evening the old farmer decided to go down to the pond, as he hadn't been there for a while, and look it over. He grabbed a five-gallon bucket to bring back some fruit. As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer, he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny-dipping in his pond.
He made the women aware of his presence and they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, 'we're not coming out until you leave!'
The old man frowned, 'I didn't come down here to watch you ladies swim naked or make you get out of the pond naked.'
Holding the bucket up he said, 'I'm here to feed the alligator...'
Some old men can still think fast...

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Sep - 11:42

A Mum visits her son who lives with a girl roommate.
During the course of the dinner, his mother couldn't help but notice how pretty his roommate was. She had long been suspicious of a relationship between the two, and this had only made her more curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two interact, she started to wonder if there was more between him and his roommate than meet the eye.
Reading his mum's thoughts, the son volunteered, “I know what you must be thinking, but I assure you, we are just roommates."
About a week later, his roommate came to him saying, “Ever since your mother came to dinner, I've been unable to find the silver plate. You don't suppose she took it, do you?"
He said, "Well, I doubt it, but I'll email her, just to be sure."
He sat down and wrote :
"Dear Mum:
I'm not saying that you ‘did' take the silver plate from my house, I'm not saying that you ‘did not' take the silver plate .. But the fact remains that it has been missing ever since you were here for dinner.
Love,
Danny"
Several days later, he received an email from his Mother which read:
"Dear Danny:
I'm not saying that you ‘do' sleep with your roommate, and I'm not saying that you ‘do not' sleep with her. But the fact remains that if she was sleeping in her OWN bed, she would have found the silver plate by now, under the pillow…
Love,
Mum."

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 13 Sep - 16:10

Hi Gérard, everyone !
I had to look up "I am screwed" in the internet
I am in a position that is a result of a problem or bad situation that seems impossible to solve/get out of

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Sep - 16:26

Muriel,

"Screwed" is much used in the United States.
You could probably see there were several meaning especially in slang.
Here the French equivalent might be from "nous sommes mal barrés" to "on est foutu".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 13 Sep - 17:17

thanks for the explanation !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 13 Sep - 17:19

gerardM a écrit:A Mum visits her son who lives with a girl roommate.
During the course of the dinner, his mother couldn't help but notice how pretty his roommate was. She had long been suspicious of a relationship between the two, and this had only made her more curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two interact, she started to wonder if there was more between him and his roommate than meet the eye.
Reading his mum's thoughts, the son volunteered, “I know what you must be thinking, but I assure you, we are just roommates."
About a week later, his roommate came to him saying, “Ever since your mother came to dinner, I've been unable to find the silver plate. You don't suppose she took it, do you?"
He said, "Well, I doubt it, but I'll email her, just to be sure."
He sat down and wrote :
"Dear Mum:
I'm not saying that you ‘did' take the silver plate from my house, I'm not saying that you ‘did not' take the silver plate .. But the fact remains that it has been missing ever since you were here for dinner.
Love,
Danny"
Several days later, he received an email from his Mother which read:
"Dear Danny:
I'm not saying that you ‘do' sleep with your roommate, and I'm not saying that you ‘do not' sleep with her. But the fact remains that if she was sleeping in her OWN bed, she would have found the silver plate by now, under the pillow…
Love,
Mum."

Clever mummy ! :-)

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 16 Sep - 10:37, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Sep - 19:42

There's a butcher tending to his shop when a dog walks in.
The dog has a note in his mouth, with a $10 bill attached.
The butcher bends down and picks the note out of the dog's mouth, reading aloud he says: "2 pork chops please" and the dog sits.
The butcher, highly impressed, packages two pork chops for the dog, wraps them up and gives the bag to the dog who picks it up and exits the shop.
The butcher was so blown away that he decided he was going to follow this dog on his journey home, and closed up shop.
With the butcher following on the way home, the dog stopped at a stop sign and waited for traffic.
The dog got to a stop light which was red, he waited for it to turn green before crossing the street.
The butcher couldn't believe what he was seeing.
The dog stopped at a bus stop, a bus pulled up with the dog remained on the bench. When the next bus came the dog got on and so did the butcher.
After about five or six stops, the dog reaches his destination and him and the butcher exit the bus.
The butcher follows the dog 1 or 2 more streets around the corner, and stops short of the house at the end of the driveway.
So the dog walks up to the door, he sets the pork chops down and scratches at the door. Nobody answers the door.
The dog stood on his hind legs and scratched harder on the door. No answer.
Frustrated, the dog goes to the side of the house and uses his paw to tap on the window. He goes back to the front door, but nobody answers.
The dog begins to become frantic, and starts to hurl his body at the door slamming into it as loud as possible. He slams and slams and slams.
After about a minute of this, finally somebody opens the door. The dog's owner was not happy to see him, he immediately started to yell, calling the dog a complete idiot.
The butcher, who sees all this happening, ran up the driveway to the owner of the dog to get him to stop. "No!" He exclaimed, "This dog is a genius! I just followed him home, you wouldn't believe what I saw him do to get here!"
"Oh really?!" Says the owner, "Well this is the third time he's forgot his keys this week!!"

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Sep - 21:11

[size=30]Don't you think FRench people look shy?[/size]

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 14 Sep - 21:25

>80%women are against marriage I can't believe that scratch

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 15 Sep - 15:04

Three blondes are attempting to change a light bulb. One of them decides to call 911.
Blonde: "We need help. We're three blondes changing a light bulb."
Operator: "Hmmmmm. You put in a fresh bulb?"
Blonde: "Yes."
Operator: "The power in the house is on?"
Blonde: "Of course."
Operator: "And the switch is on?"
Blonde: "Yes, yes."
Operator: "And the bulb still won't light up?"
Blonde: "No, it's working fine."
Operator: "Then what's the problem?"
Blonde: "We got dizzy spinning the ladder around, and we all fell and hurt ourselves!"

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 16 Sep - 10:33

=>Whenever I find the key to happiness someone changes the lock
Fortunately there's always someone else to blame for what we've done or become. It's never our fault Wink

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Sep - 16:03

Sixteen years ago, a young woman, with a baby in her arms, entered his bakery and confronted the baker with the news that the baby was his and asked what was he going to do about it?
Finally he offered to provide her with free baked goods (bread) until the boy was 16. She agreed.
He had been counting the years off on his calendar, and one day the teenager, who had been collecting the bread each week, came into the shop and said, "I'll be 16 tomorrow."
"I know," said the baker with a smile, "I've been counting too, tell your mother, when you take this loaf of bread home, that it is the last loaf of bread she'll get, and watch the expression on her face."
When the boy arrived home he told his mother. The woman nodded and said, "Son, go back to the baker and tell him I have also had free meat, free milk, and free health care for the last 16 years and watch the expression on his face!"

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Sep - 21:09

someone you’d like to kill but don’t because you’d miss them too much.
Gérard thanks for a new example :  someone with "Them" instead of "him". The masculine doesn't take over the feminine as in France !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Sep - 22:40

MurielB a écrit:
someone you’d like to kill but don’t because you’d miss them too much.
Gérard thanks for a new example :  someone with "Them" instead of "him". The masculine doesn't take over the feminine as in France !
Muriel, could you please tell us how Spanish, German languages address this issue?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Sep - 22:52

Gérard, in spanish i would say
" Una persona que le gustaría matar pero no lo hace porque le echaría de menos demasiado"
In German
jemanden Sie möchte  töten, aber Sie töte nicht, weil Sie ihnen zu viel vermissen würde.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Sep - 23:17

MurielB a écrit:Gérard, in spanish i would say
" Una persona que le gustaría matar pero no lo hace porque le echaría de menos demasiado"
In German
jemanden Sie möchte  töten, aber Sie töte nicht, weil Sie ihnen zu viel vermissen würde.
Muriel,
I'm not able to analyze Spanish.

> someone you’d like to kill but don’t because you’d miss them too much
Regarding German, I guesss there are a few mistakes (möchten, töten, würden), am I wrong?
I guess you are cheating a bit as you translated "them" which is a false word with the singular meaning of "him/her".
Would Germans use "ihnen" for him/her"?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Sep - 23:31

Why do you use the plural in German?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 17 Sep - 23:40, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Sep - 23:39

MurielB a écrit:Why do you use the plurial in German?
What is "ihnen"?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 18 Sep - 8:40

In German the formal address  is the same as the third person plural pronoun Sie while in Spanish it is the third person singular pronoun usted. I was confused and I should write more in German which is such a difficult language ! C\'est vrai!!

what about
jemanden Sie möchten  töten, aber Sie töten nicht, weil Sie ihnen zu viel vermissen würde.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 12 sur 13 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Suivant