Old tactic gets new use: Schools separte girls and boys the New york times

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Old tactic gets new use: Schools separte girls and boys the New york times

Message  MurielB le Mer 25 Fév - 21:32

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/education/single-sex-education-public-schools-separate-boys-and-girls.html?_r=0
Single-sex education, common in the United States until the 19th century, when it fell into deep disfavor except in private or parochial schools, is on the rise again in public schools

Hi everyone !
We all agree that Angeline learns differently from Angelo but is there evidence of substantial difference in brain development between boys and girls ? The idea of separating Girls and boys could, on the contrary reinforce stereotypes. What do you think ?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Lun 2 Mar - 21:23, édité 2 fois

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Old tactic gets new use: Schools separte girls and boys the New york times

Message  Paula le Dim 1 Mar - 23:37

I don’t agree with separating girls and boys... We are different but I believe that, we must learn to live together from we are children. To separate, why? I think that it could reinforce sexual stereotypes...
I would like to know other opinions cat
Paula

Lieu : Galice(Espagne), Calais
Langues : Espagnol(LM), Anglais, Galicien

Message  MurielB le Lun 2 Mar - 21:06

Hi Paula !
When I was a little girl, I was in a separate school. There were only girls.  At that time there were specific jobs for boys and specific jobs for girls. Sex stereotypes were important.  Nowadays we tend to think that each person has individual desires, thoughts, and feelings, regardless of their gender. it's not perfect but it's improving. It's sad to go backwards.

Admin

Message  Remy le Lun 2 Mar - 21:29

Hi everyone !

to my mind, it's better to mix boys and girls, so they can get to know each other and learn playing doctor.

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  MurielB le Lun 2 Mar - 21:30

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admin

Message  gerardM le Lun 2 Mar - 22:28

Remy a écrit:... and learn playing doctor.
Yes probably led to true vocations Wink
If they separate children, there will be less doctors.

less doctors or more... I'm here referring to doctors who were charged with vaginal touch on ladies under general anaesthetic, and explanations from the Council of the College of Physicians claiming it was normal practice affraid and permitted !!!

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

boys&girls

Message  moblo29 le Mar 24 Mar - 13:45

I have been in a famous French school for 3 years, and in my class, there was only one girl !
Moreover, it was a boarding school, so at night and during lunch break we were only boys.
It only reminds me great memories, since being only with boys was something incredible : same tastes, same jokes and all that stuff.
However, young boys are attracted by young girls that's natural so sometimes it was a bit boring just being surrounded by boys ^^
boys and girls, we are made to be together Very Happy

moblo29

Lieu : ??
Langues : français, anglais, espagnol, italien, arabe

Message  Guilaine le Mar 24 Mar - 22:34

I do think it is much better to have boys and girls together in the same class.
They learn to live together and get prepared for a future life in which they will have so many things to share, or... to make do with !
Some people get to know each other so closely that they get married after their studies, having met at school !
The story does not say if the marriage is a success !
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  Laziz le Mar 24 Mar - 22:44

Paula a écrit: don’t agree with separating girls and boys... We are different but I believe that, we must learn to live together from we are children. To separate, why? I think that it could reinforce sexual stereotypes...
I would like to know other opinions   cat                              
[/font]

In India, from very old time up to not long ago, boys were send to gurukula. From around 5 years
old they will be send to a guru ashram and they will stay there up they are old enough to get home and get married.
Up to that time, they are called brahmacari; it means celibacy. After that, they get married or they continue
the celibacy life.

In my young age, in Algeria or in France, kids were separated in school. Even during the breaks, the children were
separated by a barrier; they did not play together. It was only in high school that girls and boys could be in the same
class or sit one next to the other. I think it was much better for studying, especially for boys ...

But now, they are no more boys and girls... I mean to say that you may be a boy in a body of a girl or a girl in the body
of a boy and you will learn your gender when you are 18 years old or more. That is the new trend.
That is my opinion.

Laziz

Lieu : Algérie
Langues : français, anglais, algérien

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://maroudiji.over-blog.fr/

Message  MurielB le Mer 25 Mar - 9:03

Hi Paula, Gérard, Guilaine, Laziz, Moblo29,Remy !
Thanks  for telling us your view point. I personally think that school must be mixed, secular and for all: boys and girls, regardless of their origin, their religion, their handicap. If we divide the children at school the result  will be a divided and stereotyped society. People Can't live together if they are not prepared at a young age to do so. Our children were brought up in a mixed school. They  are more open minded than we are and have no problem with gender identity. We (My husband and I) were educated in a separated school up to the age of 18.  We  now  try our best to make up for lost time.
On a side note, I met my husband at school when I was 18 in  the sixth form, when for the first time there were boys in my class. A couple of years later we got married. Very Happy

Admin

Message  MurielB le Mar 2 Aoû - 22:04

Hi Paula, Guilaine,Laziz, Moblo29, Gérard, Rémy.
This is another article which says that boys and girls should be taught differently. What do you think ? should we start again separating boys and girls?
It now appears that the language areas of the brain in many five-year-old boys look like the language areas of the brain of the average three-and-a-half-year-old girl….
Trying to teach a five-year-old boy to learn to read and write may be just as inappropriate as it would be to try to teach three-year-old girls to read and write…
Asking five-year-old boys to learn to read – when they’d rather be running around or playing games – may be the worst possible introduction to school, at least for some boys.

=>https://www.nationalparentsorganization.org/blog/23057-boys-not-the-problem-schools-treating-boys-like-girls-is-the-problem

Admin

Message  MurielB le Jeu 4 Aoû - 22:16

Hello everyone
After careful overall reflection I think that separating boys and girls at school could reinforce sexual stereotypes.  In every branch. our society needs both genders

Admin

Message  Guilaine le Ven 5 Aoû - 23:28

After reading the link attached to the preceding post, I don't know really if gender discrimination at pre-elementary school is a good thing. But I observe in my own family that there is a difference between boys and girls achievements at that age, as far as language, reading and writing are concerned.
Should the girls be more encouraged to excell still better from that age ?
Are they stopped in their performances due to the presence of less advanced boys in the same class ?
The question is raised and resolved in New York. Have they found negative arguments out of that experience ?
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  MurielB le Dim 7 Aoû - 11:18

Thanks Guilaine for your very interesting comments and your observation in your own family.

Have they found negative arguments out of that experience ?
Yes we could ask NY public schools for their conclusions.

Admin

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut