Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3

3 participants

Page 21 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Suivant

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Empty Re: Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3

Message  MurielB Ven 11 Nov - 22:57

:-) Great !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Empty Re: Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Nov - 15:31

?!

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQBTT8VH5XQp49vy&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fcontenthub-static%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F11%2FCover-Fist

8 Uncommon Typography and Punctuation Marks
*%$?!
WWW.GRAMMARLY.COM

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Sam 12 Nov - 18:55

No, I've never seen those typos !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Nov - 21:12

MurielB a écrit:No, I've never seen those typos !
Muriel,
I'm not sure you could get the true page as there was kinda ads.

Here's the page -> https://www.grammarly.com/blog/eight-uncommon-typography-and-punctuation-marks/

asterism - "triple asterisks, are also used to divide chapters"

I'm not sure as I didn't see it recently but in California, the lozenge is used on freeways to show the lane (on the left) reserved for cars with 2 or more passengers (including the driver).

The "Reference mark" reminds me of dictionary marks showing old words.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 12 Nov - 22:03

Thanks a lot Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 24 Nov - 14:10

Happy Thanksgiving!
(via Incidental Comics

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 15220143_1412661575419495_6420510947306089495_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 24 Nov - 17:27

Cheers.

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 15135777_1412253312126988_8359112492518555583_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 25 Nov - 17:28

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
~Benjamin Franklin
True Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 27 Nov - 20:28

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 15170981_1415706965114956_6322586015451105229_n

gerardM

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Empty 10 secrets you must know if you want to be happy

Message  MurielB Dim 27 Nov - 22:59

http://www.beliefnet.com/wellness/galleries/what-makes-you-happy-10-secrets-you-must-know.aspx?p=3

What makes you happy? You might think it would be money, power or fame. Well, think again. Positive psychology doesn't agree...

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 29 Nov - 22:11

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQAqOS4uiER5C46t&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fphotos.socialagency.com%2F555%2F1480367490414_d29yZHMtZW5nbGlzaC1uZWVkcy5qcGc%3D.original

10 Words English Needs to Capture All the Feels
We're catching feelings about these emotional words.
WWW.GRAMMARLY.COM

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 30 Nov - 16:00

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQABhmT51p-BFHyy&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fphotos.socialagency.com%2F555%2F1480443488339_ZW5kYW5nZXJlZC13b3Jkcy5qcGc%3D.original

6 Words We Should Save From Extinction
Are your favorite words in danger of extinction?
WWW.GRAMMARLY.COM

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 1 Déc - 21:20

Gérard, I think that it is a shame to use who instead of whom because in that way the sentence is less clear. Anyway, we have to cope with evolution! Here are more details if people are interested to know.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-still-grammatically-correct-to-use-whom

Whom is not used very often in spoken English. Who is usually used as the  object pronoun, especially in questions: Who did you invite to the  party?
The use of whom as the pronoun after prepositions is very  formal: To whom should I address the letter?He asked me with whom I  had discussed it. In spoken English it is much more natural to use who  and put the preposition at the end of the sentence: Who should I  address the letter to?He asked me who I had discussed it with.
In  defining relative clauses the object pronoun whom is not often used.  You can either use who or that, or leave out the pronoun completely: The family (who/that/whom) I met at the airport were very kind.
In  non-defining relative clauses who or, more formally, whom (but not that) is used and the pronoun cannot be left out: Our doctor,  who/whom we all liked very much, retired last week. This pattern is not  used very much in spoken English.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 1 Déc - 21:27, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 1 Déc - 21:34

Muriel,
English speaking persons are very pragmatic: as EMTs themselves make mistakes or even don't know about "whom"...
In teh States, they state: "people rule" (American language has to be the spoken language).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 1 Déc - 21:37

When I  learn the German language, I  do my best my Dative, Genitive, Accusative etc. so I have to cope with the English speaking persons pragmatism.   The Americans must be right !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 3 Déc - 22:03

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQC3whY6wyMeEOvh&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fcontenthub-static%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F12%2Fblog87

7 Tips for Great Holiday Greetings
You may be in the holiday spirit and ready to create the perfect greeting card, but where do you start?
WWW.GRAMMARLY.COM

NB: Would you get an ad on your screen, push "Esc".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 4 Déc - 22:28

Ok I will try not to write at the last minute as I did last year !

confused confused

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 4 Déc - 22:56

As you may know it, British people like to receive greetings in December (January is too late) and to display the cards on the mantle of their chimneys.
This custom went to the US (so many Brits out there) as well.

"Someone" tells me that in Australia they don't have chimneys: the cards are often displayed on a string in front of the window so that neighbors can see you have many friends Smile (and some persons write to themselves to get a high score).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 5 Déc - 10:09

Gérard a écrit:and some persons write to themselves to get a high score

That is cheating ! Evil or Very Mad but it must be allowed at that period of the year ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 16:43

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQBqPW471qpymPBP&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fphotos.socialagency.com%2F555%2F1480981794848_SGFzLXRoZS1pbnRlcm5ldC1raWxsZWQtZ29vZC1ncmFtbWFyLS5qcGc%3D.original

We Analyzed Billions of Words in 2016. Here's What We Found.
How well did we write this year, you ask? Never fear, our grammar nerds crunched the numbers.
GRAMMARLY.COM

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 6 Déc - 21:05

Gérard, slang is here to stay ! Never mind so long as it is fun !
Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 9k=Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Slang-wordle

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 6 Déc - 22:00

There are several levels of possible language, depending on the people in front.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Mar 6 Déc - 23:34, édité 1 fois (Raison : mistake fixed)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 6 Déc - 22:43

I agree, Gérard that in front of our boss, we must avoid the slang language ! affraid

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Déc - 20:20

That's cold.

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 15338655_1429459443739708_4352804267835062626_n

That's very interesting.
Of course it's a pun/play on words.
"Draft" has got several meanings.
What's interesting is that there's a word the pronunciation of which is draft but not the spelling (at least for BE - in fact it's different in British and American English).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Déc - 21:01

LONG LIVE GOOD GRAMMAR.

Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 3 - Page 21 Safe_image.php?d=AQC0HQiru_DDE2A3&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fphotos.socialagency.com%2F555%2F1481065739477_QXJlLWdyYW1tYXItcnVsZXMtcmVhbGx5LXJ1bGVzLmpwZw%3D%3D.original

Which Grammar Rules Are Dying?
We all make mistakes. But is the definition of a grammar mistake changing?
WWW.GRAMMARLY.COM

NB: Clicking image, you'll get ad: puch the "Esc/Echap" key.

The article is bloody exciting.

gerardM

Page 21 sur 40 Précédent  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Suivant