Poor rich Manhattan women

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Poor rich Manhattan women

Message  MurielB le Ven 12 Juin - 21:28

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/05/18/anthropologist-discovers-rich-manhattan-women-are-receiving-wife-bonuses/

To study this “elite tribe,” anthropologist Martin spent time with more than 100 of wives for over six years and found that the women were surprisingly cloistered from their husbands. The most baffling revelation was the existence of “wife bonuses” that they received for good housekeeping, which “might be hammered out in a pre-nup or post-nup, and distributed on the basis of not only how well her husband’s fund had done but her own performance — how well she managed the home budget, whether the kids got into a “good” school — the same way their husbands were rewarded at investment banks.” Viewing this through the lens of anthropology, Martin sees this as evidence of a “sex-segregated society” where women are comparatively disempowered and dépendent.

Although these women had advanced degrees from prestigious universities and business schools and married to rich, powerful men, they are looked down upon.
the conclusion is that The more hierarchical the society, and the more sex segregated the society is, the lower the status of women.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 12 Juin - 21:50, édité 2 fois

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Poor rich Manhattan women

Message  gerardM le Ven 12 Juin - 21:43

Very strange article!

Full story in the New York Times -> Poor Little Rich Women

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Re: Poor rich Manhattan women

Message  MurielB le Ven 12 Juin - 21:51

Yes Gérard, it's very strange indeed. I have just read it in "courrier international" and I wanted to write it in English for our forum.

Of course anyone's comment is welcome.

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut