Do Religions Really Cause Violence?

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Message  gerardM le Dim 23 Aoû - 14:13

Howdy.

Discovery News

DO RELIGIONS REALLY CAUSE VIOLENCE?: Throughout history, religion has been tied to massive tragedy and loss of life, but is religion truly at fault for events like The Crusades?

Throughout history religion has been tied to massive tragedy and loss of life but is religion truly at fault for events like The Crusades?
TESTTUBE.COM

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Do Religions Really Cause Violence?

Message  MurielB le Dim 23 Aoû - 21:39

Gérard when you follow a spiritual guide and when you belong to a community with the same beliefs, you tend to  think that you and the members of your community  are right and that those who are outside that community are wrong. It is dangerous or course and no good for anyone !
Any way All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.(Dalai lama)
 This quote is also shared by the enlightened atheists because without lofty ideas our societies collapse and it is the end of the world ! affraid

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  Admin le Mar 25 Aoû - 23:32

It's in the nature of a living thing to be violent because he need to eats other living things to survive. An a religion is just a group of living things ....
Everybody is more or less violent (not only physically!!).
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Message  MurielB le Mer 26 Aoû - 21:49

There are 2 forces in the universe.

•  Violence=> The strongest want to eat up the weakest  (survival of the fittest)
  • Love, compassion and forgiveness.=> A kind of transcendence could act through us.

Admin

Message  MurielB le Jeu 27 Aoû - 10:00

Mind you ! If violence dominates over Love, it's the end of the world ! affraid

Admin

Message  Admin le Jeu 27 Aoû - 12:57

There is violence and love in every alive thinks. All is not completely white, but all isn't completely black (hopefully)

A world only based on love isn't valuable: this is the mix love/violence how make the human evoluate. Look at some tributes only based on love (like pygmees, bushmen ...), they are not evoluated anyway.
So a only-loving word is a static world, but you're right that a only-violent world in the end!

I love you and Evil or Very Mad !
Admin
Admin

Message  MurielB le Jeu 27 Aoû - 18:00

There is violence and love in every living being
I agree with you Florent. Anyway love doen't mean   " accepting everything and being permissive "

Admin

Message  MurielB le Jeu 27 Aoû - 22:30

When you bring up a child you have to

1. let him choose for himself what he wants to do, what he wants to be (not cut his wings)
  2. and at the same time set limits because he is a social animal and he will have to live in harmony with the other human beings and his environment.

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 28 Aoû - 10:24

MurielB a écrit:When you bring up a child you have to

1. let him choose for himself what he wants to do, what he wants to be (not cut his wings)
  2. and at the same time set limits because he is a social animal and he will have to live in harmony with the other human beings and his environment.

Muriel, "child" is not masculine.
Don't let believe Americans are sexist, Am women wouldn't permit it.

gerardM

Message  Admin le Ven 28 Aoû - 10:44

Thanks Gérard!!
But what is the genre of "child"?
Is Muriel wrong?
Admin
Admin

Message  MurielB le Ven 28 Aoû - 12:16

Florent In France the masculine form takes precedence over the feminine form. It is not true in America because they are less sexist than we are. Instead of saying his child, i could have said "their children".
MurielB a écrit:
When you bring up children you have to

1. let them choose for themselves what they want to do, what they want to be (not cut their wings)

2. and at the same time set limits because they are social animals and they will have to live in harmony with the other human beings and their environment.

Sorry Gérard and thanks for reminding  me !

Admin

Message  Admin le Ven 28 Aoû - 14:05

Thanks!
Admin
Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 28 Aoû - 14:52

Florent,

As Muriel wrote it, Americans are very careful about this point. American ladies were "leading the country" during WWI, working in armaments plants and they demanded respect.
So there's no precedence of masculine over feminine. Americans don't use his or her unless it is obvious; instead there are several ways:
- he/she, him/her, his/her
- (s)he, him/her, his/her
- they created new pronouns but I forgot them (I posted this here 1 or 2 months ago)
- the most common method is to use the "plural" pronouns: they, them their.
Americans respect this point and it's a mistake to choose "he" (the French tend to make the mistake).

On the other hand, it's not true that English speaking people use neutral when there's no obvious gender.
If they usually use "it" for babies", they easily use "she" for things they like such as cats, dogs, cars, boats.
Except for human beings (sexism issue) Americans are very flexible about grammar (I mean the rules are not strict and they won't frawn). A consequence is that English speaking people won't point out the mistake but this will be a clue about your sexism.

gerardM

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut