Immigration in the USA: tracking down deportation target

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Immigration in the USA: tracking down deportation target

Message  Admin le Mer 30 Sep - 14:25

In the United States, where illegal immigrant commits an offense and has stopped by the police, it should be easy to extend it to the border. However, laws vary from state to state and does not simplify the task of the federal agency of the Border Police.

If the ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agent pick up a illegal migrant, contact local jail to check if the's not a criminal. He is realeased only if he's OK.
ICE officals have held up the agency new Priority Enforcement Program as a cheaper and safer alternative to dramatic neightborhood raids.
It is not the case in Europe, right?

Translation
To held up ... présenter
Admin
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français, Gb

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Immigration in the USA: tracking down deportation target

Message  MurielB le Mer 30 Sep - 14:58

Thanks Florent for that interesting phrasal verb
To hold up : 1. To obstruct or delay.

2. To rob while armed, often at gunpoint.

3. To offer or present as an example: held the essay up as a model for the students.

4. To continue to function without losing force or effectiveness; cope: managed to hold up under the stress.

Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Mer 30 Sep - 20:02

Hi Muriel, Florent,

There're a few other meanings Muriel:
hold up (without any complement behind):
1 (remain intact) to hold up well [currency]
2 (remain valid) [theory, argument]
hold [sb/sth] up, hold up [sb/sth]
1 (support) [shelf, picture]; [trousers, stockings]; eg to be held up by or with
2 (raise)  [object]; eg to hold one's hand up
3 (display) eg to hold sb/sth up as an example or model of; to hold sb up to ridicule
4 (delay) [person, flight]; [production, traffic]; [procession]
5 (rob) [train, bank, person]

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM le Mer 30 Sep - 20:57

Florent,

If you permit me, I'll color in red words that I dislike (mistaken), please could you find out why and fix them? If you prefer, I can give the solution but I guess it's better for you to do this exercise.

Admin a écrit:... In the United States, where illegal immigrant commits an offense and has stopped by the police, it should be easy to extend it to the border. However, laws vary from state to state and does not simplify the task of the federal agency of the Border Police.

If the ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agent pick up a illegal migrant, contact local jail to check if the's not a criminal.  He is realeased only if he's OK.
ICE officals have held up the agency new Priority Enforcement Program as a cheaper and safer alternative to dramatic neightborhood raids.
It is not the case in Europe, right?

Translation
To held up ... présenter
I hope you're aware that you are using American spelling rather than British spelling: that's fine as I'm doing the same, provided you are aware of it (and know the difference).

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mer 30 Sep - 21:50

Thanks Gérard and Florent for that very interesting exchange ! I enjoyed it and I learnt a lot ! Very Happy

Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  Admin le Mer 30 Sep - 22:34

OK, thanks to be patient with me, especially today because I made a lot of mistakes ... I must be tired!
But I continue to write down ... with mistakes, so why you're "hot" to correct me (I joke, I really appreciate Laughing )

According to immigration in Europe, Calais is the symbol of this human disaster. Listen to the non-governmental associations the problem will increase: for the moment there is only political and economical refugees; but in the future climatic refugees will come.
What do you think?
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Message  gerardM le Mer 30 Sep - 22:53

Florent,

> I made a lot of mistakes
Mistakes are not a big problem; on the other hand they are opportunities to progress.

In my family...
I was better than my children regarding grammar (as a kid I had to learn grammar a lot) but I stayed speechless for long because I was waiting for perfection (it's the consequence of French schooling 4-5 decades ago: books only).
My kids didn't give a shit, they didn't hesitate to talk, whatever the mistakes and they were right (they learned English in a "laboratoire de langues").
Mistakes are not a big problem.

gerardM

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut