Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines

+2
MurielB
gerardM
6 participants

Page 1 sur 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Suivant

Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines Empty Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines

Message  gerardM Mar 2 Avr - 23:07

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.
Hi everyone, let's speak about DRONES

My words come from an article read in the National Geographic Magazine of March 2013.

Drones are something very important nowadays.
They are used for wars and avoid to put many soldiers in danger. There are several sizes for the drones and tiny ones can view the positions and actions of the enemy's troops, then make better decisions.

Drones are manufactured by several coutries especially the USA but also Germany; France is far behind and must get the US to lend us these machines.

Americans now tend to avoid wars (and let France to make them).
The article is about the civil use of drones which are no loger making wars.

There are very interesting civil uses.
In addition, improvements are continously performed so that some drones just have the size of tiny insects (or bugs or birds). The latest improvements consist in mimicking the behavior of the insects as well.
The Pentagon has asked for drones that "hide in plain sight", mimicking the behavior -and size- of bugs and birds.

"Nano Hummingbird": 6.5'' wide, 4.5'' long, 0.66 ounce of weight, max altitude secret, max time aloft 11 minutes, max speed 11 mph.
"Draganflier X6": 36'' wide, 33'' long, 35 ounces of weight, max altitude 8,0000 feet, max time aloft 20 min, max speed 30mph.
"Aurora Skate": 24'' wide, 19'' long, 35 ounces of weight, max altitude 14,300 feet, max time aloft 90 min, max speed 58 mph.

Let me add drone can now fly without any human, not even in front of a screen and a joystick. Nowadays, it's still not permitted for a 100% automatic drone to shoot.
gerardM
gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines Empty Re: Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines

Message  MurielB Mer 3 Avr - 10:49

Hi Gerard, they are very useful in case of nuclear disasters, wars, fires etc. they save lives Smile

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines Empty Re: Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines

Message  gerardM Mer 3 Avr - 11:01

Hi Muriel,

Yes, drones can save lives.

There are other usages and let's trust people to find out less helpful ones. You know, every new technology has got its dark side.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 6 Avr - 0:07

Hi everyone,

I forgot to say there's another word for civil drones: Americans call them "MAV-Micro Air Vehicle".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 17:54

Hi everyone,

Done in Febrary 2013.

France (or rather Delta Drone) decided to open a school for civil drone pilots in Grenoble.
Great!!

-> Une école pour les pilotes de drones civils
-> Delta Drone ouvre aujourd’hui la première « Ecole Française du Drone »
-> http://www.techni-drone.com/?gclid=CIKI1cXByrYCFeXItAodvkIAEw didn't know there was this in Montélimar, good!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 14 Avr - 23:23

You have taught me something, Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 15 Avr - 0:34

I do hope!
... in English language or re drones?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 15 Avr - 13:50

Both ! I also like to open my mind on subjects I don't know anything about.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 15 Avr - 16:10

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Both ! I also like to open my mind on subjects I don't know anything about.
Google's your friend!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 15 Avr - 21:04

"café polyglotte sur le net" and all its members who write on it too ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines Empty Robobees

Message  gerardM Sam 4 Mai - 21:30

Hi everyone,

Recent news are on this object:

-> (cbsnews) "RoboBees" take first flight
(also -> (c|net) Robot bees take first flight)
Harvard University researchers have conducted the first controlled flight of so-called "RoboBees," which weigh less than a tenth of a gram.
Wasn't I speaking about tiny drones?
Drones, robots, Cyborgs intelligent machines 000000032948
(bigger photo clicking the pic above - it was too big for the forum)
(Credit: Kevin Ma and Pakpong Chirarattananon)
Read the CBSnews article as there're other documents and especially several exciting videos.
True that you couldn't confuse with a genuine bee but it's a part of the "hide in plain sight" project.

The news was relayed by Le Monde Informatique -> (French lingo) Un insecte robot bat des ailes à Harvard
If you prefer, here's the version I received on my mobile -> http://mobile.lemondeinformatique.fr/actualites/lire-un-insecte-robot-bat-des-ailes-a-harvard-le-monde-informatique-53484.html (the advantage is that there are no ads and no side-articles)

You rock! WTG guys!  :-)

Enjoy and comment!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 5 Mai - 20:47

Hi Gérard !
After reading your post I thought of all the possibilities a robobee could provide : spying, Helping finding people alive after an earthquake etc. and I didn't think about that
With the bee population in distressing decline, Harvard roboticists have been looking into an artificial solution for pollinating plants
which is awfully important. C\'est vrai!!
http://io9.com/swarms-of-robotic-bees-could-pollinate-the-flowers-of-t-453423657

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 5 Mai - 21:44

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

> Helping finding
Helping find

Another important use (at least for me) is to approach a crazed gunman and know what their weapons are, when they are falling asleep, etc.

The robobee displayed in the photo is a first version, the next ones will look like a genuine bee.

> for pollinating plants
> which is awfully important.
Do you mean you approve?
I would say it's awful, I mean I don't like this at all!!

We read bees are absolutely necessary to the life on Earth, necessary to the whole food chain.
Green associations fight Monsanto and similar firms which poison bees and other species, pointing out it is a critical insect and that Monsanto must be banned.

I'm scared!

I guess scientists nowadays just understand a few, a tiny part of the functions of bees (normal).
If roboticists were allowed to design a creature able to pollinate plants, I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect from the beginning (normal).
But... the result will be that the greens won't be permitted to bother Monsanto with killing bees (and this from the beginning).
The result will be that the bees will disappear and in addition to extinction of this necessary species, robobees won't be able to replace them!!

Don't you think?
I'm scared!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 5 Mai - 22:00

Hi Gérard, everyone
The bees place in our world is important beyond our understanding,I know. It must be difficult for roboticists to copy them. I just cross my fingers. What else can I do ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 5 Mai - 22:29

> What else can I do ?
LOL Create a banner and go demonstrate! Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 6 Mai - 14:37

Hi everyone,

Here's an article, in French, published on LMI-Le monde informatique
-> Un insecte robot bat des ailes à Harvard

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 6 Mai - 15:46

gerardM a écrit:>
LOL Create a banner and go demonstrate! Wink
Hi Gerard ! Hi everyone !
i can see it's a joke what you have written but the subject is serious and you too think it's serious Gérard.
Anyway if "All good deeds start at home" it is important to change our own ways. Take care of our Earth is very important for generations to come : our children, grand children, great grand children etc. What can we do? gardening without pesticides, buying organic fair trade products or local products, riding a bicycle instead of driving a car, walking as much as possible.
at the same time I trust science and scientists. I am not amish whatsoever.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 14 Mai - 0:19

Hi everyone,

If you want/need it, you can own a drone that'll follow you...

-> Your very own drone, to follow you home

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 19 Mai - 13:38

Hi everyone,

Horrible news: La France va-t-elle acquérir des drones américains ?
Is France going to purchase American drones?
I think it's a horrible because the French are technically able to build the best planes and the best drones! The problem is that the French are never in a hurry (they think technics and rarely finances so that other countries are faster due to their economical aims).
Bugger!!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 19 Mai - 19:28

Hi everyone,

Titles are now more affirmative: Le Drian : Paris va acheter des drones américains ou israéliens
Really a pity as, again, we do have the knowledge! We're going to give lots of money ... and we could avoid it:

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 19 Mai - 19:48

Hi Gérard ! Is it because France needs its drones rapidly and can't wait ? Anyway it is a shame because they cost so much.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 19 Mai - 22:29

Hi Muriel,

If France needs to get drones, it's because the US don't want to lend or rent them out. Wink
I'm afraid that if we urgently need drones that could be to lead another war against Syria!! You might think of the "positive conséquences" in politics: when the popularity is not good, a war can provide international fame Sad

I may be wrong but I don't like this urgent need!!
French Engineers are good enough excellent and with a bit of time we can manufacture drones!

Pls Mr President, stop postponing problems and refuse research (I'm not criticizing Mr Hollande but any French President). The French are too often behind with problems... slowness was a part of our culture and well-being but it's no longer possible with globalization!

Let's never forget, we've the best engineers: let's take advantage of our skills!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 20 Mai - 9:57

gerardM a écrit:

I'm afraid that if we urgently need drones that could be to lead another war against Syria!!!
My daughter from Paris has just lent me "holocaust" which is a documentary about world war II. It is awful ! because people were mad 50 million people died. Like everyone else I hate wars because I think they are useless.
With leaders from different countries, there are always secret agreements. Perhaps because of those France had to buy the drones ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 20 Mai - 15:08

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

After several announcements :
- buying American drones
- buying American and Israelian drones

I'm a bit relieved, now:
-> Drones : des modèles made in Europe ?
A bit better!
Sure Europe is able to manufacture... it's time to help European economy.
Why so urgently?

That's sure! France missed the appointment!!

Fed up with politicians who are unable to foresee... they hardly deserve SMIC!!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 20 Juin - 21:02

Hi everyone,

-> Le FBI reconnaît l'usage de drones aux Etats-Unis
Le FBI, la police fédérale américaine a confirmé l'utilisation de drones sur le sol américain par la voix de son directeur, Robert Mueller. "Nous avons très peu [de drones], d'une utilisation limitée, et nous explorons non seulement leur utilisation mais aussi les lignes de conduite nécessaires à cette utilisation", a-t-il précisé devant la commission de la justice du Sénat. Le département de la sécurité intérieure a lui aussi recours à des drones pour surveiller notamment la frontière des Etats-Unis avec le Mexique.

gerardM

Page 1 sur 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Suivant