Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Doomsday clock edges towards midnight

2 participants

Doomsday clock edges towards midnight Empty Doomsday clock edges towards midnight

Message  MurielB Mer 11 Nov - 21:01

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock
Doomsday clock edges towards midnight 600px-Doomsday_Clock_graph.svg
  The lower the graph, the higher probability of technology-induced catastrophe
The Doomsday Clock is a symbolic clock face, representing a countdown to possible global catastrophe (e.g. nuclear war or climate change). It has been maintained since 1947 by the members of the Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists,[1] who are in turn advised by the Governing Board and the Board of Sponsors, including 18 Nobel Laureates. The closer they set the Clock to midnight, the closer the scientists believe the world is to global disaster.

They say that the world has enough power to destroy itself and its inhabitants several times over and that warmer climate, harsher weather, droughts, famine, water scarcity, rising sea levels, loss of island nations an increasing ocean acidification.
When you see that graph you wonder if humanity will be wise enough to take serious measures while there is still time.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Doomsday clock edges towards midnight Empty Re: Doomsday clock edges towards midnight

Message  gerardM Mer 11 Nov - 23:42

Muriel,

Thanks for this graph and information.
We can wonder what's better between the US society, its laisser-faire and Monsanto et al, and Europe, and China: every society needs more and more regulation... along with restriction of freedom.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas