Too thin to work? Fashion models should be benched

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Too thin to work? Fashion models should be benched

Message  MurielB le Mar 19 Avr - 17:28

models are at risk of eating disorders like anorexia nervosa.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-fasion-models-too-thin-to-work-20151222-story.html

Anorexia nervosa is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight loss. It is a problem of public health and top models need as much protection as the children who make clothes in harmful conditions or coal miners whose work destroyed the lungs. It's not a trivial problem because Anorexia is the deadliest of all mental illnesses and making big money at the expense of women is unbearable.
Any comment is welcome.

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Too thin to work? Fashion models should be benched

Message  Remy le Mer 20 Avr - 4:57

Moreover, skinny top-models are not beautiful; slim women are. Photographer's models are slim, but never skinny. Fashion designers are perhaps not able to design dresses for normal women...

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  MurielB le Mer 20 Avr - 12:51

It is a challenge for them in the years to come isn't ?

Admin

Message  gerardM le Mer 20 Avr - 15:19

Hi Muriel, remy,

> coal miners whose work destroyed the lungs
My comment will be that a model can't be compared to coal miners.
Among oodles of other reasons, they don't have the same age and same educational background: a coal miner is usually an adult in charge of a family without much money while a model is young and single and wealthy.
The model has the choice -with her 2 hands and 2 legs and perhaps a brain- to do another job and escape that "calamity"; I don't pity her as it's up to her.

Similarly, I wouldn't say a lady is at high risk when she wears high heels ( http://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/20160108.OBS2431/escarpin-quand-le-pied-prend-trop-de-hauteur-tout-le-corps-en-patit.html )

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  Guilaine le Mer 20 Avr - 16:22

Hello, everyone ! I'd like to share this link with you :

"Jamais assez maigre" a book written by Victoire Maçon-Dauxerre, an ex-top-model who wants to alert young girls about the dangers of the profession.

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/livres/biographie-memoire/jamais-assez-maigre-le-temoignage-choc-d-un-ancien-mannequin-233653
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  MurielB le Jeu 21 Avr - 12:21

Thanks Guilaine for your link. I understand what you mean Gérard but i think that young models should learn how to be sensible and not be attracted by all that glitters.

Admin

Message  gerardM le Jeu 21 Avr - 15:23

Muriel, any youngter has to learn whatever the domain: models are not different and I won't pity them.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut