English Idioms 3

Page 41 sur 41 Précédent  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Re: English Idioms 3

Message  gerardM le Lun 6 Fév - 16:03

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB le Lun 6 Fév - 19:05

Thanks Gérard for these expressions. I would like to add "it's high time" grammar rule which I find interesting
http://www.grammaring.com/its-high-time

IT'S (HIGH) TIME

it's (high) time + past subjunctive
It's (high) time + past subjunctive expresses that something should be done and that it is already a bit late:
to bed. You'll have to get up early tomorrow.It's high time I bought a new pair of jeans.It's about time this road was completed. They've been working on it for months. a écrit:It's time you went
When we say that the right time has arrived for something and we are still in time, we can use the following patterns:
to bed.It's time to say goodbye.It's time for breakfast. a écrit:It's time (for you) to go

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Mar 7 Fév - 14:47

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Mar 7 Fév - 14:59

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mer 8 Fév - 11:08

Thanks Gérard for reminding us of these differences. I find it very difficult to know which language to use. Is it  American English ?  Is it British English ?. I have spent hours on end studying British English and with the advent of the internet and the word wide web a lot of articles are written in American English and i get all mixed up. scratch

Admin

Message  gerardM le Mer 8 Fév - 17:47

MurielB a écrit:...  which language to use. Is it  American English ?  Is it British English ?. I have spent hours on end studying British English and with the advent of the internet and the word wide web a lot of articles are written in American English and i get all mixed up. scratch
Yes Muriel, it's difficult.
In my opinion, we have to avoid to mix both varieties and make a choice.
However, the problem is for many people. British oldies get angry when they hear British youngsters adopting American expressions due to films, songs: young Brits don't speak a "pure" language.

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mer 8 Fév - 22:14

Gérard with your influence I definitely Americanise my British English. When my daughter from Lyon speaks in English she sounds American. I should speak to her in English over the phone. Every morning I sing British nursery rhymes to her little girl because I don't know any American nursery rhymes. Sad

Admin

Page 41 sur 41 Précédent  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut