Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

American English at State

2 participants

Page 18 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Suivant

American English at State - Page 18 Empty Re: American English at State

Message  gerardM Mar 8 Aoû - 23:07

What about senior citizens Muriel?
They are said to continuously complain, to threaten everyone... as for me, I'm famous in all of my stores for my complaints (having time I notice everything wrong - my last one is about the fidelity nest egg which is forgotten by the computers!); I also threaten to take lots of organization to court Smile (last example is my bank).

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM Mer 9 Aoû - 15:21

Have you ever felt homesick? What do you do that helps? Admin calls an old friend or tries to make a new one. #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20729236_10155844792874123_7849947604329450960_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 9 Aoû - 15:26

Tag a Facebook friend who is very "down to earth," and share this graphic with them! #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20663834_10155844694334123_1350617377864067847_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 9 Aoû - 22:10

Gérard a écrit:fidelity nest egg

Tx Gérard for that expressin I didn't know
fidelity nest egg is  a fund of money accumulated as a reserve

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Aoû - 14:23

AE at State Facebook community, you are the cream of the crop! #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20728087_10155847315084123_4059705223140579821_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 10 Aoû - 16:32

Gérard I like the expression" state of the art" but i think it is used for things rather than for human beings;

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Aoû - 22:21

Who do you know who is modest, and doesn't brag about themselves too much? #AmericanEnglish (There are other definitions of modest.)

American English at State - Page 18 20727905_10155850092894123_7555827145385042741_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 12 Aoû - 13:17

Being modest means not looking for crédit, not trying to draw attention to oneself. Facebook seems to encourage the exact opposite.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Aoû - 20:44

Here's a review of our first set of adjectives to describe people. Try to use one or two in a sentence to describe your friends!#AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20664850_10155853008184123_6968523735034747439_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Aoû - 20:58

In your culture, would it be rude to suggest that you and a friend "go Dutch" if you eat at a restaurant together? In the U.S., it can depend on the situation or occasion. #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20728167_10155852906454123_2867109215609845052_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Aoû - 14:48

We're starting a new series on American Slang. What do you think? Who do you like to hang out with? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20728148_10155855614119123_1342490824741298678_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Aoû - 15:29

Do you do your work PERFectly? Listen to this story, and learn syllable stress patterns for three-syllable words ending in -ly. #AmericanEnglish #pronunciation

American English at State - Page 18 20797430_10155850614319123_3687783285418622976_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Aoû - 14:05

Have you ever felt like you just didn't "get it" when someone told a joke in #AmericanEnglish? It can be hard to understand humor in a new language.

American English at State - Page 18 20840886_10155858365484123_6176207751243774102_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Aoû - 18:04

Be generous, not stingy, with your time and resources. We can all share with each other, even if we don't have much. #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20767844_10155858472484123_6645896640639033052_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 15 Aoû - 14:43

The AE Facebook community is nice, good, interesting, and fun. You are cool! #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20770169_10155861172879123_3428312391598654735_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 15 Aoû - 15:51

Singing in front of people? Public speaking? Driving in traffic? What makes you feel anxious? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20798990_10155861301004123_3259617901460050602_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Aoû - 16:47

Share this graphic with a friend who is admirable and write a sentence to tell us why! #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20770459_10155864153344123_5133196539777109310_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Aoû - 17:02

Is there a famous band whose "gig" you would really like to see? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20799537_10155864035699123_707587507344996673_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Aoû - 13:32

Gérard i have searched the word "gig"on the internet.It is also a light carriage(cabriolet) isn't it ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Aoû - 14:57

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Gérard i have searched the word "gig"on the internet.It is also a light carriage(cabriolet) isn't it ?
Gig has oodles of meanings, mainly informal:

-1- meaning in the picture, performance for a musician or a band especially playing modern or pop music, usually a single performance I mean not a tour, not several concerts.

I don't know the origin of gig but it's often something small or unique.

-2- you are right, gig is also a 2-wheeled carriage, driven by one horse
-3- gig is also a small boat
-4- giga- is a prefix used in sciences with a value of 1 billion... hence Gigabyte or in short "Gig".
NB: for "gigaoctet" or "giga", the French pronounce with the first G like in jardin; in English for gigabyte or gig, they pronounce the first G like in garden.

Oodles of informal meanings in the domain of entertainment, anythink partying:
- extension of the musical meaning, it's also used for theater
- a job (in the domain of music, theater or entertainment, but not only... even IT), any temporary or incidental employment
- anything; dancing, eating, partying, drinking, drugs, working out, etc.
Examples in the language of the guys partying (see the interrogative patern):
"Bro you going to Ashley's gig tonight??"
"You wanna go gig on some pizza right now?"
"I gigged way too hard at the gym I'm so sore bruh"
"Ayyy she was giggin last night!"
"Gig so hard make my pants fall down!!"
- Glasses, spectacles, sunglasses eg "Look at those gigs he's wearing"
- gigs - to have rythm in dance, to be able to dance and excel in it
- as a verb meaning to use a spear-like implement to stab into a small animal such as a fish or frog.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Aoû - 15:53

How do you try to be compassionate to those around you? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20882277_10155866800019123_130700551609930117_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Aoû - 21:55

gerardM a écrit:Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Gérard i have searched the word "gig"on the internet.It is also a light carriage(cabriolet) isn't it ?
Gig has oodles of meanings, mainly informal:

-1- meaning in the picture, performance for a musician or a band especially playing modern or pop music, usually a single performance I mean not a tour, not several concerts.

I don't know the origin of gig but it's often something small or unique.

-2- you are right, gig is also a 2-wheeled carriage, driven by one horse
-3- gig is also a small boat
-4- giga- is a prefix used in sciences with a value of 1 billion... hence Gigabyte or in short "Gig".
NB: for "gigaoctet" or "giga", the French pronounce with the first G like in jardin; in English for gigabyte or gig, they pronounce the first G like in garden.

Oodles of informal meanings in the domain of entertainment, anythink partying:
- extension of the musical meaning, it's also used for theater
- a job (in the domain of music, theater or entertainment, but not only... even IT), any temporary or incidental employment
- anything; dancing, eating, partying, drinking, drugs, working out, etc.
Examples in the language of the guys partying (see the interrogative patern):
- Glasses, spectacles, sunglasses eg "Look at those gigs he's wearing"
- gigs - to have rythm in dance, to be able to dance and excel in it
- as a verb meaning to use a spear-like implement to stab into a small animal such as a fish or frog.

Tx Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 10:41

MurielB a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:...

Tx Gérard !
You're welcome Muriel.

I hope you took advantage of all of the richness in slang words Smile
- the unusual interrogative pattern
- giggin
- bro
- bruh

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 10:48

Model Answers to Common English Questions! Smile

American English at State - Page 18 Safe_image.php?d=AQCxYst8TZ7wzkC9&w=476&h=249&url=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F5%2F4412%2F36180766000_dbeb60545a_o

English Speaking Club
FLUENTLAND.COM

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Aoû - 15:06

It's time to test your understanding on our first set of American slang terms. Can you fill in all of the blanks? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 18 20883030_10155869394749123_4937847575346269436_n

Answers a bit later in the day.

gerardM

Page 18 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Suivant