If we chose to leave Earth...

If we chose to leave Earth...

Message  gerardM le Jeu 11 Mai - 20:24

Howdy.

Big History Project

If we chose to leave Earth, how far would we have to go? What resources would we need and how long would it take us to reach our destination?
We can construct space stations anywhere, but it might be advantageous to build them close to Earth or in Earth’s orbit. Staying relatively close to the Sun is useful, as it can provide most, if not all, of the energy we need. Staying within Earth’s magnetosphere would provide some free protection from cosmic particle radiation.
The moon would be the closest option for an enclosed habitat. Mars is another option, but it’s farther away and would take months to reach, rather than days. This will limit the number of people who can be moved there.
The nearest potentially habitable exoplanet actually orbits Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to our Sun. This system is 4.25 light-years away, meaning it takes light 4.25 years to make the journey. But we can’t currently build any spacecraft that can achieve speeds anywhere approaching light (300,000 km/s). The fastest spacecraft we’ve ever built moved at about 253,000 km/h. At that speed, it would take 18,170 years to reach Proxima Centauri.
(Photo: NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: If we chose to leave Earth...

Message  MurielB le Jeu 11 Mai - 22:59

Gérard going to the moon is all right but going to Mars is a catastrophe because it supposes never coming back Sad . It's too far away !

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas