Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

+2
gerardM
MurielB
6 participants

Page 1 sur 3 1, 2, 3  Suivant

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet Empty Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

Message  MurielB Dim 20 Mar - 20:58

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.
A friend of mine has sent me this interesting story about internet
In ancient Israel , it came to pass that a trader by the name of Abraham Com did take
unto himself a young wife by the name of Dot.
And Dot Com was a comely woman, broad of shoulder and long of leg.
Indeed, she was often called Amazon Dot Com.
And she said unto Abraham, her husband: "Why dost thou travel so far from town to town with thy
goods when thou canst trade without ever leaving thy tent?"
And Abraham did look at her - as though she were several saddle bags short of a camel load, but simply said:
"How, dear?"
And Dot replied: "I will place drums in all the towns and drums in between to send messages saying what
you have for sale, and they will reply telling you who hath the best price.
And the sale can be made on the drums and delivery made by Uriah's Pony Stable (UPS)."
Abraham thought long and decided he would let Dot have her way with the drums. And the drums rang
out and were an immediate success.
Abraham sold all the goods he had at the top price, without ever having to move from his tent.
To prevent neighbouring countries from overhearing what the drums were saying, Dot devised a
system that only she and the drummers knew. It was called Must Send Drum Over Sound (MSDOS),
and she also developed a language to transmit ideas and pictures - Hebrew To The People (HTTP)
But this success did arouse envy. A man named Maccabia did secrete himself inside Abraham's drum
and began to siphon off some of Abraham's business. But he was soon discovered, arrested and
prosecuted - for insider trading.
And the young men did take to Dot Com's trading as doth the greedy horsefly take to camel dung.
They were called Nomadic Ecclesiastical Rich Dominican Sybarites, or NERDS.
And lo, the land was so feverish with joy at the new riches and the deafening sound of drums that no
one noticed that the real riches were going to that enterprising drum dealer, Brother William of Gates,
who bought off every drum maker in the land.
And indeed did insist on drums to be made that would work only with Brother Gates' drumheads
and drumsticks.
And Dot did say: "Oh, Abraham, what we have started is being taken over by others."
And Abraham looked out over the Bay of Ezekiel , or eBay as it came to be known. He said:
"We need a name that reflects what we are."
And Dot replied: "Young Ambitious Hebrew Owner Operators.."
"YAHOO," said Abraham.
And because it was Dot's idea, they named it YAHOO Dot Com.
Abraham's cousin, Joshua, being the young Gregarious Energetic Educated Kid (GEEK) that he was,
soon started using Dot's drums to locate things around the countryside. It soon became known as
God's Own Official Guide to Locating Everything (GOOGLE)
And that is how it all began.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 4 Nov - 17:43, édité 6 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet Empty Re: Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

Message  Invité Dim 20 Mar - 21:20

Funnnnnnny !!! cheers cheers cheers

Invité
Invité

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet Empty New Tech - Surveys about Internet

Message  gerardM Dim 10 Avr - 22:04

Howdy everyone,

Here's a very interesting survey published in the States.

-> Generations 2010

It relates the abilities of groups of people for several aspect of the Internet and New Technologies... very detailed and very interesting (as it is my job, the outcome is very important)!

The categories are interesting and so are the names of the ranges of age.
I'm wondering what "Gen X" means, why "Silent generation"...

Dernière édition par gerardM le Sam 16 Avr - 23:54, édité 2 fois (Raison : title's been changed)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet Empty Re: Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

Message  gerardM Sam 16 Avr - 12:48

Hi everyone,

As written above, I'm very interested in behaviors in front of new technologies.

Obviously, Internet changed our lives.
Nowadays, Internet is an old thingy and Social Networks are in the center of studies.

There's a recent survey led by Ipsos & Nokia among 1000 French young people born in the 80s...
Whereas surveys read flagging morale in France, 76% of the 15-34 year-old French persons say they are happy about life in general.
They say high tech brings good points daily; mobiles, Internet, Social Networks, video games... provide opportunities to enlarge everyday lives and to share with friends.

The youngest (15-18) state they appreciate little virtual happiness, including overtake friends in video games (14%), publish a video on the Internet (11%), get people to laugh on the Web (10%) via Facebook, Twitter ou collective email.
The 15-34s belong to a generation who've understood the interest of Social Networks to show others their personal success.

Sharing is very important to 93% of the 15-18s. Music, photos, mood, love & professional lives... every instant of the day is so archived on the Net to draw attentin of their nearest and dearest.
More than six out of ten French, aged 15 to 34 say good news has to be shared on SNs.
Raphaël Berger (Ipsos survey manager) concludes individual success has to be shared collectively (a more open view of happiness).

Success according to the young
  • 87% of the 15-34s consider they succeeded in their lives when they can share time with the ones they love
  • 89.5% of them think success is not to own a Rolex at 50, nor to put down others
  • 27% of young poeple guess that to succeed, the quality #1 is determinatin, before ambition (21%) and ability to take opportunities (21%).

-> Pour les jeunes, réussite rime avec épanouissement personnel (3 page PDF)
-> http://www.ipsos.fr/ipsos-mediact/actualites/pour-jeunes-reussite-rime-avec-epanouissement-personnel
-> https://lpjournalisme2011.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/au-petit-bonheur-des-jeunes/

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 16 Avr - 22:53

Bonsoir à tous,

Quelques mots supplémentaires que je trouve dans "20 Minutes" du vendredi 15 avril.

Le sondage Ipsos-Nokia

76 % des 15-34 ans français estiment qu'ils ont réussi leur vie amicale.
Ils sont également 83 % à penser qu'ils gèrent avec talent leurs relations avec leurs parents et leurs frères et soeurs.
Quant à leur vie culturelle, 71 % d'entre eux estiment qu'ils l'ont également réussie. L'immatériel, qu'il s'agisse de l'offre culturelle numérique ou des réseaux sociaux, contribuerait fortement à leur épanouissement.
Côté matériel, ça semble plus compliqué. Seuls 52 % d'entre eux estiment avoir trouvé un logement qui leur convienne et 50 % un travail où s'épanouir. Bonne nouvelle : ils ont toute la vie devant eux pour se rattrapper...

* Sondage Ipsos pour Nokia réalisé en ligne du 14 au 21 février 2011 auprès d'un échantillon de 1003 personnes.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Avr - 0:02

Hi everyone,

A surprising and exiting test to come in Paris.

Pages Jaunes is going to launch a surprising ad campaign on Wednesday.
On 75 bus shelters in Paris, we'll see geolocalized ads.
After smartphones with GPS module, bus shelters will provide people with restaurants, hotels, doctors, etc. in the neighborhood.
Pages Jaunes states its Web site is accessed every month by almost one out of two French persons! The mobile module is the top #3 app the most downloaded in France.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Avr - 0:25

Bonsoir à tous,

Une vidéo = un reportage excellent sur France 4 vendredi 15 avril - 1 heure 15 minutes 18 secondes !

-> A quoi ressemblerait Internet sans les pirates ?

Le documentaire Pirat@ge retrace l’histoire d’Internet grâce aux témoignages de
ceux qui l’ont construit, les hackers. Il se place au cœur des préoccupations de cette génération Y, dont il analyse les modes de communication en réseau, de consommation de biens culturels et de leur partage.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 17 Avr - 14:29

Bonjour Gérard
Internet est un outil vraiment magique. Bien qu'il y ait des dangers : pirates, hackers etc. Il met vraiment la culture à la portée de tous et ce partage lèse en rien ceux qui mettent leurs connaissances au service de tous.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 17 Avr - 14:59

thank you Gérard for that very interesting subject. In my opinion I think we shouldn't be overcautious about internet and new tech in general. I agree they bring about certain dangers like Hackers and a certain break from true life : virtual reality which is not that good. .But on the whole they bring about a lot of very positive points.
The most important is sharing

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Avr - 15:08

Bonjour Muriel, bonjour à tous,

Toute technologie peut être bien ou mal employée ; il convient de tirer avantage du côté positif et de se protéger contre le côté négatif.

Le côté positif fera l'objet de mon prochain billet sur SécuFD (lundi ou mardi).

Il est impossible de nos jours, de se passer d'Internet et pourtant il n'est là que depuis une quinzaine d'année.
C'est une techno qui a changé nos vies de fond en comble et l'Internet change en retour, la manière de penser et le comportement des humains.

Pourtant, l'Internet est très fragile car objet de souhaits d'appropriation par les gouvernements ou du moins d'encadrement (étant donné la puissance de cette technologie).
La vidéo de vendredi sur France 4 met bien en avant la source de pas mal de "révolutions" qui sont nées du hacking.

Quelques termes :
Les informaticiens n'aiment pas le sens donné par les journalistes !
Les informaticiens définissent un hacker comme un fan de technique qui cherche à maîtriser ce qui est derrière une techno pour l'utiliser à la marge toujours dans l'envie d'enlever toute contrainte.
Ces fans sont des Geeks, des buffs, des nerds ou d'autres termes que je n'ai plus en tête ! Il est souvent difficile de savoir où est la frontière de la légalité (d'autant qu'elle varie avec les gouvernements et dans le temps), certains étant carrément mal intentionnés : anarchistes, révolutionnaires ou gangsters !
Les informaticiens distinguent les white hats des black hats. Ils distinguent aussi les hackers (bons) des crackers (méchants).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 17 Avr - 15:21

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:... break from true life : virtual reality which is not that good...
Remember the train was supposed to bring tragedies...
Poor language and behavior were annoying for our grand-parents and parents...

People dislike changes and things they cannot understand.

You and I are disturbed by Virtual Reality but younger generations deal with this easily and take advantage of this.

No worries! Let's trust young generations!

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet Empty I Love the Internet

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Jan - 16:25

Hi everyone,

I recently published a message about my savings on train tickets...

I would like to add that despite my advanced age, I love the Internet more and more.
Fab this SNCF computerized system, don't you think?

I like to "play" with computers and explore every part of them and when I've the opportunity to save money, it's still better, always ready for a good bargain!
SNCF reservation system looks bloody difficult to many (including me in the past) but these prices which very often change suits me fine.
I admit I've got time to "play".
It's possible to book 3 months before start and so get a good price.

What we can do when we've patience and time:
- book carefully and choose your seat,
- take an option meaning you postpone payment to a week later
- before expiry date, try to book again and see if you can get a better price or better conditions.

With such multiple booking attempts, you can determine and get the best price without paying till final choice.

Thus, for my train trip at the end of the month, I booked 3 times and this morning, for +2% I still got better conditions (better class, better location) and postpone choice to next week.

It's similar for other computerized systems.
For example, I can play on the stock exchange better that what I was doing decades ago when I had to call my bank.

Don't hesitate! Don't be afraid by computers and Internet!
Learn how to master them and take benefits! It really is funny and fab! :-)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Jan - 22:27

What about you? Do you like Internet and computers?

Internet increases the possibilities.
Do you do like me when you have an encyclopedia in hands? I leaf through the book going from an article to another one and it's difficult to stop me given the exciting subjects.
With the Internet, it's still more.

Regarding languages, when I'm home, I always have my English dictionary open (on the computer) and I spend much time looking into it: easier and quicker on a computer than on a dictionary, lots of possibilities as in addition to the dictionary on my computer, I sometimes use Google to get thorough information (sometimes my dictionary doesn't have the response but Internet has, it's fabulous!)
Even if I know which word to use, I often take a look to learn about homonyms, to check there's nothing better, etc. very easy to improve English.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Jan - 7:47

Hi Gerard !
I agree with you ! I also  spend lots of time with my computor ! There are so many possibilities ! As I work home as medical secretary for my husband I can use it  in between two telephone calls. I am very lucky because i only work 3 and a half hours a day  from 6.30 am till 10 am

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 4 Nov - 9:34, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Jan - 9:16

Sorry i have made a mistake ! I work from 6.30 am till 10 am : 3 and a half hours a day

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 16:35

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

You've got a very good boss!

How did we live before the Internet (and the Minitel)?
Or worded differently: what shall we have in a few decades that we cannot even imagine? Internet on the palm of the hands?
... there's a topic about CES in Vegas somewhere: very soon a screen as thin as a paper sheet (foldable rollable), a connexction between devices just approching them, etc.

gerardM

Message  Guilaine Jeu 17 Jan - 19:09

Hi Gerard,You said above : Don't hesitate! Don't be afraid by computers and Internet!

Yes, the more we use them, the more we need them. And now my i-pad follows me everywhere... I become addicted !

By the way, I know you are a perfectionist, please tell me if it is correct to say : to be afraid by ? (instead of to be afraid of).
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 20:52

Hi Ghislaine,

Enjoy your ipad. I rely on you to use it wisely without really becoming addict, without becoming a slave and everything will be fine: the benefits must be bigger than the drawbacks.

~~

> By the way, I know you are a perfectionist, please tell me if it is correct to say : to be afraid by ? (instead of to be afraid of).
I will try to check further but as a first response I would say the right preposition is "of": to be afraid of sb/sth
"Afraid" is not a verb but an adjective so "to be afraid" cannot be a passive form which would have allowed a "by".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Jan - 21:22

Hello everyone !
I was very upset this evening because I could not log on to internet. I wanted to ask Patrick to Help me to (He is a good handyman you know ) and when I tried again everything went perfectly. scratch i could not understand what had happened

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 17 Jan - 21:50, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 21:47

Hi Muriel,

Phew!

Good to get the Internet access again.

Too many questions to determine the reason of your issues...

Fortunately, you tried a second time before asking Patrick otherwise you can imagine the smile and the proud boast. Wink
(just a general wink, I don't charge Pat with this trait)

Were you very stressed out by the perspective not to be able to use your computer tonight?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Jan - 22:11

I thought about the current topic on the forum! 'I love the internet" I realized the internet was really part of our life.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 22:24

Good!
The Internet must be a way not an end, a pleasure and no strain.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 23:13

Hi everyone,

Beyond computers and Internet.

I'm presently watching FR2-"Complément d'enquête". There's a programme speaking about the ways of lives of Gen-Y's: they are swapping between several devices (smartphone, computer, tablet, TV...), they spend more time before screens, they sleep less, they are multitask, they are very quick but cannot focus for long on a subject and othen don't have good results at school (they do their homework while typing an sms). What are the changes in their brain? Is there a mutation? what will be the consequences in their future?

According to a scientist (interviewed by the presenter) our brain is able to do far more things than the way we're using it in the last decades and will get transformed without problems.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 18 Jan - 8:36

Hello Everyone
If you want to know more about The internet history click on this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIQjrMHTv4
This history will help you to guess where we are going...

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Jan - 16:53

Hi Muriel, everyone,

MurielB a écrit:... guess where we are going...
Thanks for the link but God knows where we are going. Wink

gerardM

Page 1 sur 3 1, 2, 3  Suivant