[Am.English] American culture

Page 10 sur 12 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Suivant

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Re: [Am.English] American culture

Message  gerardM le Ven 8 Mai - 15:28

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB le Mer 15 Juil - 21:57

Hi everyone !
We have already exchanged about "Melting pot "( when immigrants are encouraged to assimilate into the American culture) and "Salad bowl "or "cultural mosaic" (when the immigrants retain their own national characteristics while integrating into a new society)
I  like what Samuel Huntington used to say : Because of large scale Latino immigration the reality is best described as "tomato soup". The blending of new ingredients adds spice without compromising the essential character of tomato.

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Jeu 6 Aoû - 21:41

Howdy,

Something I always forgot to write:
We often criticize Americans about their seeming lack of respect for ecology.
Don't believe it! They just have a different approach!
Go to the Yosemite National Park and you will see how strict they are.
First protected in 1864, Yosemite National Park is best known for its waterfalls, but within its nearly 1,200 square miles...
If you've a swimming-pool, take care that you must have a fence around it otherwise if a wild animal is found drown in the pool, you'll be in very big troubles.

Another example: when I landed in New York JFK Airport decades ago, for a package tour, I had to wait for other participants to arrive (after customs, luggage, etc.). It was very warm but we quickly had to learn that our bus couldn't start its engine to get aircon: absolutely forbidden, no way to start the engine for any reason without leaving... do you see this in France? Tell me! Smile

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Sam 8 Aoû - 15:34

Howdy.

I already pointed out these features but it's so important that I do it again.

- an exclamation point is very rare in American.
I don't know about British English because I don't know about the British culture.
In French, we use the exclamation point way too often (compared to Am). If we apply the French pattern to the American language, natives will think we're angry and harrass them... if the context doesn't show anger they will be very confused.

- the object always follows the verb (direct object before indirect).
An adverb is placed elsewhere than -like in French- between Verb and Object: before the verb, in the middle of a "compound verb" (between auxiliary and verb) or at the end of the clause.

- the interrogative pattern is Verb - Subject or Auxiliary - Subject - Verb
The Subject - Verb with interrogative Tone, like in Italian or nowadays' French can at times be heard but please, avoid it!

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 17 Sep - 15:31

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 24 Sep - 21:41

Howdy.

I wrote a while ago about the pronunciation of "wh" in English (possibly in "True English") but I made a mistake.

In fact, what I described was the American pronunciation, not the British one.
The "wh" in what, which, when, where... is pronounced like a "w" and a "h": I mean they fill their cheeks with air before pronouncing.
There's an exception for "who": the "w" is not pronounced, like in "whole".

Now there's a difference b/w Am and Brit English.
- in American, all of the "who-" words are pronounced without "w" sound
- in British English, it's... by chance (and we've to learn):
--- in British English, who, whose, whom, whoever, whole... are pronounced without "w", like in American
--- in British English, several other "who-" words are pronounced with the "w" as in whomp, whoop, whoopee, whoops, whop, whopper, etc. - for those, there's a difference in the pronunciation between American and British English.

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 24 Sep - 22:18

Howdy.

Everyone has their own conception of what's good and what's bad.

We, Europeans, are horrified by some American behaviors as for example: free weapon sales, death penalty, oil research in Alaska, police impunity in front of African-Americans...
As you probably know, Americans cannot stand lies: remember Bill Clinton and his careful statements to explain he didn't have sex with Monica.
Isn't it strange, scandals come from the US: Perrier, FIFA, Volkswagen... ?

On the other hand, Bernard Madoff was the only guy sentenced in spite of obvious complicities at Wall Street and elsewhere.
... looks like financiers are not much annoyed by justice in many countries...

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Ven 25 Sep - 21:12

Howdy.

ELVIS PRESLEY

"So if we part, forget me never and don't forget my love for you."

I don't know who wrote these words, Priscilla or Elvis (I guess it's Priscilla), but I don't think "forget me never" is grammatically correct (despite the flower "forget-me-not" and the color "forget-me-not blue").
Anyway, I hope Elvis' fans will appreciate the photo.
NB:"to part" does exist but the meaning is not exactly "partir (Fr)" but close.

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 25 Sep - 21:29

Gérard, I would write "never forget me" or "don't forget me, never ! "

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 25 Sep - 21:36

MurielB a écrit:Gérard, I would write "never forget me" or "don't forget me, never ! "
Your comma is very important. Without, we have to write: "don't forget me ever!" (or "don't ever forget me!").

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 25 Sep - 21:38

Yes that's right ! Thanks for these précisions !

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 23 Oct - 0:30

THE DIRTY TRUTH ABOUT E-CIGS: E-cigs are taking the world by storm, but not much is known about the negative side effects of vaping. It's commonly thought that electronic cigarettes are safe, but is this true? Learn the awful truth: http://dne.ws/1OT7Yoc

Always too long for EMTs! Smile

(French) cigarette électronique -> (American English) e-cig
Ask me why English sentences are shorter.

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Mar 10 Nov - 22:43

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 26 Nov - 20:08

Today Thursday November, 25, Kathy wrote: "Happy Gobble Gobble Day folks".

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Jeu 26 Nov - 23:19

Gobble, gobble is the sound a turkey makes
I didn't know.

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 27 Nov - 0:01

Yes Muriel, and Gobble Gobble Day is Thanksgiving day.

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Mer 9 Déc - 21:07

Hi everyone,

Remember celebrations to come...

- you will send wishes about Christmas and New Year before the D Day, not after like in France.
Americans and Brits are used to displaying the wishes they receive on the mantle of their chimney or somewhere else: it's a question of pride for them.

- never wish about Christmas if you're not sure the destinee is a Christian; instead send "Holiday Greetings".
Americans are very respectful (and careful), remember this.

So, time to send wishes... Smile

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Mer 9 Déc - 21:43

Hi Gérard !
Thanks for letting us know about that. It's true that my first season greeting  post cards come from my English friends. The ones who live in England or in Calais.
I have always sent new year postcards to my friends and family (Not Christmas postcards). For me the dead line was January 31st

Admin

Message  gerardM le Jeu 10 Déc - 15:08

Hi Muriel,

OK for the end of January to send greetings in France.
Again, don't do this for English Speaking People as it would be impolite or say very weird: greetings are sent from Dec 1 to Dec 31.
I wrote "Christians" for XMas, Anglicans are christians. Brits do like the word and the tradition of "Christmas", Americans prefer to be cautious and speak about "Holiday Season" (I don't know if Jehovah's Witnesses do celebrate Christmas or if they prefer to celebrate all year long and avoid this end of December); Americans speak about XMas only when they are quite sure, for example within the family.

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Jeu 10 Déc - 20:39

Hi Gérard !
yes it's very good to know if we don't want to put our foot in and upset English or American people. Usually the first postcard we receive is from my daughter's in-laws who live in Manchester. Every year I want to be the first one to write and every year I forget about it and I am not Sad

Admin

Message  gerardM le Jeu 10 Déc - 20:58

Merci de me faire part des grosses fautes dans mes messages en langue étrangère. Grâce à vos remarques, je pourrai m'améliorer   :-)  

It seems you have a few problems with "s" Wink
  my daughter's in-laws who live in Manchester
  "my daughter-in-law who lives in Manchester"
If you had several, it would be:
  "my daughters-in-law who live in Manchester"

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Jeu 10 Déc - 21:11

Gérard I must explain a bit more. My daughter is married with a boy from Mauritius island. His parents are divorced and both remarried -I am not sure if remarried  is the right word-
his mother lives in Manchester with her second husband. They are my daughter's in-laws aren't they ?
Is my daughter's in-laws correct then ?

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 11 Déc - 0:50

OK you are right Muriel; sorry and shame on me!

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Sam 12 Déc - 23:52

Bonsoir à tous,

Noël se fête partout dans le monde mais pas toujours de la même façon, chaque pays cultivant ses propres traditions. De quoi nous donner des idées pour rendre nos fêtes de fin d'année plus originales.
~~~
"Lait de poule" pour tous -
Si le père Noël existe, il est américain. On le doit en effet à une célèbre marque de soda qui a récupéré le mythe de Saint-Nicolas pour le transformer en Père Noël.
Les Américains décorent l'intérieur et la façade de leur maison avec des guirlandes et des boules brillantes. Sur le sapin, ils placent des petites cannes à sucre rouge et blanc. Côté cuisine, les Américains privilégient le boeuf à la dinde qu'ils ont déjà consommée quelques semaines auparavant pour Thanksgiving. Dans toutes les maisons, on trouve un verre de "lait de poule". Il s'agit d'un mélange de lait, de jaune d'oeuf, de rhum et de cannelle qui est offert aux invités pour leur porter chance.
(extrait de "Côté Val d'Oise")
NB : le "lait de poule" en question est appelé "eggnog".
)

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Dim 13 Déc - 9:29

merci beaucoup Gérard pour l'idée du lait de poule porte bonheur. J'ai trouvé la recette sur internet et elle se conjugue version enfant et version adulte.
http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com/recette/343778-lait-de-poule

Ingrédients / pour 1 personne

• 25 g de sucre ou sirop de sucre de canne
  • 1 jaune d'œufs
  • 10 cl de lait
  • 1 pincée de cannelle
  • 1 pincée de noix de muscade
  • pour les adultes :
  • 1 cl de rhum blanc ou autres alcool (whisky, bourbon,eau-de-vie)

Admin

Page 10 sur 12 Précédent  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Suivant

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut