[Am.English] American culture

Page 4 sur 12 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Suivant

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Re: [Am.English] American culture

Message  gerardM le Mer 11 Mai - 15:33

Howdy everyone,

Nothing better than cartoons to learn informal language.

A very famous cartoonist on Facebook: MAXINE publishes lots of cartoons of which any American is fond (235,227 people like). Here're his albums -> https://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=153850792944
His true name is John Wagner:
Welcome to the Official Fan Page for Maxine, Hallmark Cards' Queen of Crab. Look around, but don't break anything or it's your butt.
Take a look: that's worth it!

I'm stuck with that one (787th photo) -> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150193961147945&set=a.167331877944.118063.153850792944&type=1&ref=nf
I'm not sure to understand everything... scratch

My health insurance not only costs an arm and a leg, the deductible's a spleen and a kidney.

Please, could anyone help me understand?
- okay for the expression "to cost an arm and a leg"
- US deductible is Fr franchise
- spleen is a double-entendre: Fr rate / mauvaise humeur
- what about kidney? I know it's Fr rein
I also know about the idiom "a man of a different kidney" meaning "un homme d'un autre acabit"
but would there be a double-entendre as well? Maybe, kidney is here just to stay in organ area, the double-entendre being only spleen.

Tx for any comment! Smile

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM le Lun 16 Mai - 11:31

Howdy,

Written by Facebook friends:
Cathy
note to wannabe script kiddies: if you're going to use $10 words, learn to spell them first. #protip
Sari Cathy, haz u red n ee gud paperz latelee? Razz
Cathy I'z ritted a phew.
Sari Thatz gud 2 no!
So, Cathy is complaining about poor spelling and Sari, who responds, is a lady who is the "Grammar Department Administrator" on a forum (I know them both).

When they take up, it's difficult to understand them! Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Ven 11 Oct - 16:53

Hi there!

Gosh! I'd to dig far back to May 2011 to find this thread!

I already wrote here about the respect of American re sex and genders.

Is there any language that doesn't have a different series of words for masculine and feminine?

- French? no, French language has got different words - boulanger-boulangère and if the language exceptionally forgot, the feminists claim: la professeure, l'écrivaine
- German? no: dir Bäckerin
- Italian? no.
- Russian? no.

- English? YES
In English, there're no masculine/feminine word for the jobs.

Moreover, if French gives the precedence to masculine such as "les 36 filles et le garçon ont mis leur beau costume : ils sont très beaux !"...

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 11 Oct - 21:21

Hi Gérard, everyone
You are right but I tried to find exceptions. What about waiter and waitress

Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM le Ven 11 Oct - 21:33

Hi Muriel,

Good show! I hadn't found it.

Of course I didn't consider the words ending with -woman like businesswoman, saleswoman.
I don't know if I can count "maid" as this word has got a feminine connotation.

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 11 Oct - 21:47

the masculine of maid doen't exist I think.

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 11 Oct - 22:22

MurielB a écrit:the masculine of maid doen't exist I think.
Right!

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Sam 30 Nov - 21:29

Hi everyone,

Thanksgiving is one of the most celebrated day in the States. It takes place on the 4th Thursday of November.

Black Friday is the name of the day following Thanksgiving.
My own explanations (I didn't read the page on Wikipedia yet) -> It is named this way because it's the start of the sales which will last till Xmas. It's qualified of "black because the sales will be high and the result good (bad -say negative- is red in accounting, and positive is black).

-> Black Friday (shopping)

Do you know what?!?!?
the FNAC also uses this name now!!
-> La fnac sauce américaine : offres massives pour le Black Friday

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Ven 6 Déc - 18:14

Hi everyone,

A posting from Susan: American appear to celebrate any daily event Wink After Halloween, after Thanksgiving: St Nicholas.

What is this tradition? Gold coins in child's sneakers...

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 6 Déc - 21:57

Hi Gerard
I didn't know about that tradition
https://www.rca.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=1685

Admin

Message  MurielB le Ven 6 Déc - 21:58

This legend is the basis for the custom of placing gifts or gold coins in the shoes, stockings, or baskets of children during the night before the feast of St. Nicholas.
Hi Gerard
I didn't know about that tradition
https://www.rca.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=1685

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 6 Déc - 22:52

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for your research and the link.

> baskets of children
Regarding "basket", I was stunned to find this word after "shoes".
I checked and as I thought, the word has nothing to do with the French "basket" (trainers or sneakers).

Finally not surprising that Americans have many traditions given the number of immigrants from varioous origins: British, Irish, Italians, Germans, Dutch, Spanish, etc.

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Dim 15 Déc - 15:00

(click pic to enlarge)

This is a photo published on Facebook by Susan, a good friend of mine.
No doubt it is a genuine Am tree.
I realize that I never saw a Christmas tree in America
(probably easy to find on Intenet tho)

What are these oranges? beautiful indeed!
What are these other slices? lemons (not the color)?
What's this thingy on the left?

Any help pls

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Dim 15 Déc - 19:37

Hi Gérard !
Yes this Christmas tree is obviously American. I had a look on the internet and read that the American Christmas tree was traditionally decorated with edibles such as apples or nuts . On Susan's Christmas tree the edibles are candied lemons and oranges. The colour is a bit different from the real fruit. I think that this thingy on the left is a cracker.
 I will try to find crackers for Christmas. They are so funny and add to the ambience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker  Very Happy
Crackers are typically pulled at the Christmas dinner table or at parties. In one version of the cracker tradition, the person with the larger portion of cracker empties the contents from the tube and keeps them. In another each person will have their own cracker and will keep its contents regardless of whose end they were in. Typically these contents are a coloured paper hat; a small toy, small plastic model or other trinket and a motto, a joke, a riddle or piece of trivia on a small strip of paper.[3] The paper hats, with the appearance of crowns, are usually worn when eating Christmas dinner. The tradition of wearing festive hats is believed to date back to Roman times, and the Saturnalia celebrations, which also involved decorative headgear.[

Admin

Message  gerardM le Dim 15 Déc - 20:06

Susan is the one who provides me with anti-GMO fighting information. No GMOs no fertilizers with her (she is a farmer).

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Ven 10 Jan - 17:25

Hi everyone,

I always watch such American exchanges which surprise me: I am not able to find good words - true that I am a man.

Cathy was born Quebecker ie she has many sisters and brothers (also a mother) and she moved to the US where she married an American... who died a few yers ago.
I think I already spoke about similar conversation... I wonder if it was not for her husband's death.
Cathy (Hier, à 05:26)
I've come to accept that happiness is a futile pursuit. It's an illusion we use as motivation to get up in the morning and do shit. Oh well, at least there's work. Gotta have something worthwhile I suppose. Every dog has its day? Life's a bitch and then you die.
Raymond I share your thoughts; I've come to the conclusion that good health is what we must target to lengthen our days on this planet. Bonne semaine quand même.
Cathy Indeed. Good physical, mental and emotional health are vital to long lives... It's been so long since I've had either that it amazes me that I still breathe. It all goes back to happiness. If that hope is there, we keep on trying just to spite the alternative. Many of my friends over the years have mentioned that I am strong. I'm really not. I just don't like the alternative and there was always some obstacle to overcome to keep me motivated. Now it's mountains upon mountains on top of ice. Those obstacles I can't overcome however much I would want to. In the famous words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I'm too old for this shit. I may not have the numbers, but I've got the scars to equate to it. There is not a single day that goes by that I'm not in pain. I'm writing this now because I can't sleep and it keeps my brain from wandering. This is why i stayed off fb for a while. I really don't have much in the way of positives to contribute. But since I don't really get to talk to anyone about shit like this, it has to go somewhere. Sorry for being a downer. Thanks for caring. It is appreciated.
Coly Can't argue with that. On the other hand doing new things is exciting and you have taken some huge steps that must have felt satisfying for a while.
Pieter {{hugs}} and chocolate help.
Tammy The days are getting longer & therefore more sunshine on the way. {{hugs}}
Joyce I think it's human nature to always be wanting to improve. The pursuit of happiness is ongoing I think. We attain something, then wonder why we still feel not quite fulfilled. So we just try and find a new thing to please ourselves... and the beat goes on, right BFF?
Cathy Coly, yeah but what that improved was just one part of my life, mostly things (as it should be). As I said many times in my life, I don't do the whole change thing well so it required a lot just to make those things happen. I can't put that amount of effort, will and focus into the rest that needs improvement. No amount of wishing will make my personal life suck less. Those were some of the thoughts going through my head last night as I lay there waiting for oblivion.

Pieter, you know they do.  {{{{ hugs }}}}} (just had to give you a lop-sided hug)

Tammy, I can't imagine going through another Canadian winter..... we've had a taste of real winter the last couple of days and my gawd I'd forgotten how much it sucks.

BFF, you perhaps know me best of all. I don't ask for much out of life, yet it seems I ask for too much. Goals are one thing, they distract you from the rest for a while, but when it gets dark and silent, those goals can't keep the ghosts out.

I look around and see happy, normal people going through their routines. They go to work, they pay their bills, they go on vacation....etc. They have family, husbands, wives, kids... cousins, in laws. They do things together, and it's as normal as normal can be. They all have zero idea of what it is like to have it all disappear in the blink of an eye. To one day wake up and realize that you aren't part of any of that. That it was all a big illusion. To go through the motions anyway because that's what is expected. To go to work (the only time when you're not reminded of just how bad your life sucks) and be content for a few hours. To return to an empty house that is almost exactly the way you left it (the only difference being the mess the cats make while you're gone)... It hits very hard, every single day. I'm not young anymore, I can't absorb it and keep going as if nothing was wrong anymore. And the depression is the most real thing there is in a world full of illusions.

Just some more thoughts. Ignorance is bliss.
Corrine Not cousins, in-laws or the like but as I look at the names above, and know the caring involved in the replies, I see another form of family. Although not physically there at the end of the day, always around with {{{HUGS}}}.

So, although we can't help with the physical pain you live with, know how much we care.
Robert In the pursuit of happiness, I think happiness is easy to find, it's contentment that makes it all worthwhile. It's harder to find and to attain. I think many philosophers have said this before so it's not a new concept and I take no credit for it. Nonetheless, it's sure got a ring of truth to it.
Nancy There are many positives about you so although it's natural to feel down sometimes, try to think of good in your life! Don't forget all your accomplishments, which others have alluded to and of which there are many!! If you think positively, good things will come to you!!
Coly Ever think of getting someone to share your house?
Corrine ^^^ In addition to Mary & Pippin.
Cathy Thanks guys (and gals). Life's still a bitch, but I know you care and that means a lot. I had a good evening with Jessica, AJ and the kids. Sometimes just being surrounded by people who care enough to give you hugs and share their time is enough to renew (or revitalize a little) me for a while.
Jessica (il y a 12 heures) You're very welcome. I missed you!
Cathy is 38; last year she got a high leval US national award at her univ...
I know most of the persons who posted; we are often chatting on Internet security forums. I didn't want to reply as I didn't want to make a mistake with some possible poor words (all of them are American but Pieter who is Dutch).

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Ven 10 Jan - 22:43

"Sometimes just being surrounded by people who care enough to give you hugs and share their time is enough to renew (or revitalize a little) me for a while"
All those people seem very close to one another. They naturally cheer Catherine up. They must be very nice ! They let their feelings go (Is it a good expression I am not sure scratch ) Is it more difficult for the French to behave like that ? Are Americans more empathic than we are ?

Admin

Message  gerardM le Ven 10 Jan - 22:49

Hi Muriel,

> All those people seem very close to one another.
Most posters know Cathy just like me ie via Internet (except Raymond and Jessica) - Except Raymond, Jessica and Robert, I know everyone.
All of the posters are Americans - Raymond is Quebecker, Pieter is Dutch.

I'm not able to find right words.
I don't know about you but in France I mainly hear "Courage !", "On est avec toi !" or kind of moral replies or the like... rare very close friends can do better but I don't think the French are that good at expressing feelings.
The "Courage !" is equiivalent to {{hugs}}
I notice that Ray's reply is not very accurate... looks like a reply from a French (Ray is a Quebecker).
I notice that Pieter only wrote "{{hugs}} and chocolate help."; the Dutch may not be as comfortable as me (the allusion to chocolates is common joke as Pieter does love chockies).

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Sam 11 Jan - 1:31

Hi guys,

As far as I understood, in the 20s, youth began to be considered (especially girl independence - which year in France? Laughing) and -of course- they created new expressions, new language: the Flapper slang.
The twenties were the first decade to emphasize youth culture over the older generations, and the flapper sub-culture had a tremendous influence on main stream America; many new words and phrases were coined by these liberated women. Many of these are still used today!

Here are a few links that show what this Flapper slang was:

-> Flappers' Dictionary: How To Talk The 1920s Talk
-> Slang of the 1920's
-> Flapper Slang

A few funny expressions:
- eye opener -> marriage
- Cellar Smeller -> A young man who always turns up where liquor is to be had without cost.
- Noodle Juice -> Tea.
- Tomato -> A young woman shy of brains.
- Big Cheese -> The most important or influential person; boss. Same as big shot
- Daddy -> a young  woman's boyfriend or lover, especially if he's rich
- Flapper -> A stylish, brash, hedonistic young woman with short skirts & shorter hair
- Cash or check? -> Do you kiss now or later?

> Daddy - a young  woman's boyfriend or lover, especially if he's rich
This is very interesting!
A few years ago, I asked an American lady what "My heart belongs to daddy" (sung by Marilyn Monroe and others) meant - did "daddy" mean Darling? She responded "no" but I guess she was wrong!!

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 6 Fév - 0:33

Hi everyone,

Well, there's much snow in the US these days.

Here's a message posted on Facebook:
Cathy XYZ
So I managed to remote in this morning and get *some work* accomplished. Then Dave was kind enough to give me a ride in the truck to get the rest of the day in the shop. AND, I came home to a cleared driveway and walk path to my door thanks to Jessica and Michael! I don't quite know how to express the gratitude right now. But these people rocked my socks today. LOL! Thanks much!
Did I ever wrote about communities in America?
Wink

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 6 Fév - 0:40

Hi,

As I am in this topic, here's something I often wanted to write but then, I always forgot Wink

There's a common word in teh States which is Kudos.
Rather common, it is used to congratulate friends... it's more than Congrats; it's like acclaim, glory, prestige, honor...

NB: Kudos is a singular!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB le Jeu 6 Fév - 6:50

Thanks Gérard, I had never heard of the word "Kudos" 
 it comes from the Ancient Greek: κῦδος)
I will remember !

Admin

Message  gerardM le Jeu 6 Fév - 12:36

Pretty common in the States Muriel.

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Jeu 6 Fév - 14:10

Muriel,
Do you know this one?
Do you know what a toddler is (without Google nor a dictionary)?

Weird suite "ddl" in the word.
I don't know if 3 consonants in a row are common in French (I don't realize as it's my mother language and I don't notice). It's not exceptional in English such as "subtlety" or "subtly".
BTW, I can realize that "soustraire", "soustropical" are French... OK
What puzzles me is the double consonant followed by another consonant: "to toddle". Do we have this in French? Are there other examples in English?
There might be a word referring to a big toad but I cannot remember.

~~ edit
-> toggle, tollbooth, tollhouse
-> all of the adverbs based on adlectives ending in -less -> -lessly

gerardM

Message  gerardM le Ven 7 Fév - 14:37

Hi everyone,

On France-Info this morning, I had the surprise to hear a French guy -economics specialist- pronounce the expression "patate de canapé".

I had never heard this word for word translation of the common American expression...

Do you know the American expression I'm referring to? It's commonly used.

gerardM

Page 4 sur 12 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Suivant

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut