Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

True English

+5
Remy
Guilaine
ireneO
MurielB
gerardM
9 participants

Page 20 sur 25 Précédent  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Suivant

True English - Page 20 Empty Re: True English

Message  MurielB Dim 13 Mar - 23:03

in a row is a good idiom
in a series without interruption They've won six games in a row.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  gerardM Lun 14 Mar - 23:43

Back to my nephew's success at the "Loughborough Dance Competition 2016".
Without warning, Adam's mother took a plane and attended the performance.
I could see a photo with Adam receiving his award and realizing mom was approaching for an embrace and another photo.
I'm not surprised as Alison worked in an airplane company and she takes a plane as you take your car and Manchester is next door for her.
I already congratulated Alison for her kids: she is a very good mother.
Alison was a champion of tennis for decades (champion of the Emirates). She stopped tennis as age came but now, she is a champion of golf and goes on with competition worldwide. scratch

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Mer 16 Mar - 21:39

well done Gérard !
I already congratulated Alison for her kids
Mothers always like to be congratulated for her kids, they are so proud of them ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Mar - 1:04

MurielB a écrit:...
Mothers always like to be congratulated for their her kids, they are so proud of them ! Very Happy

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Mar - 22:42

Gérard, i should have read my post again. It is such a stupid mistake. C\'est vrai!! Thanks for correcting me !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 29 Mar - 22:38

Incredible.

Yesterday a friend told me about a British friend of hers saying "ta" in place of "thank you".

I told her that there were several ways to replace "thank you" in a text:
- tx
- ty
- ta (thank ya - ya often replacing you)
... for me this was only written, not said.
She told me that "ta" was pronounced.

Today I looked into my dictionary, which has a function of spoken words, and yes: "ta" is mentioned (as being used in the UK) and I could also hear it!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 29 Mar - 22:55

Hi everyone,

Always something to learn!!!

I didn't know! Nobody ever told me about this!!

The word "yesteryear" does exist!!! If I have the chance to meet Shakespeare, I'll use it! Smile

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 31 Mar - 17:21

Ta Gérard, never heard of yesteryear

n.
1. The year before the present year.
2. Time past; yore.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 31 Mar - 17:34

Yesterweek and yestermonth don't exist (yet).

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 8 Mai - 18:10

Hi Muriel, everyone,

Today is Mother's Day in many English-speaking countries...
The French may not be as extrovert but I'm always amazed to read the very kind messages written by kids to their mothers on social networks whatever the age, even teens, even 2xs.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 8 Mai - 18:33

gerardM a écrit:Hi Muriel, everyone,

Today is Mother's Day in many English-speaking countries...
The French may not be as extrovert but I'm always amazed to read the very kind messages written by kids to their mothers on social networks whatever the age, even teens, even 2xs.
Even "after" when it's a bit late.
Here's the example from a friend (born a Quebecker, now American):
Now that I'm done with the old place and can concentrate on other things, I can't help but wonder what mom would think of the house. On this Mother's day weekend, which is kicking off a couple months of significant dates full of memories of those I've lost, it's hard to come to terms with it all. I miss talking to her so much. I miss her advice, her words of encouragement, the pride in her voice when thinking of how far I've come and how much I've accomplished despite the rough circumstances.
She was more than just mom. She was my best friend, my biggest and loudest supporter, and my harshest critic. She made me a better person and I feel lessened by the fact that she's gone.
I miss my other half just as much. I wish I could have had more time with them both. There's a lot of me that's gone.
Another example by a 27-year-old girlie:
Happy (NZ) Mother's Dayyy to the one and only mumazizmum
You're so special, you celebrate ALL the Mother's Days worldwide
Looking forward to a yummy dinners tonight

~~ edit
and her 23-year-old brother:
Happy Mother's Day to the greatest mother I could ever wish for. I love you to the moon and back infinite times and I am so darn grateful I got to spend this joyous occasion with you instead of being cooped up in a library revising for exams
Can you imagine such messages from kids in public in France?
I congratulated the lucky mother.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 8 Mai - 22:34

Gérard
She was more than just mom. She was my best friend, my biggest and loudest supporter, and my harshest critic. She made me a better person
This is the message I like best !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 19 Oct - 20:46

Hi everyone,

I often think of writing this but every time when I'm far from my computer, then I forget Smile

Here I am.

As everyone knows it, adjectives and words used as adjectives (named "modifiers") are singular in English.
There are exceptions.
Sometimes we can find plurals but in special cases for which the plural of the modifier has a different meaning.

My example will be with "security".
- the security team is a group of persons in charge of checking and helping others, no surprise here
- "Securities Services" is frequently used by French banks to show off on the international area; here "securities" means shares, and securities services are departments dealing with shares and other financial stuff.
NB: strangely my English dictionary has 2 different entries though on the French side, "toilettes" has to be found as part of "toilette".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Nov - 15:22

Howdy.
... - on the other hand, to dig, to hollow, to drill, to sink, to plow, etc don't show similar roots.
Lt's add to bury, to burrow, to furrow.

At times I put my hands onto my head thinking this bloody English language is pleased to annoy the French with oodles of different words for a same notion!  C\'est vrai!!

Anyway!

English language is a keeper. I mean it tends to keep all the words it borrowed from French, from German, from Swedish, Celtic, and others.

~~~

Worse!!
The example I'd like to take is about "the gl- family".

Crazy!!

Take a dictionary -preferably a digital one- and ask for glo-.
You will find out a series of words having to do with strange and uncertain light:
- gloaming
- gloomy
- glossy
- glowing

Let's go on for gl-:
- glitzy
- glittering
- glistening
- glint
- glimpse
- glimmer
- gleam
- glazed
- glassy
- glaucoma
- glasnost
- glaring
- glancing
- glam

Maybe other words!!

Crazy!! Crazy!! Crazy!!

What do you think?
How the hell can a series of 2 letters give a meaning?
Do the Brits make fun at us?? Smile

I don't know if it's the same in French, is it?

What I can say is that it's similar in German.
I'm unable to repeat what my German teacher explained to me a decade ago regarding a series of 2 or 3 common letters providing words with similar meanings, can anyone tell us about it (there was a "w" and a second letter)?

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 24 Déc - 22:14

Hi everyone,

Something interesting (I hope)...

Christmas crackers—also known as bon-bons

True English - Page 20 <a href=True English - Page 20 800px-10" />

This is a tradition throughout the Commonwealth (not the US)

Read -> Wikipedia -Christmas cracker

As far as I understood (I didn't read Wikipedia), 2 kids are taking one end and draw. Only one is holding the good side, I mean only one end is giving access to the content -the candy- (one side has a metallic wire able to open the box).
Then the same kids take another Xmas cracker and do the thing... if the same kid is winning again, there's a big fight!! LOL

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 24 Déc - 22:39

Howdy.

The tradition says Santa knows everything about everyone... LOL probably the NSA and the Brit equivalent.

Santa has 2 lists: the naughty and the nice lists. Depending on which list you are...

Ask Santa -> Nice-O-Meter

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 14:19

Howdy.

Just to mention my nephew writes: "Happy New Year one and all".

"One and all" means everyone... The Merriam-Webster says it's oldish: my nephew is in his 20s scratch

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 15:00

Hi

I wrote several times here that your mother-country the one in which you went to elementary school.

I tend to write this thinking of the funny expressions we learn at school.
Childish expressions are part of the culture.
If you never heard "caca boudin", you can't pretend to be French Smile
Difficult to learn such expressions as an adult and to be impregnated by the feelings coming from childhood.
I can't say if it's more in English speaking countries than in France because, childish French expressions sound so familiar that I forget them (I don't notice them).
Sure that nursery rhymes are more common and funnier in the UK than in France (in my opinion).

There're countries in which such childish expressions are day-to-day adult expressions: New-Zealand, Australia...
In the UK people are stiffer.
Even in the US, adults don't speak thsi way.
In NZ and Oz, if you don't know nursery rgymes, you'll miss half the conversation.
I can read daily conversation of my 60-year-old niece with her friends on Facebook and I absolutely need a detective or Google to help me understand... LOL (my niece doesn't use the same expressions when she write to her Kiwi friends as to her Brit friends).

"Yum-yum pig's bum"
True English - Page 20 Pig10
EMTs love rhymes, we know this. Oodles of expressions are just here for the rhyme.
The expressions are more or less long depending on the knowledge of the speaker but they usually come from films, tales or similar.

Regarding "Yum-yum pig's bum", it comes from school-yards (I mean it's bloody usual.
I tried to google: the origin is unknown but people heard this for sure.

'Yum, yum, pig's bum,
All wrapped up in chewing gum -
Take a slice, very nice.'
'Yum, yum, pig's bum,
Cabbage and potatoes.'
'Yum yum bubble gum
stick it up the teachers bum
if it sticks
pull her tits
and turn it into weetabix'
'Yum Yum pig's bum makes good chewing gum'
(Full English)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 15:09

Ann Achronism added a few other expressions in the page mentioned here above:
My wonderful dad passed away on Dec 9th and was interred just before Christmas. Most children were brought up with nursery rhymes such as "Little Bo Peep", etc? Us? No. We got such literary gems as "Yum yum, pigs bum / you can't have none." Not to mention, "the funniest thing you ever did see / was an elephant climbing a rhubard tree." And his encore? "In bygone times, when birds pooped lime / And monkeys chewed tobbaco / A little doggy run wiv a feather up his bum / to see which way the wind blew. / The wind blew norf, the wind blew sarf / The wind blew the feather from his bum to his mouth." Of course, it must be recited in a broad cockney accent.
(Full English)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 15:19

LOL
To go on with "Yum-yum pig's bum", a few other comments:
Alison Powell ‏- used to say it at primary school - 'Yum, yum, pigs bum, you can't have none !'
"you can't have none !" adds a rhyming line
Keith King - got an appetite now
another line
Judy Miller - Yum yum pigs bum you can't have none London kids said this in the 1940's when they were dipping out who would be going first
Linda Quille ‏- My mum always used to say that when she dished up our dinner! Yum yum, pig's bum, cabbage and potatoes! Lol
(Twitter)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 15:37

If you're interested in the subject of expressions parents tells their children, here we go:

Strange Things Your Parents Said to You as a Kid

tourlord
Whenever my mum was pulling into the garage with me in the car, she would say "Home again, home again - jiggety-jig"

Whenever she saw I was enjoying my food, she would say "Yum yum, pig's bum - apple pie and chewing gum"

My dad used to sing "Leeet's haaaave a cup of teeeeaaaaa.... And a banaaaanaaa" whenever he was making himself a cup of tea.

Were my parents intentionally trying to raise a nut-job, or are other parents this weird?
Youthist
They sound weird. My mums favourite when i asked for something was

"if you ask you don't get, if you don't ask you don't want".

Damn her!
pjmaybe
My Nan used to tell me that "Every time you splash in a puddle, an angel dies" which was slightly traumatising. I didn't realise in my child-like innocence that she was just trying to save herself having to wash a load of clothes...I genuinely thought that there would be dead angels lying around everywhere from all the kids who splashed through puddles...

Peej
Blerk
tourlord wrote:
Whenever my mum was pulling into the garage with me in the car, she would say "Home again, home again - jiggety-jig"
"To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.
"

Did you never know the rest of the nursery rhyme? :-)
Retroid
My nan: "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die"

A bit overdramatic for doing the washing up, I thought
El_MUERkO
i was raised by my grandparents who were mega so no odd saying spring to mind, or at least they dont register as odd to me

my friends dad to this day calls us all girls when we get to the door and make serious attempts to run us over when he drives past, top bloke Very Happy
Salaman
Just the usual made up stuff to get kids to comply with their wishes.
:-)

They used to tell us we needed to eat the crusts from our bread because otherwise oour legs would fall off.

You don't really believe it of course until you see a person with 1 leg in the street. Eeeeek!
Dexter
Do potatoes really grow in your ears if you don't wash them?
sam_spade
"Thunder is the clouds banging together. "

Could've just taken the time to explain that sound and light travel at different speeds.
glo
Whenever my gran used to leave from visiting us she would always say...

"If I don't see you through the week, I'll see you through the window".

What the hell was she on about?
Deleted user
Salaman wrote:
Just the usual made up stuff to get kids to comply with their wishes.
:-)

They used to tell us we needed to eat the crusts from our bread because otherwise oour legs would fall off.

You don't really believe it of course until you see a person with 1 leg in the street. Eeeeek!

LIES! Everyone knows that eating the crusts makes your hair go curly. Thing was, i liked the crusts but didn't want curly hair. Was a real dilemma.
tourlord
After being put up to it by my older brother, I asked my mum "what do girls have instead of a winky?", to which she replied "a vagina" and quickly changed the subject.

I misheard "a vagina" as "it's for China" and spent the next five or six years of my life telling all of my friends that a girl's winky is for China.
rare_uk
I used to get peed off with my parents as they seem soooo colour blind.

"could you get my orange slippers from upstairs"
So you'd run up after tearing yourself away from Thundercats/Visionaries/whatever and search for orange slippers. No orange slippers. But there's a red pair here. Nah they said orange. You get the gist!! Annoying
espadachin
my uncle used to say "if you tell anyone about this ill kill your fucking dog" he was a funny bloke!
Wink
pjmaybe
deem wrote:
"now, this is our little secret, and no one must no"

Was this followed by "And here's a mint for afterwards!"

Smile

Peej
DaM
tourlord wrote:

I say that to my boy!

I also cringe when I find myself coming out with statements like "It's for your own good".... we do turn into our parents....
sam_spade
tourlord wrote:
After being put up to it by my older brother, I asked my mum "what do girls have instead of a winky?", to which she replied "a vagina" and quickly changed the subject.

I misheard "a vagina" as "it's for China" and spent the next five or six years of my life telling all of my friends that a girl's winky is for China.

/imagines kids running and screaming when their mom asks them to get her best china out.
tourlord
My dad would sing "Hey, fatty bum-bum" to me in a Jamaican accent whenever he saw a fat woman.
gizmo
Don't pull that face - you'll stick like it.

Then my older sister see's some poor bloke in a wheelchair and to my mum's horror asks 'Mummy, did he stick like it?'
Spanky
Us "What we having for dinner maw?"
Maw "Shite and Shugar"
Dad "Mary!"

There are 2 additional pages... http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/59647

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Jan - 22:14

Hi Gérard.
What about ?
True English - Page 20 Il_570xN.1095669153_rfn8

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Jan - 23:31

Thanks Muriel.

Continued on  page 21

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Jan - 22:42

Howdy.

Something I discovered today... popular in the En world.

I won't make a long speech...

Explanations
-> Barbershop Music (En)
-> Barbershop Music (Fr)

Songs
-> When I'm Sixty Four
-> Hello Mary Lou

Did you know Barbershop Music?
Enjoy!

gerardM

Message  Zoey Mer 8 Mar - 23:25

Haha it's funny, I write the same way with my english friends, and I think "ya" and "atcha" is a part of "SMS language" like "y?", "u", "abt", "wbu" and some others. ^^
That's cool but obviously, I think people who write everytime like this are very annoying... But when you have to tape fast, yeah that's nice.
Zoey
Zoey

Lieu : Bordeaux
Langues : Français(L. mater), English, Chinese

Page 20 sur 25 Précédent  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Suivant