Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable)

2 participants

London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable) Empty London is a city made for walking The Economist

Message  MurielB Lun 23 Sep - 8:57

Like Paris London is a city made for walking. It is very healthy and people live longer in such cities. They don't have to wait in traffic jams as when they are driving. Every city should be equipped with buses or underground for that.
What do you think ? do you enjoy walking ? do you practice that sport in your daily routine ?

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21582576-urban-pedestrians-buck-national-trend-footfalls (vocable 670)

LONDON is a city made for walking. Unlike, for instance, Los Angeles its centre is easily accessible on foot. Outer boroughs are no more than an hour or two away. Its curved streets, in contrast to the rigid grid of New York, welcome idle wanderers and busy commuters alike. But despite traffic queues and teeming underground carriages most prefer to drive or to squeeze on to the Tube to get around the city. This is starting to change.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 9 Oct - 10:32, édité 3 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable) Empty London is a city made for walking

Message  gerardM Lun 23 Sep - 18:44

Hi Muriel,

I do like to be on the sidewalks of Paris. There are so many things to admire that cannot be seen from a car (it is from a bus).

However, it's not very easy as it's too close to cars and I wouldn't say it's that healthy.
Anyways, I prefer walking on the sideways to going into the Métro (for short distances - till 2 kilometers, which corresponds to "made a continuous walk of 30 minutes once a week" of the article).

I had the opportunity to participate in the annual "Rando GDF Suez" (now abandoned) and it was a true pleasure: the police stopped the traffic and we could walk in the entire street.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable) Empty London is a city made for walking

Message  gerardM Lun 23 Sep - 19:11

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for the link to the article: it's very interesting.

I'm sad as I think Paris is behind London regarding this Policy (walking).

A few words about the language...
- The Economist is a British magazine
- ie I can read "town centres" (the American words would be "city centers" ;)as well as lots of British words or spellings
- however, I'm stunned:
> Pavement curbs were removed and tarmac replaced by granite bricks
To me, "curb" is an American word; according to me, the British corresponding word would be "kerb". scratch

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable) Empty London is a city made for walking The Economist(vocable)

Message  MurielB Lun 23 Sep - 23:00

gerardM a écrit:To me, "curb" is an American word; according to me, the British corresponding word would be "kerb". scratch
yes Gérard and thank you for teaching us that difference
A curb (US English), or kerb (UK English), is the edge of a  pavement/sidewalk/footpath

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 9 Oct - 9:23, édité 2 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois