Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

European Observatory for Plurilingualism

3 participants

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Empty Re: European Observatory for Plurilingualism

Message  gerardM Ven 6 Déc - 23:19

Hi everyone,

-> Monolingualism is bad for the economy
In most countries of immigration, linguistic diversity is by and large ignored by policy makers. If there are language-related policies, they take a deficit view of migrants and their children and focus on improving their English (or whatever the national language may be). Many people resent even the meagre efforts that states are making to help migrants and their children learn the dominant language, and ESL provision in schools is a ready target for funding cuts, as is currently the case in NSW. Going beyond ESL provision and investing into meaningful bilingual education that would enable migrant children to reach high levels of bilingual proficiency in both their heritage language and the dominant language are, by and large, unheard of. Usually, ensuring bilingual proficiency is the exclusive responsibility of parents and thus the usual vagaries of luck and privilege apply.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Empty Re: European Observatory for Plurilingualism

Message  gerardM Ven 6 Déc - 23:29

Hi everyone,

-> If you talk to the locals in their language, you understand their needs
sing translators is a tricky thing, I've found. I have to use them at times, but there's often a problem that's subtle and difficult to counter, and that is that translators tend to be from the better off sections of society. Even if they're local, it can be that they're far less comfortable going to refugee camps than I am. And there can be a tendency be for them to translate what they want to translate, rather than necessarily exactly what has been said.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 7 Déc - 20:42

Hi everyone,

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp144

-> Languages, diplomacy and national security: five key issues

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 7 Déc - 21:20

Hi everyone,

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp153

-> Selon l'INSEE, l'usage des langues régionales pendant l'enfance peut conduire à des difficultés...
7seizh.info

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Déc - 14:49

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp185
European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp179
European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp180

Dernière édition par gerardM le Lun 9 Déc - 15:34, édité 2 fois

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Déc - 15:28

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp28

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 9 Déc - 15:30

Hi everyone,

PROPOSITION DE RÉSOLUTION DU PARLEMENT EUROPÉEN
-> sur les langues européennes menacées de disparition et la diversité linguistique au sein de l'Union européenne

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 9 Déc - 22:19

gerardM a écrit:European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp28
 :-) 

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Lun 16 Déc - 14:53

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp279

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 16 Déc - 14:56

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp280

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 16 Déc - 23:30

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp305
(click pic to access text)

Un pas de plus vers la charte européenne des langues régionales

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 20 Déc - 15:32

Hi everyone,

World Languages
Learn how to say I LOVE YOU for you to say it to that person you love so much during this Chritsmas!!!
Why don't you say that in another language?
– with Sierra Thompson, Harusan Takayanagi and Cecilia-Månsson Uffe-Christensson.

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp336
'click pic to enlarge)

Anyone to analyze all of this
and determine
- the most romantic language
- the different roots in Europe

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 21 Déc - 11:33

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp374

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 21 Déc - 23:04

gerardM a écrit:Hi everyone,

World Languages
Learn how to say I LOVE YOU for you to say it to that person you love so much during this Chritsmas!!!
Why don't you say that in another language?
– with Sierra Thompson, Harusan Takayanagi and Cecilia-Månsson Uffe-Christensson.

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp336
'click pic to enlarge)

and determine

and determine
I have already posted this song on the forum but hearing it could help if you want to determine the most romantic language.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 22 Déc - 19:42

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp407

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 22 Déc - 21:16

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp415
How to Say 'Merry Christmas' in 24 Languages
(click pic or link above to start video)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 22 Déc - 22:18

Thanks Gérard, your video is very good. Patrick have asked me to find "maman" in all languages because there is nearly the sound "em" in all of them.
http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/2010/05/09/The-word-mother-is-special-in-all-languages/stories/201005090242

Mutter (German). Mère (French). Majka (Serbian). Mat' (Russian). Madre (Spanish). Moder (Swedish). Máthair (Irish). Mataji (Hindi). Móðir (Icelandic).
Oh, and Mama (Chinese). Mama (Swahili). Mama (English).
All around the world, the word is almost always the "M" word.
A remarkable coincidence? Evidence of some great mythic, spiritual communion, a reminder that we are all our mother's children under the skin?
Not a chance.
The reason for the similarities are far more prosaic, experts say. Many of us, at around age 7 or 8 months, put our lips together, hum so that our larynxes buzz, and then open our mouths to unleash a sound: Ma.

why is it like "Miam miam" Is it because the child instinctively finds a lot of pleasure with his mother ?
What do you think ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 22 Déc - 23:47

Hi Muriel, everyone,

Thanks for your research regarding "maman".

However, the list is not uniform: I mean that it lists "mère" for French, "Mutter" for German, and "mama" for English. I notice that it's not "Mother" nor "mom".

Yes the sound "m" is the easiest for a baby (as explained, they just have to open their lips and push some air), "ma" (or another vowel) is as easy, and repeated in "mama" is easy as well. That's why the English language uses "mama".
It's strange that the French says "maman" and not "mama" because if you listen to a baby, it's rather mama. "Maman" is conventional and comes afterward; similar for "Mutti", it's conventional; German toddlers say "Mama", German children say "Mutti".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 27 Déc - 18:14

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp510

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 6 Jan - 23:25

Hi everyone,

-> Suzanne Talhouk: Don't kill your language
More and more, English is a global language; speaking it is perceived as a sign of being modern. But -- what do we lose when we leave behind our mother tongues? Suzanne Talhouk makes an impassioned case to love your own language, and to cherish what it can express that no other language can. In Arabic with subtitles. (Filmed at TEDxBeirut.)

Suzanne Talhouk is an advocate for the Arabic language as a tool of power, pride and unity

Read.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 6 Jan - 23:32

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 1510934_533333953432228_1864370405_n

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=533333953432228&set=a.320819614683664.71044.318757448223214&type=1&theater

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 7 Jan - 11:58

Hi everyone,

European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp645

You lovers of the English language might enjoy this ..

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other
two-letter word, and that is 'UP.'

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the
list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ?
At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?
Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it
UP to the secretary to write UP a report?
We call UP our friends.
And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the
leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.
We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.
At other times the little word has real special meaning.
People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and
think UP excuses.
To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.
A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.
We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!
To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the
dictionary.
In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can
add UP to about thirty definitions.
If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP
is used.
It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind
UP with a hundred or more.
When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP.
When the sun comes out we say it is clearingUP.
When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.
When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP,
for now my time is UP,
so........it is time to shut UP!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 7 Jan - 13:41

yes Gérard, what you have written about "Up" is very interesting. For those who what to go on with studying "Up"
Here is a good exercise.
http://a4esl.org/q/h/vm/pvup2.html

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mar 7 Jan - 13:48

Yes I agree with her. Anyway an Arabic speaking table is very difficult to organize. We tried but to no avail.  Sad

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 12 Jan - 20:18

Muriel,

A personal message for you:

I posted several drawings/articles from European Observatory for Plurilingualism - Page 2 Temp732

I took them from their account on Facebook.
In my opinion, you should Like them so that you would get most of their postings on your screen and, perhaps, publish on their pages.

It is there -> https://www.facebook.com/pages/European-Observatory-for-Plurilingualism/134934323274038

gerardM

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant