Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager

2 participants

canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager Empty canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager

Message  MurielB Mar 28 Jan - 16:23

Underground Railroad historical sites are plentiful in the U.S. and especially in Detroit, one of the busiest crossing points to freedom. But in Canada, you can see the other half of the story— what happened to the estimated 30,000 people who crossed into southwest Ontario between 1834 and 1860. Black history is alive in Lakeshore, Amherstburg, Dresden, North Buxton and Windsor. Many fugitives who crossed in turn became key figures in the Underground Railroad.
http://www.freep.com/article/20130915/FEATURES07/309150004/Amherstburg-Underground-Railroad-Travel-Creager

Because of steeve McQueen 's film  "12 years a slave", we can see  and remember which roads took the black slaves. Have a look at the film comments. They are very interesting.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 16 Mai - 14:02, édité 1 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager Empty Re: canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager

Message  JeanPierreD Ven 14 Mar - 23:25

I didn’t see the film yet, so I had to have a look on what means « Underground-Rairoad », so as I can understand now , and I didn’t knew that at all, that at that time there were also righteous persons ready to help former slaves to escape and find refuge in welcoming places

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager Empty Re: canadians stops on the underground railroad vocable 679 Detroit free press by Ellen creager

Message  MurielB Sam 15 Mar - 19:16

Jean-Pierre, I didn't see the film either but during my English studies I took the subject 'American civilization " and enjoyed it very much. I don't mean slavery so much but  energy.  The first pioneers were very energetic.  They wanted to start a new life and  could make impossible things possible.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es