Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine

+2
MurielB
Nick
6 participants

Page 2 sur 6 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty Green Innovations for Sustainable Solutions

Message  gerardM Jeu 28 Mar - 22:43

Hi Muriel,

I guess you also have problems with your fingers and not reading your text again (like me) LOL Would you please like to fix the title of the topic to "Green Innovations for Sustainable Solutions"?

> Let's sleep on it
Often shortened to "Sleep on it".

Similarly "Let's call it a day!" (to end up a meeting) often becomes "Call it a day!"

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty Re: Anglo-Saxon Cuisine

Message  MurielB Ven 29 Mar - 10:48

gerardM a écrit:Hi Muriel,

> Let's sleep on it
Often shortened to "Sleep on it".

Similarly "Let's call it a day!" (to end up a meeting) often becomes "Call it a day!"
Thanks Gérard for helping and for adding other expressions.
i would like to add two not to excuse my "Not reading over again the text"but I think it is important if you want to improve your English level to use them
"it stares you in the face"

"it sticks out a mile "
My mistake stares me in the face and I don't see it Sad
I won't forget the sustainable solutions anyway.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty Food security ans sustainable agriculture

Message  MurielB Sam 30 Mar - 21:39

Hi everyone !
We all agree that that sustainable development is both an urgent and difficult objective to achieve (also very expensive).
We will first consider Food security ans sustainable agriculture. Here is wikipedia definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
Satisfy human food and fiber needs
Enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends
Make the most efficient use of non-renewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls
Sustain the economic viability of farm operations
Enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole."

But Europe cannot tackle alone these challenges and scientists across the world are encouraged to combine their talents. As we were young, we bought a house in "Le massif central". Our neighbour we have known since he was 14 years old is often in despair because of the milk quota system. He possesses about 20 cows but doesn't earn money on them (He loses money) To make a living be needs to work as a woodcutter which is no good for him because he has a pain in his back. Here is a photo of the place he lives in. Isn't it wonderful ? Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Tmp-4110
Tomorrow we will exchange ideas about "The ocean and the blue economy"please put down all your ideas (Not on the paper but on the forum Smile )

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 31 Mar - 21:51, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 30 Mar - 23:08

Hi Muriel,

I can tell you Americans are greener and greener.
They very much think of sustainable economy... and I'd say that when Americans begin something, they go to the end of it quickly.

I didn't check if it was true but I recently read that they already had good results regarding their efforts to lose weight (I don't remember the figures but it was surprisingly efficent).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 31 Mar - 21:19

gerardM a écrit:

they already had good results regarding their efforts to lose weight (I don't remember the figures but it was surprisingly efficent).
I agree. Mac Donald sandwiches are much healthier than they used to be. you can also swap your chips for a salad and for the children there is always fresh fruit.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 31 Mar - 21:50, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty Ocean pollution.

Message  MurielB Dim 31 Mar - 21:28

What about the ocean and the blue economy ? considering that the sea makes up over two-thirds of the world's surface and the ocean is the earth's biggest ecosystem

http://www.brighthub.com/environment/science-environmental/articles/67785.aspx

What World Governments Can Do to Reduce Ocean Pollution
•Cut down on plastic usage and ban plastic bags. Plastic never deteriorates and often gets swallowed by marine birds and animals, leading to their deaths.
•Ban the dumping of residential, agricultural and industrial chemicals and waste into water sources. Everything that ends up in a flowing water source eventually ends up in the ocean.
•Ban the dumping of sewage directly into the oceans.
•Educate people about the causes, effects and prevention of pollution. Encourage citizens to recycle what they use, reduce the use of toxic materials and maintain their vehicles to reduce oil leakage and carbon dioxide emission.
•Set up more stringent controls for coastal chemical factories, mining sites and other water-front industries.
•Organize and assist agencies to clean up existing pollution.

What You Can Do to Reduce Ocean Pollution
•Reuse plastic bags and recycle plastics. Don't throw them away.
•Cut down on the use of toxic household cleaners.
•Don't throw trash when you visit the beach, or when you go anywhere else, for that matter.
•Make sure your vehicles and boats do not leak oil on the road or on the water. When it rains, this oil will of course be washed away and eventually, via streams, rivers or drains, find its way into the ocean.
•For the same reason, do not flush medications and chemicals down the drain.
•Cut down on the use of chemicals and fertilizers in your garden or on your farm.
•Volunteer and participate in environment clean-up drives.

Be informed and aware of your impact on the environment. Everything you do and use has some bearing on your surroundings. Making intelligent choices and changes in the manner of your everyday living is perhaps the most effective solution for ocean pollution.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 31 Mar - 21:48

Hi Muriel,

Thanks a lot for this extract and for the URL.

I agree with what's written.

I wonder if there's a difference between nations. LOL

Everyone is concerned. It's very important that every actor does their best together, the result is more efficient whereas when everyone acts independantly, many people just say to themselves "For once...". No, efforts must be made by everyone and coordinated from top to bottom (from Government to Mr Doe).
I like when Michele Obama pushes to promote good food in her country.
I like when ministers use a bicycle to go to the ministry, in some countries.
I dislike governments saying: "Do what I say - don't do what I'm doing!" Sad

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 2 Avr - 22:02

gerardM a écrit:, efforts must be made by everyone and coordinated from top to bottom (from Government to Mr Doe).
I like when Michele Obama pushes to promote good food in her country.
I like when ministers use a bicycle to go to the ministry, in some countries.
I dislike governments saying: "Do what I say - don't do what I'm doing!" Sad
I completely agree with you. It is of great support to know that the efforts are coordinated from top to bottom
Let's talk now about keeping the water clean, nice and fresh.

The water we drink and the water we bathe in is one of the most important environmental protection and lakes, rivers, oceans can't be discharged with polluants, it's too dangerous for our health.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty How to regenate high scale damages ecosystems ?

Message  MurielB Ven 5 Avr - 8:40

Hi Gerard, everyone
I'd rather find out about solutions than complain and say that soon will be the end of the world. What about you ?

The documentary film looks at restoration projects in China, Africa, South America and the Middle East, who aim to rejuvenate eroded landscapes
http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/green-gold-how-can-we-regenerate-large-scale-damaged-ecosystems

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 15:54

Hi Muriel,

> soon will be the end of the world. What about you ?
What do you call "world"?
Our earth won't end for CO2 (sorry for the wrong writing - 2 must be in index position) in excess.
Humans are nothing in Earth's history: we don't exist for long, we'll disappear before Earth's ending, replaced by other creatures. I'm not worrying about this provided it's in more than 2 or 3 centuries to let my granddaughter live a happy life LOL

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 16:29

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

> I am very surprised !
My friend Susan continuously posts against GMOs, Monsanto and dead bees

The US ask for a petition in Europe.
-> GMO Inside

GMO Inside

Monsanto vs. Mother Earth.

"To the governments of Germany, France and the Netherlands and all contracting states of the European Patent Convention:
As concerned citizens, we urge you to take the lead to fix European patent law by calling on the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation to close the loopholes that allow corporations to patent plant varieties and conventional breeding methods. Clear and effective safeguards and prohibitions are needed to protect consumers, farmers and breeders from the corporate takeover of our food chain."

Sign the petition here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?bapUgcb&v=23909
Avaaz.org
1,553,271 have signed. 1 million in just 36 hours! Let's get to 2,000,000
As concerned citizens, we urge you to take the lead to fix European patent law by calling on the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation to close the loopholes that allow corporations to patent plant varieties and conventional breeding methods. Clear and effective safeguards and prohibitions are needed to protect consumers, farmers and breeders from the corporate takeover of our food chain.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 16:49

Petition signed!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?cftZAeb

444k through Facebook
40k through Twitter
34k through email
Object: Monsanto vs. Mother Earth
Our vegetables and fruit are about to be patented to grow Monsanto’s profits, making food more expensive and strangling the farmers we rely on everyday. But we can pressure European countries to step in and stop the corporate food attack. We have no time to lose -- up to 800 patents are in the pipeline waiting to be approved!

Join me in this campaign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?kftZAeb
1,554,335 have signed. 1 million in just 36 hours! Let's get to 2,000,000

Posted: 9 April 2013
It’s unbelievable, but Monsanto and Co. are at it again. These profit-hungry biotech companies have found a way to gain exclusive control over the seeds of life – the source of our food. They’re trying to patent away varieties of our everyday vegetables and fruits like cucumber, broccoli and melons, virtually forcing growers to pay them for seed and risk being sued if they don’t.

But we can stop them from buying up Mother Earth. Companies like Monsanto have found loopholes in European law to have exclusive rights over conventional seeds, so we just need to close them shut before they set a dangerous global precedent. And to do that, we need key countries like Germany, France and the Netherlands -- where opposition is already growing -- to call for a vote to stop Monsanto’s greedy plans. The Avaaz community has shifted governments before, and we can do it again.

Many farmers and politicians are already against this -- we just need to bring in people power to pressure these countries to keep Monsanto’s hands off our food. Sign now and share with everyone to help build the biggest food defense call ever.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 14 Avr - 17:02

Hi Gérard, hi everyone !
What about your grand-daughter's grand-children ? Heloïse will certain love them to live happily after she has desappeared, the same for her great great grand children, and her great great great grand children. Very Happy
Anyway, because of the theory wave-particle duality stating that elementary particles (both matter and energy) behave, depending on the conditions), like particles or waves. Perhaps we won't totally disappear. Anyway, I know you are like Patrick it's not your cup of tea.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 17:11

Hi Muriel,

> 2 or 3 centuries
Shoot! I only thought of 10 generations!
MurielB a écrit:... like Patrick it's not your cup of tea.
If men disappear, it'll be because they destroyed our Earth... I won't be able to do anything.
If they are eaten by a big bad wolf... grandmothers kept warning for long enough!!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 14 Avr - 23:36

gerardM a écrit:

If men disappear, it'll be because they destroyed our Earth...
We must love one another, otherwise we perish ! affraid (I have not made the usual mistake have I ?)

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 15 Avr - 0:31

[quote="MurielB"]
gerardM a écrit:... one another... (I have not made the usual mistake have I ?)
Perfectly correct! :-)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 15 Avr - 13:56

gerardM a écrit:
If they are eaten by a big bad wolf... grandmothers kept warning for long enough!!
The only way is to show the example to the coming generations. In two weeks' time we will spend one week with our grandchildren in a little hamlet (out of nowhere ) and we will live with the bare minimum (Apart from computor and smartphone of course Wink )

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 15 Avr - 16:09

Hi Muriel, everyone,
MurielB a écrit:... (Apart from computor and smartphone of course Wink )
Impossible and not desirable Shocked
On the opposite, I always try to improve my connection to the WWW.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 15 Avr - 21:23

can't survive without World Wide Web connection !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 15 Avr - 22:24

Anyone can live without chocolate but it's so better with!

The same for the Internet: why do without when it's so exciting with?
With a connected device or appliance, I can access my main resources (quite everything I need). When I'm walking along the trail to Santiago, I can check news, stock exchange, family, etc. What else? Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 16 Avr - 9:10

Hi Gérard !
i don't know but I imagine yourself in front of many computors or laptops : One for family, one for Facebook, one for stock exchange and doing thousands of things at the same time; Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy walking along or looking after Heloise on top of that !
I need more time than you do when I am in front of my computor.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 16 Avr - 14:12

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

... computer...

I'm afraid our words aren't in the subject...

In the 1970s when I was a newbie in computing, we could already have 4 partitions (F1 F2 F3 BG) to get several programs to run "at the same time".
You're wrong, I've got only one device in fron of me: for example, in my browser, I can follow web events in 13 different tabs including FB & the French stock exchange. It's a laptop so that I can carry it throughout my apartment.
My smartphone is waiting for our going out in half an hour. Wink

But, that's not very "Green innovations for sustainable solutions".

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 16 Avr - 14:22

gerardM a écrit:

".
Ok I am not on subject but it's very difficult to have a natural conversation and always stick to a suject ! (Is stick to the subject right, I am not sure scratch )

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine - Page 2 Empty Moderating the forum

Message  gerardM Mar 16 Avr - 14:41

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:
gerardM a écrit:

".
Ok I am not on subject but it's very difficult to have a natural conversation and always stick to a suject ! (Is stick to the subject right, I am not sure scratch )
In my opinion, in a serious board, people need to also refer to and find old discussions so that the titles have to be close to the subject or conversely, the words have to be related to the titles.

Solutions may be:
- (my favorite) split the topic afterwards when there are several posts on another subject
- change the title to include slight drifts (the drift has to be slight)
- open another topic (beforehand) but it's a bit difficult to foresee the number of posts
Members have to be tought to post in the right topic and to respect the title.
In my opinion, in "Les Enfants : apprendre une langue sans effort (N'oubliez pas l'Espéranto qui est la langue du monde la plus facile à apprendre)", the second subject has nothing to do with the first one (not related to children).

Remember that visitors and members must be able to search and find according to the title; on our forum, there's no search possibility on words inside the topics.

PS: Sorry - my words are off topic!

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 17 Avr - 22:24

Hi everyone,

Another example that shows Americans are not pro-GMOs: read the comments.

-> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=557014547671693&set=a.482231601816655.113449.478981558808326&type=1&ref=nf
GMO Inside

6 chemical companies are counting on all non-GMO consumers to give up hope and surrender to GMO takeover. Are you ready to surrender?

Let's take back our food supply! Join us on GMO Inside: http://gmoinside.org/

Source link: http://www.organicconsumers.org/gefood/surrender.cfm
Coming from:

-> WILL YOU SURRENDER TO THE HOPE OF BIOTECH INDUSTRY?
An article from the Toronto Star (see below) was circulated recently
by several listservers. In the article, the vice-president of an
international consulting firm whose client list features all the
world's major food businesses -- including Kellogg Co., ConAgra Foods
Inc., Unilever NV and Aventis SA -- was quoted as saying that GM
crops may soon be so prevalent that there may no turning back,
despite the cost:

-> GMO Inside

gerardM

Page 2 sur 6 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant