Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

"You never listen to a word I say" The Economist

"You never listen to a word I say" The Economist Empty "You never listen to a word I say" The Economist

Message  MurielB Mer 1 Oct - 8:52

A conversation in which neither party is listening to the other is called a duologue by Abraham Kaplan. It is more than a monologue but less than a dialogue. Multiply a duologue by a roomful of people and you have a conference he says ironically Wink
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,900576,00.html

Everybody knows that somebody listening to a joke is not really listening; he is impatiently awaiting his turn to tell a joke of his own. Everybody knows that husbands give half an ear to the discourse of their wives—and vice versa. Why do these highly disciplined attempts at human dialogue fail? The reason, says Abraham Kaplan, a professor of philosophy at the University of Michigan, is that they are not really dialogues at all

What is a true dialogue then ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_listening

Active listening involves the listener observing the speaker's behavior and body language.[citation needed] Having the ability to interpret a person's body language lets the listener develop a more accurate understanding of the speaker's message.[1] Having heard, the listener may then paraphrase the speaker's words. It is important to note that the listener is not necessarily agreeing with the speaker—simply stating what was said.
Individuals in conflict often contradict each other.[citation needed] Ambushing occurs when one listens to someone else's argument for its weaknesses and ignore its strengths.[2] This may include a distortion of the speaker’s argument to gain a competitive advantage. On the other hand, if one finds that the other party understands, an atmosphere of cooperation can be created.[3]
In the book Leader Effectiveness Training, Thomas Gordon, who coined the term "active listening,"[4] states "Active listening is certainly not complex. Listeners need only restate, in their own language, their impression of the expression of the sender. ... Still, learning to do Active Listening well is a rather difficult task ..."[5]

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 10 Oct - 18:22, édité 2 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

"You never listen to a word I say" The Economist Empty "Active listening" in café polyglotte sur le net

Message  MurielB Mer 1 Oct - 9:29

In a forum you can neither see the body language nor hear the voice but what I find interesting  is that you have time to read a post, you can read it once, twice and even more. It is sometimes a topic you have not chosen and which is not in your field of interest. In that way it broadens your mind. You can also ask if there is anything you have not understood and then answer accordingly.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas