Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Dawn French Fan Club 2

3 participants

Page 28 sur 39 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33 ... 39  Suivant

Dawn French Fan Club 2 - Page 28 Empty Re: Dawn French Fan Club 2

Message  gerardM Mar 23 Aoû - 14:42

Dawn French Fan Club 2 - Page 28 13895575_1813719128865696_6841028965715476879_n

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Mar 23 Aoû - 14:48

Very nice grandma !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Mar 23 Aoû - 17:26

MurielB a écrit:Very nice grandma !
Young doctors still have to learn things that is not in books.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 23 Aoû - 21:57

Yes in fact when young doctors start their job they know nothing and learn by doing!

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 24 Aoû - 21:06, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 24 Aoû - 17:36

A little old lady was walking down the street dragging two large plastic garbage bags behind her. One of the bags was ripped and every once in a while a $20 fell out onto the sidewalk. The policeman noticed this and stopped her, and said, "Madam, there are $20 bills falling out of that bag."
"Oh, really? Darn it!" said the little old lady. "I'd better go back and see if I can find them. Thanks for telling me officer."
"Well, now, not so fast," said the cop. Where did you get all that money? You didn't steal it, did you?"
"Oh, no, no", said the old lady. "You see, my back yard is right next to a Golf course. A lot of Golfers come and pee through a knot hole in my fence, right into my flower garden. It used to really tick me off. Kills the flowers, you know. Then I thought, "Why not make the best of it? So, now, I stand behind the fence by the knot hole, real quiet, with my hedge clippers. Every time some guy sticks his thing through my fence, I surprise him, grab hold of it and say, "OK, buddy! Give me $20, or off it comes."
"Well, that seems only fair," said the cop, laughing. "OK. Good luck! Oh, by the way, what's in the other bag?"
"Not everybody pays."

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 24 Aoû - 21:15

Horrible story ! affraid

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 30 Aoû - 22:30

Dawn French Fan Club 2 - Page 28 14141787_1818409181730024_893337328572573770_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 30 Aoû - 23:06

Yes, of course ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 3 Sep - 14:24

Would the Conseil de l'ordre agree?
scratch

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 3 Sep - 14:24

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below.
He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."
The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."
"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.
"I am," replied the woman, "How did you know?"
"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."
The woman below responded, "You must be in Management."
"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"
"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 3 Sep - 21:57

:-) :-)

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Sep - 15:20

Last week I took some friends out to a restaurant and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange, but I ignored it. However, when the busboy brought out water and utensils, I noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. I then looked around the room and saw that all the wait persons had a spoon in their pocket.
When the waiter came back to check on our order I asked: "Why the spoon?"
"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners hired Andersen Consulting, experts in efficiency, in order to revamp all our processes. After several months of statistical analysis, they concluded that customers drop their spoons 73.84% more often than any other utensil. This represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel are prepared to deal with that contingency, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 1.5 man-hours per shift."
As we finished talking, a metallic sound was heard from behind me. Quickly, the waiter replaced the dropped spoon with the one in his pocket and said: "I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now." I was rather impressed.
The waiter continued taking our order and while my guests ordered, I continued to look around. I then noticed that there was a very thin string hanging out of the waiter's fly. Looking around, I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging from their fly.
My curiosity got the better of me and before he walked off, I asked the waiter: "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"
"Oh, certainly!" he answered, lowering his voice. "Not everyone is as observant as you. That consulting firm I mentioned, also found out that we can save time in the restroom."
"How so?"
"See," he continued, "by tying this string to the tip of ...you know... we can pull it out over the urinal without touching it and that way eliminate the need to wash the hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39 percent"
"Okay, that makes sense, but... if the string helps you get it out, how do you put it back in?"
"Well," he whispered, lowering his voice even further, "I don't know about the others, but I use the spoon."

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 7 Sep - 16:12

Dawn French Fan Club 2 - Page 28 14263971_1188630861194642_1719578777441515274_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 8 Sep - 8:50

Hi Gérard, everyone
As I didn't know the word "to revamp" I had to search in internet. Here is the definition
1. To patch up or restore; renovate.
2. To revise or reconstruct (a manuscript, for example).
3. To vamp (a shoe) anew.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 12 Sep - 19:35

Buddy and his wife Edna went to the state fair every year,
And every year Buddy would say, "Edna, I'd like to ride in that helicopter."
Edna always replied, "I know Buddy, but that helicopter ride is fifty bucks, and fifty bucks is fifty bucks."
One year Buddy and Edna went to the fair and Buddy said, "Edna, I'm 85 years old... If I don't ride that helicopter, I might never get another chance."
To this, Edna replied, "Buddy, that helicopter ride is fifty bucks, and fifty bucks is fifty bucks."
The pilot overheard the couple and said, "Folks I'll make you a deal. I'll take the both of you for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and don't say a word I won't charge you a penny! But if you say one word it's fifty dollars."
Buddy and Edna agreed and up they went.
The pilot did all kinds of fancy maneuvers, but not a word was heard.
He did his daredevil tricks over and over again, but still not a word.
When they landed, the pilot turned to Buddy and said, "By golly, I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you didn't. I'm impressed!"
Buddy replied, "Well, to tell you the truth, I almost said something when Edna fell out. But you know, fifty bucks is fifty bucks!"

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 12 Sep - 22:59

Poor Edna !

but fifty bucks is fifty bucks!" Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 14 Sep - 11:19

Sarah, the church gossip and self-appointed supervisor of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose into other people's business. Several residents were unappreciative of her activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.
She made a mistake, however, in accusing new-member George after she saw his pickup truck parked all afternoon in front of the town's only bar. Said Sarah, "Everyone seeing it there would just know that he was an alcoholic!"
George, a taciturn sort, stared at her for a moment before simply walking away, saying nothing.
Later that evening, George parked his pickup in front of Sarah's house. And proceeded to leave it there all night.
Ahah GG George!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 14 Sep - 19:49

Not very nice to stick into other people's business !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Sep - 14:27

John invited his mother over for dinner. During the meal, his mother couldn't help noticing how beautiful John's roommate was. She had long been suspicious of a relationship between John and his roommate and this only made her more curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two interact, she started to wonder if there was more between John and the roommate than met the eye.
Reading his mum's thoughts, John volunteered, "I know what you must be thinking, but I assure you, Julie and I are just roommates."
About a week later, Julie came to John and said, "Ever since your mother came to dinner, I've been unable to find the beautiful silver gravy ladle. You don't suppose she took it, do you?" Julie said.
"Well, I doubt it, but I'll write her a letter just to be sure."
So he sat down and wrote: "Dear Mother, I'm not saying you 'did' take a gravy ladle from my house, and I'm not saying you 'did not' take a gravy ladle. But the fact remains that one has been missing ever since you were here for dinner."
Several days later, John received a letter from his mother which read: "Dear Son, I'm not saying that you 'do' sleep with Julie, and I'm not saying that you 'do not' sleep with Julie. But the fact remains that if she was sleeping in her own bed, she would have found the gravy ladle by now. Love, Mum."

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 20 Sep - 11:29

very intelligent lady !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 21 Sep - 19:37

Dawn French Fan Club 2 - Page 28 14440868_1201848313206230_1729134528621007826_n

This is a traditional expression to emphasize "Life is short".

gerardM

Message  claireG Mer 21 Sep - 22:15

What do you mean ? Do you mean that it is important to enjoy ourselves before kicking the bucket.

claireG

Lieu : Près de Nantes
Langues : Fr(langue mater) Gb Esp

Message  MurielB Mer 21 Sep - 22:24

Thanks a lot claire for your interest in our forum

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mer 21 Sep - 22:55

Hi Gérard
It is written "buy the shoes" which shoes ? I would have written "buy shoes".what do you think ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 22 Sep - 10:04

Hi Claire, hi Muriel,
Welcome Claire. \
claireG a écrit:What do you mean ? Do you mean that it is important to enjoy ourselves before kicking the bucket.
Muriel a écrit:Hi Gérard
It is written "buy the shoes" which shoes ? I would have written "buy shoes".what do you think ?
Kinda Claire.
IRL we often have to hesitate between things.
We especially hesitate in stores in front of a beautiful little dress, a new handbag... We hesitate between the pleasure and the money it costs especially when the weather is not that sunny for the dress, the 10s of handbags we already have, etc.
The typical purchase is in front of shoes: not very expensive, bloody beautiful, however we already have tons, we don't have the clothes that fit (yet).
That's because the typical hesitation occurs in front of shoes that there's this expression: "Life is short, Buy the shoes".
Muriel, the expression refers to the pair of shoes you've in front of you, hence "THE shoes".
Claire, it's not exactly that it is important to enjoy life before kicking the bucket (there are other expressions) but close: let's buy the shoes, that's good for the morale.

Do the situations I described hereabove ring a bell?

Smile

gerardM

Page 28 sur 39 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33 ... 39  Suivant