Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes

Message  AgnesG le Lun 25 Jan - 11:54

Cette semaine une amie m'a prêtée le livre de Stephen Lewis "Flying Pigs" : le titre fait référence à l'expression bien connue des anglophiles : "and pigs might fly", traduit parfois en français par "quand les poules auront des dents". Je voudrai recommander ce livre aux amoureux de la langue anglaise car il traite avec humour des expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes.
Si en français nous parlons de la capote anglaise, nos amis disent: "a French letter", quand nous filons à l'anglaise", eux préfèrent utiliser l'expression " to take French leave". Quant à notre délicieuse "crème anglaise", les anglais la traduisent plus souvent par : "custard cream".
Si vous venez au café polyglotte de Boulogne, je vous montrerai la liste (non exhaustive) des mots français utilisés par les anglais. Elle est en fait bien supérieure à la liste des mots anglais utilisés par les français, ce qui réjouira les puristes de la langue française et vous encouragera dans l'apprentissage de la langue.
Chercher le mot "French" dans un dictionnaire anglais, vous trouverez sans doute :"French bean"(haricot vert),"French chalk" (craie de tailleur), "French door" (porte-fenêtre), "French dressing" (vinaigrette), "French fry","French kiss","French knickers", "French leave", "French letter","French loaf" (baguette), "French marigold", "French pastry", "French pleat", "French polish" (vernis), "French seam", "French toast" (pain perdu)......
"To put it in a nutshell", bref comme disent les anglais, venez nous rejoindre le mercredi soir au café "Tôt ou Tard" pour compléter la liste.
AgnesG
AgnesG

Lieu : Boulogne
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Re: Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes

Message  MurielB le Lun 25 Jan - 14:12

See you in "Tot ou t'art" this coming wednesday. I want to know more about the interesting expressions you have mentioned
Muriel
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Re: Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes

Message  Admin le Mar 26 Jan - 15:31

Angleterre Est-ce que l'on peut mettre dans la même catégorie "French Fries" et "French Touch"?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty réponse à Admin

Message  AgnesG le Mer 27 Jan - 13:14

Actually i don't know what do you mean by "French touch", i wrote down this list of expressions to make people think of all the connections we have with English and to encourage them to speak Shakespeare's language.
AgnesG
AgnesG

Message  Admin le Mer 27 Jan - 16:20

"French touch" depend of the fashion (the wind ... on air ...)
sometine, it is linked to the seduction
in the end of last century, it was techno music band (like Daft Punk, Air, Cassius, Daid Guetta...)
now it's in making animation movies (eg: "Là haut" is french made, but with american pognon)

I just say that 4 fun, and please correct my poor english
Admin
Admin
Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Januaray 28 th "with a french touch"

Message  MurielB le Jeu 28 Jan - 10:10

I asked peter and he said that anything which looks french has a french touch : To dress with a french touch, to eat with a french touch etc...please, correct me if I am wrong, Peter, when you read that message
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty About "custard cream"

Message  AgnesG le Ven 5 Fév - 17:16

I would like to add some information to my message, i spoke about 'custard cream" as a "crème anglaise". Nevertheless my English friends said to me that a custard cream is a biscuit sandwich traditionnaly with a vanilla cream in the centre. If we want to speak about "crème anglaise' you have to say just "custard". So please forgive me and to make your mouth water,have a look at it !!; study
Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Be6e7516
AgnesG
AgnesG

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty All things French

Message  David le Dim 21 Fév - 15:31

You can get custard creams in Strasbourg. A couple of shops with English goods sell them, but the price is unfortunately not very reasonable.
I make quizzes and a few weeks ago I made this picture quiz...can you identify the 10 'French' items?

Dernière édition par David le Dim 19 Fév - 13:52, édité 1 fois
David
David

Lieu : Strasbourg
Langues : Gb (Langue maternelle ?)

http://www.chatbella.com/

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Ma réponse pour le quiz

Message  AgnesG le Dim 21 Fév - 20:15

Thank you very much for joining us, I hope I found the good answers :
1 The French Lieutenant's Woman
2 The French kiss
3 The French Catheter Scale
4 The French Loaf
5 The French Polynesia
6 I know "The French Pleat"(chignon banane), but here it must be different, can i say :" The french fringe", or perhaps just "The French woman", may i have a clue, I give in ! scratch
7 The French Defense
8 The French Academy
9 The French dressing
10 The French Open Title
Let me know if i'm right, my brain needs some rest now !! Smile
AgnesG
AgnesG

Message  David le Lun 22 Fév - 14:28

Very good, Agnes! 9/10
6. She's a British comedian with a "French" name...I'm sure someone out there knows her...
David
David

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Question 6 of the quizz

Message  AgnesG le Mar 23 Fév - 10:12

Is she Dawn French? Twisted Evil
To be honest i didn't know her No
AgnesG
AgnesG

Message  David le Mar 23 Fév - 15:26

Yes! Well done...
David
David

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty Dunkirk spirit

Message  MurielB le Mar 11 Aoû - 22:56

« Dunkirk Spirit » is an attitude of being very strong in a difficult situation and refusing to accept defeat
https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4860620/dunkirk-spirit-phrase-history-world-war-2/%3famp=true

Over eight days in May 1940, hundreds of thousands of Allied troops stranded in northern France were rescued by boat and taken back to England. Some were rescued by military boats, other had to wait for hours, stood shoulder to shoulder in the water, to wait for the flotilla of fishing boats, lifeboats and civilian sail boats hastily assembled by people back in Britain. The story of the rescue against the odds and the conditions that the soldiers endured has entered into British lore, to the extent that people in the U.K. today still talk of the “Dunkirk Spirit.”

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty swear words

Message  MurielB le Jeu 10 Sep - 10:08

Hello everyone
swear words In French we would say "gros mots"swearing, obscene language, language full of obscenitie=>swearing like a trooper
Excuse my French=> https://www.google.fr/search?ei=CN9ZX4OmE6qRlwSa57_oBw&q=excuse+my+French+where+does+that+come+from+%3F&oq=excuse+my+French+where+does+that+come+from+%3F&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeOgQIABBHOgIIADoECAAQQzoECAAQEzoICAAQFhAeEBM6CAgAEBYQChAeOgYIABANEB46CggAEBYQChAeEBM6BQghEKABULKYAVjL9QFggv0BaABwAngAgAGWAYgBjg-SAQQyNy4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiDytKbkd7rAhWqyIUKHZrzD30Q4dUDCA0&uact=5
The expression "Excuse my French" originates from the 19th century, and was used literally. When English people used French expressions in conversation, they would often apologise for it, presumably because many of their listeners were not familiar with the language! Example: "Excuse my French, but that guys needs a kick in the ass!"
Pardon my French, or excuse my French, is an apology for the use of profanity; the expression dates from 1895. Pardon is derived from the old French pardoner meaning, “to grant, forgive.”

To turn the air blue=>To speak a stream of bad language; to curse and swear

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Idioms : Expressions idiomatiques anglo-saxonnes Empty To break a leg

Message  MurielB le Mar 20 Oct - 10:05

"Break a leg" is a typical English idiom used in theatre to wish a performer "good luck". ...

See the entire meaning=>Here

MurielB
MurielB
Admin