Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

American English at State

2 participants

Page 12 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Suivant

American English at State - Page 12 Empty Re: American English at State

Message  gerardM Dim 7 Mai - 14:22

MurielB a écrit:Hi Gérard, all the expressions in American English are super and I wish I could remember them all. Anyway personally I have problems with the different accents. All the different ways of pronouncing the various words are for me still difficult.
Muriel, I don't try to remember... it'd be a good way to make a mistake (remember an idiom has to be exactly said) and a case of discouragement.
As you know, I count on the frequency of "meeting" (a word/expression) to learn.
If I don't meet the expression a second time, it means it's not common and not worth learning.
In the beginning I don't remember "to throw (someone) a curve ball", then, after a second meeting, knowing about baseball and curve balls (tricky balls that are difficult to catch), I'll -for sure- perfectly understand the meaning (as I hear); after a 3rd/4th meeting, I can say it myself.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Mai - 22:27

Tx Gérard,I understand that "Patience" is the key word.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Dim 7 Mai - 22:35

MurielB a écrit:Tx Gérard,I understand that "Patience" is the key word.
Muriel, it's not especialy patience, it's efficiency without the stress and the risks of discouragement.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Mai - 16:33

When you're frustrated, how do you keep calm so that you don't get "bent out of shape?" #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 17952886_10155546438259123_1996002337842422526_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Mai - 16:43

Who guides your team through challenging times at your workplace? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18423941_10155546290054123_6307301384179487060_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 10 Mai - 21:13

Who's the apple of your eye? #AmericanEnglish #idioms

American English at State - Page 12 18403383_10155549662834123_7689608934633602930_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 10 Mai - 22:05

Gérard that expression is very sweet all the more so since I am also a grand ma
I have searched for its origin. It dates  from around the eighth century and Shakespeare used the phrase in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, 1600:
Flower of this purple dye,
Hit with Cupid’s archery,
Sink in apple of his eye 

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 11 Mai - 20:19

Here's a review of the last few days of job- and interview-related vocabulary. Can you use each of these (or at least one of these) in your own original sentence? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18341793_10155552497974123_178763355373302682_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 11 Mai - 23:00

No, this vocabulary is not too difficult !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 12 Mai - 10:58

MurielB a écrit:No, this vocabulary is not too difficult !
OK Muriel.

Approximately understand the meaning (reading/listening to English texts/speeches) is one thing, using the words to express your ideas -without mistake- is another thing.
Are you sure you caught the differences?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 12 Mai - 22:40

yes Gérard, to be sure I should use them for the next polyglot ;-)

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 20 Mai - 14:12

We're going to post a short series of graphics on one of Admin's favorite grammar topic: gerunds. Let's start with this one: "What is a gerund?"
We'll post more graphics over the next several days on how to use gerunds in #AmericanEnglish.

American English at State - Page 12 18664211_10155580648994123_8054664677872516613_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 21 Mai - 16:43

How do you keep calm so that you don't "lose your cool"? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18527962_10155583756604123_6910957773661553333_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 23 Mai - 16:22

When would you tell a friend that you could help him or her out "in a pinch"? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18581469_10155589617064123_1687105108763920336_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 23 Mai - 17:00

Here are two more phrases that often go before a gerund. Try one of them out by answering this question: How do you have fun learning #AmericanEnglish?

American English at State - Page 12 18581590_10155589450479123_8112155066454084334_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 24 Mai - 14:46

Are you excited about learning #AmericanEnglish?

American English at State - Page 12 18582082_10155592278589123_7112685119011094938_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 25 Mai - 18:51

American English at State - Page 12 18664162_10155595676264123_2354443968824511216_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 26 Mai - 16:46

Here are some money-related idioms. Try to use one of them in a sentence! #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18698440_10155598406969123_8466583416952717226_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 26 Mai - 17:00

What are you devoted to doing every day? #AmericanEnglish

American English at State - Page 12 18740357_10155598276929123_458146067337151866_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 27 Mai - 14:49

We have a few more phrases that are often followed by gerunds for you. Today: phrases with "from." 
Admin would never want to stop you from learning #AmericanEnglish! Hopefully, these graphics help you to continue, not stop, your learning journey.

American English at State - Page 12 18766023_10155601402164123_504375719277799213_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 27 Mai - 20:54

Telling a joke in a new language can be tricky. Do you have a good joke in #AmericanEnglish?
All kidding aside, learning and telling jokes can be a great way to practice English!

American English at State - Page 12 18671080_10155601524124123_9129281750415235259_n

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 27 Mai - 21:56

Hi everyone !
If you want to understand American jokes, please read this
https://www.columbiawestcollege.edu/2015/04/01/understanding-american-jokes/
Understanding American Jokes: Slapstick
The most common type of American humor is slapstick. Slapstick is physical comedy that laughs at stupid mistakes or clumsy accidents. April Fools’ Day jokes, America’s Funniest Home Videos, and Vine videos get laughs using slapstick jokes and pranks. To learn more about these jokes, read our article, April Fools’ Day
Understanding American Jokes: Insult Comedy & Impersonations
Insult comedy is another favorite type of American humor. Joan Rivers, who died in 2014, was one of the most popular insult comics. She was known for insulting other celebrities’ appearances, lifestyles, and work. An insult is a joke that criticizes someone’s personality, looks, or behavior to get a laugh. Sometimes insult comedy is harmless, and no one’s feelings get hurt. But, insult comedy can sometimes sound mean.
Robin Williams, a comedian who also died in 2014, was known for many types of jokes. Robin Williams was best known for his impersonations and funny characters. (An impersonation is an imitation or mocking of someone’s voice, speaking style, and personality.) Impersonations, like insult comedy, can sometimes seem mean. But not always. Sometimes the person being impersonated finds the jokes funny, too.
Robin Williams was well-known for his character in Mrs. Doubtfire. In this movie, he impersonates an older female nanny to spend time with his children after his divorce. The humor in the film is slapstick and situational irony. The viewers know he is not really a woman. But, few of the characters in the film know he is actually a man. A hilarious scene from Mrs. Doubtfire is available here:

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 27 Mai - 23:32

Thanks for these explanations Muriel.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 28 Mai - 8:45

You're welcome Gérard !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 28 Mai - 10:03

The description makes me think of Donnie's behavior... Razz

gerardM

Page 12 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Suivant