Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Facebook Twitter Google etc.

4 participants

Page 1 sur 3 1, 2, 3  Suivant

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Facebook Twitter Google etc.

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Jan - 21:45

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.
Hi everyone,

I don't know if you heard about the "scandals" of Twitter, according to the French laws.

On Twitter nowadays, it's on fashion to write silly tweets (messages) about any subject and especially the most provocative.

For example, there are messages that French associations consider as racism, as call to murder, etc.

Difficult to match the points of view.
The French politicians want Twitter to respect French laws and cancel any messages which are not acceptable (certains are "crimes").
The American Constitution includes "freedom of expression".

Twitter is proud to let anyone post what they want and to have been used the "Arabic revolutions".

Twitter was sued by French Associations and is ready to hide forbidden messages in certain countries... governments would decide but what about tiranic, dictatorial states? Who would judge?

Google had similar problems in China... not exactly similar as Google was not at the origin but only displayed Web pages.

It's rather easy to get round local IP detection.

What do you think?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Re: Facebook Twitter Google etc.

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Jan - 21:33

Hi everyone,

In my first message, I wrote
gerardM a écrit:... The American Constitution includes "freedom of expression".

I checked to see if "expression" was a correct word (sometimes, there's a specific form in official documents and a different one looks dodgy).
More specifically I wanted to ponder "expression" (Freedom of expression) and "speech" (Freedom of speech).

-> U.S. Constitution
-> Cornell University Law School
-> Wikipedia -Freedom of speech in the United States

Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief.
The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right of freedom of speech. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government.
Another interesting point is
Despite popular misunderstanding the right to freedom of the press guaranteed by the first amendment is not very different from the right to freedom of speech. It allows an individual to express themselves through publication and dissemination. It is part of the constitutional protection of freedom of expression. It does not afford members of the media any special rights or privileges not afforded to citizens in general.
... so, the right to freedon of the press is notg different from the right to freedom of speech for individuals.

NB: Pls note
- "right to..."
- "to consist of" (in fact the possible prepositions are "of" or "in" -to consist of sth or to consist in sth- according to the context but mandatorily "to consist in doing")

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Google's 'Hummingbird' search engine update to provide better answers to queries

Message  gerardM Dim 29 Sep - 17:04

Hi everyone,

Google is celebrating its 15th anniversary.

Facebook Twitter Google etc. 1380310545_Photo-Google-Hummingbird

-> (dna) Google's 'Hummingbird' search engine update to provide better answers to queries
Google has reportedly retooled its search engine with an update called as ‘Hummingbird’, in a bid to provide better search answers to its users.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 29 Sep - 17:07

-> (The Economic Times) A look at "Hummingbird", Google's new search algorithm (slideshow)

or

-> (French Zebulon.fr) Google fête ses 15 ans et son nouveau algorithme Hummingbird

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 29 Sep - 17:14

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Temp15

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Is the Facebook generation anti-social?

Message  gerardM Sam 14 Déc - 21:26

Hi everyone,

Good question (so I think Smile ).

-> (telegraph.co.uk) Is the Facebook generation anti-social?
A new film, The Bling Ring, highlights how teenagers want to broadcast their lives via a screen, rather than savouring the moment. Has this generation lost touch with reality?
Sometimes the kids can look like they’re living in another world. While the day whirls around them, they’re lost in their mobile phones – photographing, Tweeting, texting, emailing. Living life doesn’t seem be enough; they have to record and share it, too. It raises the questions: “How widespread is this phenomenon” and “Should we be worried about it?”

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 14 Déc - 22:11

t=>they have to record and share it, too
The Young generation  needs an audience, they can't just live and forget . I heard on the radio that Face book helps them to have the impression that their lives are interesting. Are they narcissistic ? I think so. Perhaps it is good for their development and self-esteem, perhaps it is just smokescreen. I don't know.  scratch

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Sam 14 Déc - 22:26

Hi Muriel,

> Perhaps it is good for their development and self-esteem, perhaps it is just smokescreen.
Maybe more worrisome.

I often watch the American society to try to guess what the French one might become.

Video-games in which deaths are multiple...
TV reality shows...
Sportsman wages...
Top model fashion...
Singer success...

When I see young people able to use weapons in schools for a few hour global success, I'm worried. Sad

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 14 Déc - 22:36

Hi Gérard.
The virtual world is dangerous and young people should remain linked to the real world. A good balance is important. Anyway we could  weigh up Facebook and virtual world  pros and cons. It should be used moderately. What I like is that that it creates links between people 
Video games when you can kill people are bad of course. I don't like them but I have read that they are good for the brain.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Teens abandoning Facebook, yet the world survives

Message  gerardM Mar 21 Jan - 15:09

Hi everyone,

-> Teens abandoning Facebook, yet the world survives
The stats, from Washington, D.C.-based digital agency iStrategyLabs, found that about 3.3 million teens aged 13 to 17 left Facebook from January 2011 to this month, a negative growth for that demo of -25.3 percent over three years.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 21 Jan - 23:03

Hi Gérard
They are leaving for Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp . Amazing isn't it ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Jan - 0:15

Teens leave too successful networks, where their parents are Wink

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 24 Jan - 13:30

gerardM a écrit:Hi everyone,

-> Teens abandoning Facebook, yet the world survives
The stats, from Washington, D.C.-based digital agency iStrategyLabs, found that about 3.3 million teens aged 13 to 17 left Facebook from January 2011 to this month, a negative growth for that demo of -25.3 percent over three years.

I Gérard, everyone
Facebook users are growing older. The oldest is nearly 106 and has no intention of swiching to any other social network http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2014-01-23/social-media/46513522_1_oldest-user-direct-relief-facebook

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Jan - 15:04

MurielB a écrit:I Gérard, everyone
True that EMts tend to shorten and simplify words but they never had the idea to use your spelling Smile
In fact if they had to keep one letter only I guess it would be "H" which is the sound that is better heard in Hello, Hi, Hey, Howdy, Hoy...

... I'm teasing you.

Dernière édition par gerardM le Ven 24 Jan - 16:05, édité 2 fois

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Jan - 15:11

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:I Gérard, everyone
Facebook users are growing older. The oldest is nearly 106 and has no intention of swiching to any other social network http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2014-01-23/social-media/46513522_1_oldest-user-direct-relief-facebook
Thanks for your message and link.
I wrote teens were leaving FB because their parents were there... but I see their grand-parents are also on FB.
Did you ask to become Kirchmaier's friend?

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Too much Facebook can make you unfaithful

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Fév - 18:29

Hi there,

-> Too much Facebook can make you unfaithful
A study suggests that the human candy store that is Facebook can be too much for those of weak flesh.
How is one supposed to choose when one has 300 TV channels or 150 bars or 500 million members of one's target sex on Facebook?
We are not equipped for discernment. We are mere chemicals trying to get through the day.
Now, the worst has been confirmed by science. A study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking says that the more time you spend on Facebook, the more your eyes will wander toward Wanda. Or Sheila. Or that weird girl with the pointy ears you met at the dentist.

Do you agree?  scratch weird isn't it?

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Google Donates $6.8M to SF Youth Transit Program

Message  gerardM Ven 28 Fév - 21:59

Hi there.

-> Google Donates $6.8M to SF Youth Transit Program
It was Christmas in February for working-class San Francisco youth when Google gifted them two years of free public transportation.

The $6.8 million donation is undoubtedly a move to soften the search giant's reputation in the city, where people are protesting the tech industry's use of public bus stops for their private shuttles.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee hopes this is just the beginning of a series of charitable moves by Google and other local organizations.
Are American companies more involved in social projects?

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty Google must delete search results on request, rules EU court

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Mai - 22:24

Hi there.

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Temp429
(click pic to access article)

Okay... if Google can do it.
 scratch 
I'm skeptical. it is the site that hosts information which has to get rid of it - Google can filter the results but not delete from the host.

A few days ago, I listened to a big head of the CNIL who explained that we had to contact the host company
(with possible help from CNIL).

Google argues that it does not control the information it links to, only indexes it, and that amending search results amounts to censorship. "In our view, only the original publisher can take the decision to remove such content," argued Google's Head of Free Expression Bill Echikson last year. "Once removed from the source webpage, content will disappear from a search engine's index."

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 17 Mai - 22:40

After my reading, I repeat: this is weird, I'm skeptical.
Lawyers ruled but Google is powerful enough... we'll see.

Read the last part: "'Yet another hurdle'"

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 18 Mai - 21:54

Yes a fair balance between freedom of information and privacy rights is difficult to set.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 18 Mai - 22:05

In business, fairness rarely exists.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 18 Mai - 22:11

Yes but without  win-win Relationships you can't build up long lasting business relations.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Mai - 15:24

I agree Muriel.
However, the rhythm/the tempo of business companies and governments/societies is not the same so that there are periods when companies are on the stage without any opponents.

gerardM

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Empty See My Personality Based on My Facebook Posts | Five Labs

Message  gerardM Ven 13 Juin - 14:30

Howdy,

What do you think?
This is typically new technology (I referred to this in a post yesterday): a big part of "new industry" is based on personal information so that progress seems to go against confidentiality.

Facebook Twitter Google etc. Temp143
See My Personality Based on My Facebook Posts | Five Labs
(click pic to access)

As you can see
Facebook Twitter Google etc. Temp144
Five Labs "swears" they won't publish on the Internet.

Yes,  in my opinion, this would be the worst.

In today's Social Network area, companies create an attractive application and proposes it on social networks such as Facebook. This way, they can get personal information and store it in order to use it later (stats, ads, etc.)
Other companies -not the case for Five Labs, so they say today- will publish on the social networrk, on your behalf... friends or public will think YOU published a text (sometimes political topic or ads or anything)!! In addition, you (yourself) won't even know that you were supposed to have published (your friends read, probably won't tell you but you don't know it; future head hunters can read and you don't even know)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 13 Juin - 14:52

Hi,

Believe me -or not-, when you do the test, you have the possibility to ask te same diagram about your Facebook friends... and 5Labs doesn't ask your friends' permissions!! affraid THIS IS NOWADAYS' WORLD!!

gerardM

Page 1 sur 3 1, 2, 3  Suivant