Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

5 participants

Page 27 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Mar - 18:03

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Temp1939

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Empty Re: Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com

Message  MurielB Lun 10 Mar - 21:35

Thanks Gerard for reminding me the word clunky
clunky (ˈklʌŋkɪ)
adj, clunkier or clunkiest
1. making a clunking noise
2. ponderously ungraceful or unsophisticated: clunky boots.
3. awkward or unsophisticated: then you guffaw at clunky dialogue.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  MurielB Sam 15 Mar - 9:23

gerardM a écrit:
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1911628_755750451110614_1998238747_n

Isn't it the recurring debate on the respective importance of the innate and the acquired ? In my opinion, a good balance is the answer.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Sam 15 Mar - 16:33

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1510539_757505080935151_1447965089_n
(click pic to enlarge)

I was not able to read, were you?

As I often write it: "also read the comments":
Nikki Hudson What makes me most sad is that while the student DOES need help with writing, ADULTS are making fun of the effort.
Tina Wayland Perhaps the problem is bigger than the student's inability to write. Perhaps the problem is that people chose to make fun of this student and the school instead of finding a way to help children who are clearly eager to learn. I can't believe this newspaper thought it OK to publish this. But it's the Post, after all. I'm more surprised that Grammarly jumped on the bash-the-ignorant-student bandwagon.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 16 Mar - 18:43

Let the ‪#‎GrammarMadness‬ begin!

Over the course of the next few weeks, we’re going to use social media to determine the most detestable of all written errors. After all, who better to make the decision than the world’s largest community of grammarians?

Behold: the battle for the dubious distinction of Most MADDENING Writing Error!

★ Voting begins March 18th! Who do you think will win?★
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1907571_758244487527877_1869443954_n
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 16 Mar - 23:30

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1920356_756770667675259_1083362153_n

Perhaps some of you will be surprised by the "ambiguity" of the first clause "When kids look up...":
Never a future after "when"!
Paul was singing "When I'm 64"

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 18 Mar - 19:36

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1958547_759045034114489_2038538812_n

Grammarly.com posts this because of a mistake...

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 19 Mar - 15:57

Grammarly
Tell us what you think!
✎ Do you think some grammar errors should no longer be considered wrong? Which ones?
Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 10003431_759046924114300_2108342839_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 19 Mar - 16:00

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Temp1951

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 26 Mar - 15:01

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:... Christ ?
Possibly but it's only one example. I guess Ernest wanted something general.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 28 Mar - 23:00

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Temp262

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 30 Mar - 14:55

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1962642_764609890224670_688428461_n

Oh Thanks a lot Mr/Ms Grammarly, I didn't know
I guessed it came from Latin
 C\'est vrai!! 

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 5 Avr - 21:39

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Temp1977

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 5 Avr - 21:47

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 1979490_767469813272011_2850105_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mer 9 Avr - 16:08

Internet English Resources by Grammarly.com - Page 27 Temp1995

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 10 Avr - 21:48

This thread reaches 1,000 posts.

It will go on under the title "Internet English Resources - Grammarly.com 2".

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Avr - 18:31

Hi Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:Gérard
I can't remember where. scratch ..you have written somewhere that one of the meaning of way is "far"
 way too heavy; way down the road.
I never use it and I wanted to find expressions.
Thanks for that.
I prolly wrote something in "True English".

I confirm "way" is a synonym of "far" but as adverbs and used to amplify the meaning of what follows, usually an adjective.
I use "way" very often. "Way" is very used in the States nowadays; it's the equivalent to our numerous French words "trop", "vachement", "sacrément", "giga", "méga", etc.
Here's what my dictionary says:
II adverb to live way beyond one's means vivre largement au-dessus de ses moyens; we went way over budget le budget a été largement dépassé; to be way out (in
guess, estimate) [person] être loin du compte; to be way more expensive/dangerous être bien plus coûteux/dangereux; to go way beyond what is necessary aller bien
au-delà de ce qui est nécessaire; that's way out of order je trouve ça un peu fort.
4 (to a great degree, very much) bien; far better/shorter/more expensive bien mieux/plus court/plus cher; far too fast/cold bien trop vite/froid; far too much money bien trop
d'argent; far too many people bien trop de gens; far more bien plus; far above/below the average bien au-dessus/au-dessous de la moyenne; the results fell far
short of expectations
les résultats étaient bien loin de ce qu'on espérait; interest rates haven't come down very far les taux d'intérêt n'ont pas beaucoup baissé;
they are far ahead of their competitors ils sont largement en tête de leurs concurrents;

gerardM

Message  Ajie62 Sam 29 Nov - 23:19

Grammarly.com a l'air d'être un site très intéressant. Encore une fois, dommage que ce soit payant.

Ajie62

Lieu : Boulogne-sur-Mer
Langues : Français (langue maternelle), anglais (B2), allemand (B1), chinois (B1), japonais (A1), italien (A1), russe (A1)

Message  gerardM Sam 29 Nov - 23:52

Their Grammar Coach is very sophisticated.

gerardM

Message  Ajie62 Dim 30 Nov - 0:21

I'd like to use this website, unfortunately since I am a student, I don't have enough money and cannot afford to spend money on this...

Ajie62

Lieu : Boulogne-sur-Mer
Langues : Français (langue maternelle), anglais (B2), allemand (B1), chinois (B1), japonais (A1), italien (A1), russe (A1)

Message  gerardM Dim 30 Nov - 11:26

Hi Ajie62,
Do you really need such a sophisticated tool? It was designed for professionals.
When we learn a language it's a good exercise to learn the rules, memorise, understand and play with the language.

Now there are other web sites providing free and helpful resources.

My use of this Grammarly.com website is just to pick up funny (or not) pictures, sayings... through them, we can feel the American culture.
However these items are designed for natives, not for learners.

gerardM

Message  ThunderWolf Mar 28 Avr - 23:16

There is a bug with the pictures in my browser. Do everyone get the same ?

EDIT : It is only with the first ones, it seems.

ThunderWolf

Lieu : Belgique
Langues : Français, Anglais, Néerlandais

http://my-wordbook.com

Page 27 sur 27 Précédent  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27