Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

The Schindler's List

4 participants

The Schindler's List  Empty The Schindler's List

Message  JeanPierreD Lun 17 Fév - 18:15

Schindler’s list

Schindler’s List is an American epic historical drama film directed and co-produced by famous and world known Steven Spielberg.  This very very sad film has been inspired by the book,  Schindler’s Ark released in 1982 by the Australian novelist Thomas Keneally and published in the US as Schindler’s List.
The original title of the book Schindler’s Ark refers to the legendary story from the bible when God was so fed up he decided to wipe mankind from the face of the earth ; one righteous man among all the people of that time, Noah built an ark for him and his family  and two of every living creature (male and female, according God’s instructions) etc…    in preparation for the catastrophic flood that would destroy every living thing on earth...
At the outbreak of the Second World about 3,5 millions Jews were living  in Poland . When Germany attacked Poland on september 1. 1939 and the Soviet Union on september 17, they occupied one part of Poland where 60 % of the Jews were living.  Poland was where the German Nazi program for the extermination of Jews, the « Final Solution » was implemented since this was where the majority of Europe’s Jews lived at that time ( excluding the Soviet Union) .
Following the german army the Wehrmacht, were a lot of people willing to make the most of the war (war profiteers) , among them was a german industrialist  Oskar Schindler who arrived in the city of Krakow to make his fortune . He was hiring jews workers because it was very cheap for him and he could make high profits in his enamal ware (pot making) . But he wittnessed the massacre ordered by the SS  after they decided that the Krakow’s ghetto where all the polish have been gathered  would be liquidated. And he saw the construction of the concentration camp of Plaszow, south of the town of Krakow . Schindler was a member of the Nazi Party and he befriended with Goeth the SS responsible for the camp, both were gamblers, heawy drunkers and womanizers. …
So Schindler was not a saint but eventually he has been moved by the cruality and the sufferings of the people sent on trains as cattle to the extermination camps and he decided to save as many people as he could. He lavished  bribes on Wehrmacht and SS officials  and  with the help of Itzhak Stern  a local Jew official and accountant who ran his factory, he hired as many people « deemed essential to the German war effort » which saved them from being transportated to concentration camps or killed. At the end of the war, as the Germans began to lose the war, Goeth was ordered to ship the remaining Jews at Plaszow to Auschwitz concentration camp. Schindler asked Goeth to move his workers to a new ammunitions factory he planned to build in his home town Zwittau Brinnlitz. Goeth agreed on the condition of a huge bribe.
Schindler and Stern created « Schindler’s list » a list of people to be transferred to Brinnlitz and therefore saved from transport to Auschwitz.
Up to 1200 people have been saved that way .
In 1958 Schindler was declared a righteous person by the council of the Yad Vashen in Jerusalem. He had his tree still growing in the Avenue of the Righteous.
The film by Spielberg was a huge success but as « it was blood money » Spielberg decided the money needed to be put back to the Jewish community , into the Righteous Persons Foundation.

Please feel free to point out big mistakes in my messages in a foreign language. Thanks to your remarks, I'll be able to improve my level.
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The Schindler's List  Empty Re: The Schindler's List

Message  MurielB Lun 17 Fév - 21:36

Hi Jean-Pierre
Thanks for writing about that wonderful film. I saw it a couple of years ago, I don't know when. Time flies so quickly. I was impressed by that man who saved 1200 jews. He wasn't pleased with himself because he thought he could have saved more.
I remember perfectly his sorrow when he realized that.
It is the same with everyone. whatever your struggle, there is always more to do. You can't be self -satisfied, your job is never finished.  Sad

[Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir cette image] Merci de me faire part des grosses fautes dans mes messages en langue étrangère (en Message Privé). Grâce à vos remarques, je pourrai m'améliorer  [Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir cette image] 
Pour n'importe quelle  question =>[Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir ce lien]
Pour connaitre le mode d'emploi=>[Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir ce lien]
You Don't speak French              =>[Seuls les administrateurs ont le droit de voir ce lien] 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 17 Fév - 21:47

Hi Jean-Pierre, Muriel,

Thanks for your posting.
I also watched this film but also long ago.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Lun 17 Fév - 23:19

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I'm very impressed by the good level of your English. You are using words that I didn't know; I checked thinking of possible misuses but no, you were right. :-)  Congrats!

> Please feel free to point out big mistakes in my messages in a foreign language. Thanks to your remarks, I'll be able to improve my level.

A few general remarks though:
- don't forget the capital letter at the beginning of months, it's mandatory
- don't forget the capital letter at the beginning of the adjectives of nationality

> film has been inspired by the book...
I know that my habits are rather American than British... I would say "was inspired"
> from the face of the earth
I was wondering about your word "face"; I would have said "earth's surface" but the word "face" is well used so it's not a mistake
> according God’s instructions
The preposition "to" must not be forgotten after "according": "according to God’s instructions"
> september 1. 1939
Can you speak German? You're using the German pattern, the English way would be "September 1, 1939" or "the 1st of September 1939"
> 60 %
No space in English: 60%
> German Nazi program for the extermination of Jews
"Program" is the American spelling of the British "programme" (except for computing: program used on both sides of the Pond). Most of your text rather uses the British forms.
> He was hiring jews workers
"Jew" is a noun, "Jewish" is the adjective. No "s" for a modifier.
> enamal ware
??
> wittnessed
Witnessed
> all the polish have been gathered
Polish as a noun is acceptable; however "Polish" is rather an adjective, "Pole" is the noun.
> heawy drunkers
Typo - heavy drunkers
> So Schindler was not a saint but eventually he has been moved by the cruality
You are using a past for "was", you must use "had been moved" or "was moved"
The right spelling is "cruelty".
> the sufferings of the people
As far as I know (no I'm sure Wink), "suffering" is uncountable ie the form "sufferings" doesn't exist.
> sent on trains as cattle
I don't know why but I would rather say "like cattle"
> which saved them from being transportated to concentration camps
I couldn't find the verb "to transportate"

HTH

Feel free to comment on my remarks and refuse them.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  JeanPierreD Ven 21 Fév - 10:04

Hi everyone
Thank you Gerard for reading me so closely and correcting my text thoroughly. But don’t be impressed, the true level of my English is not so good. Each week , for the English training class  I attend , our teacher asks us at the beginning of the class to tell the group what we made or saw during the previous week . It can be anything you find interesting to tell about . As I saw this film I first dug in everything I can find on the internet about the topic, the film, the novel, Thomas Keneally, Steven Spielberg etc …. and then with all the pieces I wrote the text, but sometimes it is very very close from what I read. The purpose is then to be able  with all these new words and expressions to be able (without reading ) to speak with one’s « own » words….
Thank you for the general remarks about capital letters at the beginning of months and adjectives of nationality, It’s no a reflex yet.
The lack of preposition sometimes, the English pattern for the dates  ….are some of my usual mistakes even when I try to avoid them by rereading . The nouns made from the adjective of nationality are rather difficult, Poland, Polish, Pole,  Jewish, Jew … I should check in the dictionnary each time.
Concerning « Suffering » yes I think it is more uncountable I found only one exemple with sufferings in the free dictionnary:  The shortage of food caused widespread suffering; She keeps complaining about her sufferings.
Or a quotation from Yoko Ono
« I am aware of the sufferings of women in India, which is also the suffering of women in many, many countries on our planet. My heart is filled with empathy and love for them ».
The difference between « like » and « as »in « they were sent on trains as cattle ». Yes they were sent as if they were considered as cattle, it is perhaps why I made that mistake  but in fact yes they were sent on trains like cattle (would have been sent).
« Transportation » must be rather rare as a noun because I can’t find it in my dictionnary but I found it in the following phrase : Deportation and transportation to camps often took days. Individuals, families and whole communities together with their personal belongings were packed into cattle trucks. They were locked in and transported for days.
Thank you Gerard for all these useful remarks, you must be a very good teacher, it was a good opportunity for me to go back to my text and try to understand.
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  Guilaine Ven 21 Fév - 19:00

Hello everyone !

This film also impressed me a lot, and I count it among the best films I've ever seen.
But I didn't know Mr. Schindler's past and I thank you, Jean-Pierre, for reporting what you discovered in your research.

Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It