Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA

2 participants

The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA Empty The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA

Message  gerardM Ven 21 Mar - 18:58

Hi there.

-> The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA
Well, it’s official: We’re doomed. A study sponsored by NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center says so — and according to the accompanying report, we’ve only got a couple of decades left before the end of civilization as we know it occurs. That’s right: It’s happening in our lifetime.

This is why the whole “Eh, let future generations deal with our problems” philosophy is a bad, bad idea.

The report, which was written by applied mathematician Safa Motesharrei of the National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center, states that every single societal collapse for the past 5,000 years happened as a result of two occurrences: “The stretching of resources due to the strain placed on the ecological carrying capacity” and “the economic stratification of society into Elites and Masses (or ‘Commoners’).” Analysis of five major risk factors — population, climate, water, agriculture, and energy –—shows that we’re almost at the breaking point when it comes to both of those occurrences. Sooooo… we’re essentially living in the precursor to The Hunger Games’ Panem. Great.

Any comments?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA Empty Re: The End of Civilization As We Know It Is Nigh, According to NASA

Message  MurielB Ven 21 Mar - 21:55

Gérard, I agree that we are near the end of the industrial civilization but not the end of the world. why do we have to aim at making more and more money ? why do we have to always increase productivity ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empathic_Civilization

. Rifkin extrapolates the observed trend into the future, predicting that Internet and mobile technology along with small-scale renewable energy commercialization will create an era of distributed capitalism necessary to manage the new energy regime and a heightened global empathy that can help solve global problems.
We have already written about that in this forum but I do like his ideas.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas