Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say

Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say Empty Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Avr - 21:49

Hi everyone,

-> Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say
The asteroid that killed the dinosaurs 65.5 million years ago was a baby compared to one that hit 3.26 billion years ago.
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 11 (UPI) -- Researchers from Stanford University say an asteroid that hit the Earth 3.26 billion years ago dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs.
Causing the oceans to boil and the Earth to shake for half an hour, the rock hit the planet at approximately 44,000 miles per hour and was at least 23 miles in diameter. The impact center was greater than the distance between New York and Washington D.C. -- about 300 miles in diameter.

> similar to a 10.8-magnitude earthquake
Gosh!!  affraid

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say Empty Re: Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say

Message  gerardM Ven 11 Avr - 22:01

Hi everyone,

How exciting!!
I've got a record at this approximate period:
-3,5 Milliards ans - Vredefort (RSA), météorite de 20 km de diamètre
Is it this one?

gerardM

Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say Empty Re: Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Avr - 16:07

Hi there.

Early asteroid dwarfed the one that killed the dinosaurs, scientists say 793px-Planetoid_crashing_into_primordial_Earth

A cousin article -> Dino-Killing Rock Dwarfed By Colossal Asteroid That Smashed Earth Three Billion Years Ago
If the dinosaurs saw it coming, what they would have seen is a giant asteroid rocketing their way, crashing with the power of a billion Hiroshimas and eviscerating their kind from the surface the Earth (more or less). But that impact pales in comparison with the huge fist from space that smashed into the planet billions of years ago, a hammer blow so strong it may have created the geology of our world.
Scientists have played around with the idea of enormous asteroid hits in the early development of Earth, much much earlier than the impact that may have eliminated the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Now a new study of the geological features in a South African region known as the Barberton greenstone belt points to an ancient crash some 3.26 billion years ago.

gerardM