Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Human behaviour

2 participants

Human behaviour  Empty Human behaviour

Message  gerardM Mar 16 Juin - 22:32

1. Surviving the sneaky psychology of supermarkets

National Geographic Magazine

How many times have you dashed into a grocery store for one item, only to emerge with a cartload? Learn the secrets of how grocery stores manipulate us—and how you can avoid it.

Human behaviour  Safe_image.php?d=AQALbpgOujrV31Rl&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheplate.nationalgeographic.com%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F06%2FNationalGeographic_2168711-1125x750

Surviving the Sneaky Psychology of Supermarkets
Grocery shopping, start to finish, is a cunningly orchestrated process.
theplate.nationalgeographic.com

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Human behaviour  Empty Re: Human behaviour

Message  MurielB Mer 17 Juin - 21:34

Thanks Gérard ! It's true, we are manipulated by grocery stores ! Anyway, everyone can receive their organic food basket once a week. I find that very good and healthy
For instance in calais you have "terre d'opale" but I am sure you can have that possibility anywhere in different countries
http://www.mon-panier-bio.com/distributeur/les-paniers-de-legumes-terre-d-opale-chenelet/

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mer 17 Juin - 22:41

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

The article I generaly choose are interesting but, moreover, we must read with an open mind, ready to detect what is new in the vocabulary, with the grammar, with the language and take advantage to progress.

Here in the caption, I personally found 3 words I needed to investigate on (that means I need to look into a dictionary and read about all of the meanings of the noun, the verb, close words...), especially when it's a word that we already know about through a brand (such as Dash, such as Dim): to dash, sneaky, cunningly.

I don't try to memorize, the frequency giving the importance of my learning and memorizing.
Depending on the time I have, I prefer to investigate and not understand in the context (that I would do if I was reading on a train) - my online dictionary is very easy and quick.

As you know I'm very fond of the National Geographic. The level of language of this magazine is a reference. I subscribed and receive the monthly American issue: no street language (it permits me to better make the difference between the levels - imagine that Americans complain as they sometimes don't understand their use of the officiel unit of kg km, etc); imagine that when I read articles, I have to underline about 8 words per page that I need to learn).
The National Geographic is really impressive.

~~ edit

I won't analize the entire text but let me point out the "purchase" that Americans prefer to "buy".
A true pleasure to read NatGeo on line when I can refer to my online dictionary (and not reading on a train - I'm usually taking advantage of train trips to read books).

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 18 Juin - 7:11

Yes we need time to thoroughly read the text
The experience of dashing into the local Price Chopper, Safeway, or Piggly Wiggly for a quart of milk and emerging with a bulging cartload of unintended food purchases is universal

this first sentence for example is pretty well written !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Human behaviour  Empty Why Swearing Is Fucking Important

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Déc - 21:02

Howdy.

Staying Alive is Not Enough.

Human behaviour  Safe_image.php?d=AQAs7oVS3uB74qxM&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace

Why Swearing Is Fucking Important
I'm speaking with a woman who's lost her child. Let's call her Sue. She's describing the unbearable pain she's endured in facing the horror of having to live without the angel who so mightily filled her with joy. At one point in our…
TIMJLAWRENCE.COM

gerardM

Human behaviour  Empty How Creativity Drives Human Evolution

Message  gerardM Lun 24 Avr - 11:49

Howdy.

National Geographic

What makes us human? In large part it's that we can imagine something—and then make it real.

Human behaviour  Safe_image.php?d=AQBpuRb0sGS0wD1i&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.nationalgeographic.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fnews%2F2017%2F04%2F23%2Fbook_talk0423%2F01_book_talk_creative_spark.ngsversion.1492692256005.adapt.1900.1

How Creativity Drives Human Evolution
"Doing art is flexing our creative muscle and it’s really important."
NEWS.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 24 Avr - 14:43

yes Gérard I find this article very interesting. I also think that intelligence, imagination and cooperation drive the humanity forward.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Lun 28 Aoû - 20:44

Hi Gérard, I have just found an article which confirms what you have written.  
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/05/strong-language-swearing-makes-you-stronger-psychologists-confirm

When people cursed their way through the half-minute bike challenge, their peak power rose by 24 watts on average, according to the study
Mummies and daddies should be careful when they tell off their unrefined children. They should realize  that it is good for them. Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Human behaviour  Empty How You Lie Depends On Where You're From

Message  gerardM Dim 24 Sep - 21:22

Howdy.

Do you agree with this statement?
“Cultural differences impact how people lie.”

Human behaviour  Safe_image.php?d=AQDLwVyRSEpz0NqZ&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.atlasobscura.com%2Farticle_images%2F800x%2F15662%2Fimage

How You Lie Depends On Where You're From
This is a universal truth: human beings are terrible at spotting liars. Say you're in a situation with two people, where one is making a statement-it might...
WWW.ATLASOBSCURA.COM

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 24 Sep - 21:46

Hi Gérard, everyone
The culture of secrecy has an impact on what truth is. For instance when you watch a detective novel on television you can feel the atmosphere which is different when the action takes place in France, England, America, Spain etc. In some countries, nobody says anything and the atmosphere is heavy. Are they liars, are they educated to conceal facts and things ? Are they shy ? It is very difficult to know it for sure.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 26 Nov - 17:13

I have also read that people instinctively reach for swearwords when they hurt themselves and when they're looking for un extra boost in performance. In fact when people curse they way through a difficult task, their peak power rises by 24 watts on average !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mer 29 Aoû - 9:17

Yes

MurielB