Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)

2 participants

Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)  Empty Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)

Message  MurielB Lun 3 Jan - 10:52

Please analyse and explain the following sentences
She was schooled
She was in school
she was in the school
She was at school
She was at the school
Roger wrote the answers for us in "Se comprendre" I will write them in this forum soon... ;-)

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mar 4 Jan - 8:12, édité 1 fois
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)  Empty Re: Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)

Message  gerardM Mar 4 Jan - 0:10

Howdy Muriel, everyone,

J'ai essayé de chercher un peu pour connaitre les règles de ce forum mais n'ai pas eu trop de patience. Si mon message est incorrect, que les admins m'en excusent et suppriment mon post ! Wink
Est-il permis de commenter le post qui précède ?
~~
I tried to search a bit in order to know about the rules of this forum but I haven't much patience. If my message is not correct, thanks to the admins to excuse me and to delete my post! Smile
Is it permitted to comment on the previous post?

Looking forward to reading the answers to Muriel's questions.
gerardM
gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)  Empty Re: Did you pass the spy test....or not ( from " se comprendre " edited by Roger Malevez)

Message  MurielB Mar 4 Jan - 9:33

Thank you Gerard for writing in our forum. The rules are simple: you have to write in the right language in the right place. You can also comment on the previous posts
The forum is a polyglot cafe on the net (our purpose is to register members from different countries or from different polyglot cafes) but we have to be very patient, it is time consuming to keep it going. . It is also to advertise the polyglot cafe concept where friendship between different age groups or cultures is possible. Thank you for helping me improve my English and I have corrected my mistakes. Please do so as often as possible but use “La messagerie” (It is for private correspondence) People are not very confident and to help them write it is better not to correct mistakes in front of everyone. May I delete you post ? I am very pleased to welcome you and if you can post messages from time to time it would be great. You can also bring new people to our forum possibly from Australia or Unites States. Why not?
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Jeu 6 Jan - 13:49

Answer1 She was schooled : She was attended in / at school as a student (a stative passive)=> most of the cases or She was sent to and put into an educational etablishement (A full passive)=> we undersand implicit agency (Parents, teachers etc.)

2 She was in school : physically wihin/ inside the school building and there in order to study (The latter indicated by the absence of the definite article)

3 She was in the school : Physically in the school building but not to study (Indicated by the definite article) for a fun fair or an open day for example.

4 She was at school : To study or at least to be submitted to the school discipline either within the school grounds such as the playground or even on a school trip such as to a swimming pool in a different place.

5he was at the school. She was there but not to study and again not necessarily in the school building not even within the school grounds but subject to the school discipline ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 6 Jan - 14:45

Hi Muriel,

Thanks a lot for the post with these subtle and important nuances.
I appreciate the exercise! Smile
gerardM
gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/