Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

God save the queen is of French origin

God save the queen is of French origin Empty God save the queen is of French origin

Message  MurielB Jeu 23 Jan - 16:41

The French Marquise de Créquy wrote in her Souvenirs that a song named "Grand Dieu, sauvez le Roi!" ("Great God, save the King"), with words by Marie de Brinon [fr] and music by Jean-Baptiste Lully,[10] was performed in gratitude for the survival by Louis XIV of an anal fistula operation. (The surgical knife purpose-made for the occasion is on display in the Musée d'histoire de la médecine.[11]) Créquy claimed that the tune was later plagiarised by Handel, and so adopted by the British as "un de leurs air nationaux". (The entire story might have been intended as a joke.) After the Battle of Culloden, the Hanover dynasty supposedly adopted this melody as the British anthem. A different song, "Domine, Salvum Fac Regem" ("Lord, save the King"), was the unofficial French anthem until 1792

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen#History
Yesterday, at the polyglot café in Lille while I was at the Spanish table, a participant told me (in Spanish) of course and with a lot of application the story of King Louis XIV's fistula which gave birth to the English national anthem: God save the queen(king). I let you discover it in the English language

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas