Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ?

4 participants

The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ? Empty The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ?

Message  MurielB Jeu 9 Fév - 22:17

Does humour exist in France? Before the French revolution of 1789, the word humour was hardly known. People knew esprit (wit), farce (prank), bouffonnerie (drollery) and humeur (a state of mind, or mood), but not humour
Is the English humour strong on humour (humour) and short on wit (esprit) ? I have an English friend and when she got a new job she was very sad because the person she was working with lacked the sense of humour. what is the English sense of humour ? Can you help me to find out. self-deprecation is often there. Here is a typical English joke, I think
I went into the pub the other night and saw a man playing chess with his dog.I said that's a very clever dog you have there.No it's not he replied,it has'nt won a game yet.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 10 Fév - 9:56, édité 2 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ? Empty Re: The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ?

Message  gerardM Jeu 9 Fév - 22:57

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for your words: the French and the Brits are very different humorwise!

I guess that b/w Brits, French, Germans, Italians, Belgians, etc. everyone has their own sense of humor!
Humor is part of the culture, of education.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ? Empty Re: The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ?

Message  Admin Jeu 9 Fév - 23:47

People usually make joke to laught about their neighbor: People from Pas de Calais against People from Nord, Ch'ti against People from Bretagne ...
Are every english people correct between neighboring?

Admin

Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

The French have jokes. Do they have a sense of humour like the English ? Empty I am pretty sure that each of us has one sense of humour

Message  ireneO Ven 10 Fév - 12:20

I remember having read a cutting about that topic saying that the gap was rather wide between the French humour and the British one.
There were scores of examples I regret to have forgotten.

But most times it is true that humour is used to show kind of self deprecation.
You may know that story I was told by an American: If you meet somebody able to speak 3 languages you can say he is a polyglotte, if you meet somebody able to speak 2 languages you discover he is bilingual, if you meet somebody who knows a single language, you can guess immediately he is American.

A good week-end to everyone.

Irène.
ireneO
ireneO

Lieu : Eaubonne café-langues, Ermont
Langues : Française (Langue maternelle), En-US

Message  MurielB Ven 10 Fév - 18:40

ireneO a écrit:You may know that story I was told by an American: If you meet somebody able to speak 3 languages you can say he is a polyglotte, if you meet somebody able to speak 2 languages you discover he is bilingual, if you meet somebody who knows a single language, you can guess immediately he is American.

Il like your story Irène. Thank you for that Perhaps the French stand up comics use more gestures, exageration wheras a standup comic in England or America will perhaps be more understated.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 11 Fév - 1:05

Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that both Brits and French liked to laugh but...

... the Brits like to laugh at themselves (I don't mean other British guys but really at the guy who speaks -himself-)
... the French like to laugh at other guys (present or not in the audience), very rarely at themselves!!

I guess I already wrote this here on Cafe-Polyglotte: what the best idea to laugh at oneself! This way, who is going to laugh at you and criticize, especially when you made a mistake?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Sam 11 Fév - 9:46

Hello Gérard Hello Everyone
French women can laugh at themselves
https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com/t1408-un-peu-d-humour#5947

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Sam 11 Fév - 14:34

Bonjour Muriel !

:-)

Un autre trait des anglo-saxons, c'est de savoir entendre la critique voire la moquerie (de quelqu'un d'autres envers soi) et de sortir une plaisanterie pour en aténuer la portée.

gerardM