Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Sizing up the Millennials

2 participants

Sizing up the Millennials Empty Sizing up the Millennials

Message  MurielB Mer 22 Oct - 8:53

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/business/marketers-are-sizing-up-the-millennials-as-the-new-consumer-model.html?_r=0

Millennials have been called a lot of names. Narcissistic, lazy, indecisive. They have been labeled the boomerang generation for the many unable or unwilling to leave their parents’ home, or even more negatively, the Peter Pan generation because they supposedly won’t grow up.
But now marketers, manufacturers and retailers are recognizing the group’s potential as something important to their bottom line: the consumers who will drive the economy in the decades ahead.

Hi everyone !
The " Y generation " (ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.) are now  moving to surpass the babyboomers (born between 1946 and 1964) They  are changing the way everything is sold. Because they came of age during an economic crisis they put off their major purchases and their consuming behaviour is unpredictable. They are the most educated generation in the American history but they don't straight away buy a house or get married.  They rather focus on their career. Difficult for the marketers and manufacturers isn't it ? 
Anything to add is welcome ?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Sizing up the Millennials Empty Re: Sizing up the Millennials

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 14:40

Hi Muriel,
The subject is bloody interesting; I'll try to come again in a few hours as I'm going to trek now Wink

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 22:28

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

I cannot put up with journalists trying to find a good word, a remarkable expression just to show off.
Why do they laugh at teenagers who have to go back to their parents', who hesitate and don't know what to do? evert generation before them, has a big part of their environment and live which were similar to their parents' model, nowadays twenties find an unknown world; for the first time, we speak about leaving the Earth, about the end of what was our environment... they have to fix what had been made before and invent another world - how not to hesitate and be frightened? Their life is bloody difficult as sometimes after having settled in a couple, they have to cancel this start and go backwards because of losing their job.

Not surprising that their behavior is new and strange.

It’s worth remembering, of course, that baby boomers puzzled marketers in their day

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 22 Oct - 22:57

they have to fix what had been made before and invent another world -
Thanks Gérard for your answer. It's very difficult indeed !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 23:19

Hi Muriel,

You're welcome.

> It's very difficult indeed !
Fortunately, they are very courageous (as every generation is - they may not realize): many adults in this situation would get mad.

gerardM