Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

2 participants

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini Empty Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 10:28

Howdy,

The title of this thread refers to a song the under-sixties cannot know about.
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" is a novelty song telling the story of a shy girl wearing a revealing polka dot bikini at the beach. It was written by Paul Vance and Lee Pockriss and first released in June 1960 by Brian Hyland with orchestra conducted by John Dixon.
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"
Single by Brian Hyland from the album The Bashful Blond
Released June 1960
Genre Bubblegum pop
Length 2:19
Label Kapp Records
Writer(s) Paul Vance, Lee Pockriss
(cf Wikipedia)

LOL First time I hear about "Bublegum pop" for the genre and I find it very funny!
As for me, at the time I found this song rather silly but now, I love it.

Any comments? Any memories?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini Empty Re: Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 10:40

The title was different in English and in French.

English Lyrics:
[Brian Hyland] "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"
(Lee Julien Pockriss/Paul J. Vance)

Upon a beach there once was a pretty girl
who was afraid to go take a dip.
she was afraid to leave the cabin
she was afraid to show herself to the others.

one two three, she was trembling to show them what?
her tiny itsy bitsy teeny weeny very very small bikini
that she wore for the very first time.
an itsy bitsy teeny weeny very very small bikini
a red bikini with yellow little dots
one two three here is what happened next.

she couldn't think of leaving the cabin
she wrapped herself up in a bathrobe
cos she was afraid of shocking the others
and also of disturbing them

one two three, she was a afraid to show them what?
a red bikini with yellow little dots.
one two thee, here is what happened next.

she must now rush out of the shadows
but she's still scared of their prying eyes.
this is the moment to show the whole world
that which troubles her and make her tremble.

one two three, she was a afraid to show them what?
a red bikini with yellow little dots.

if this story amuses you
we can tell it again
if it is no funny, excuse me
in any case, its finished.

Taken from http://lyricstranslate.com/en/itsy-bitsi-petit-bikini-itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny-bikini.html#ixzz3GrR2K3Kc

French Lyrics:
[Brian Hyland] "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"
(Lee Julien Pockriss/Paul J. Vance)
adaptation française Lucien Morisse/André Salvet

Itsy bitsi petit bikini

Sur une plage il y avait une belle fille
Qui avait peur d'aller prendre son bain
Elle craignait de quitter sa cabine
Elle tremblait de montrer au voisin

Un deux trois elle tremblait de montrer quoi ?
Son petit itsi bitsi tini ouini, tout petit, petit, bikini
Qu'elle mettait pour la première fois
Un itsi bitsi tini ouini, tout petit, petit, bikini
Un bikini rouge et jaune à p'tits pois
Un deux trois voilà ce qu'il arriva

Elle ne songeait qu'à quitter sa cabine
Elle s'enroula dans son peignoir de bain
Car elle craignait de choquer ses voisines
Et même aussi de gêner ses voisins

Un deux trois elle craignait de montrer quoi ?
Un deux trois voilà ce qui arriva

Elle doit maintenant s'élancer hors de l'ombre
Elle craint toujours les regards indiscrets
C'est le moment de faire voir à tout le monde
Ce qu'il la trouble et qui la fait trembler

Un deux trois elle a peur de montrer quoi ?

Si cette histoire vous amuse
On peut la recommencer
Si c'est pas drôle on s'excuse

Copyright:
Writer(s): Lee Pockriss, Andre Michel Salvet, Lucien Morisse, Paul J. Vance
Copyright: Music Sales Corporation, Emily Music Corp.
Lyrics powered by www.musiXmatch.com
Taken from http://lyricstranslate.com/en/itsy-bitsi-petit-bikini-itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny-bikini.html#ixzz3GrQkQAdg

The French version was sung by 
Itsy bitsy petit bikini - Richard Anthony (click the link to get it from YouTube) and also by Dalida, Johnny Hallyday,...

Dernière édition par gerardM le Mer 22 Oct - 14:09, édité 1 fois (Raison : typo)

gerardM

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini Empty Re: Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Message  MurielB Mer 22 Oct - 13:46

Hi Gérard, everyone.
I only knew that song in French and I have just discovered it in English. Yes it is funny and innocent ! The words are very good and we easily figure out what's happening. Embarassed
Yes, those who don't know anything about the sixties can't understand. A song is a flashback in time and you immediately feel what you felt when you were younger.

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Espéranto, Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mer 22 Oct - 14:30

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

Yes.

If I started this thread, it's not because of that song; in fact, I want to draw attention on English words.

The English title is "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".
The French title is "Itsy bitsi petit bikini", sometimes "Itsi bitsi petit bikini".
In the lyrics of the French text, we find "itsi bitsi tini ouini" (this spelling shows how poorly French people pronounce En words).

Singers don't care about exact translations. Of course, they don't think about Shakespeare, they have better to do with the number of syllables to fit the music.
In addition to not caring about the exact translation, they seem nor to care about approximate translation.
Frank Sinatra didn't try to stay close to "Comme d'habitude".
Eddie Mitchell didn't care about "Johnny be good" (translating into "Eddie sois bon".

Here they just missed the translation of "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie".
It would have been rather difficult, not to say a headache.

But what does "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie" mean?
This shows -again-:
- the richness of the English language, all the ways to express the "same" idea... French is not as rich and it was impossible to translate the 4 En words
- the fact English speaking people like to play with words and sounds.
In English, these 4 words are not only sounds, and in fact there's a lot to say about them.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 23 Oct - 21:24

Yes Gérard, There are about 7 times more words in the English language than in French (500,000 against 70,000).

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini 434432271_837995898367711_696139415373841831_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2285d6&_nc_ohc=oayqvB2kHVAQ7kNvgH883zj&_nc_ht=scontent.flil1-1
La langue c'est Le Lien, Language is The Link, La Lengua es el Nexo de unión, Sprache ist die Verbindung, Il Linguaggio è Il Legame, La Lingvo estas La Ligilo etc.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Oct - 0:13

Thanks for these figures Muriel. Are you sure?
I felt there were more words but I never found confirmation.
I remember a few years ago, I was with my sister in San Francisco to visit Jeannine -our American friend, a French teacher- and I was saying to my sister English had more words and Jeannine said: "Ah, toi aussi tu dis ça) meaning she thought it but was not absolutely sure.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 24 Oct - 0:21

Muriel, everyone,

> But what does "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie" mean?
I wrote hereabove (one word? two words? scratch ) each of the 4 words had a meaning but a few are preferably used with one of the others. Do you know?
In addition, there are often several spellings, and/or other synonyms with a close pronunciation ie more than these 4 words have a similar meaning.
I help you: "bitsy" is rather American, the British equivalent is rather "bitty".
Similar remarks for "teenie" which comes from "tiny".

I said there was much to say. Smile

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 24 Oct - 22:12

Gérard "itty bitty""weenie"and "Teenie" all three mean "very small" I didn't know.Thanks for these explanations.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 27 Oct - 0:12

Muriel,

"Bitty" can be used by itself: "a little bitty piece of... cake" - it comes from "bit" which means small amount; English speaking people are used to adding a suffix "-y" or "-ie" for familiar thingies.

"Wee" by itself also has got the same meaning of "tout petit"; there are also the expressions "a wee bit", "in the wee small hours"...

"Teeny" means "minuscule": "a teeny bit".
Other spellings: "teensy", "tiny".
Often associated with "weeny": "Teeny weeny" or "teensy weensy".

As you can see, there are lots of similar words -> English is very rich and flexible... English people often write as they pronounce or hear; there was no writer to lock/define spelling like in French.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 27 Oct - 21:46

Thanks Gérard for all these useful explanations ! Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 28 Oct - 17:12

You're welcome Muriel.
Be careful in using them though as for example "weenie" (Am spelling) & "wiener" both mean "zizi" in Am En baby talk Laughing
- "weenie" is pronounced "wi:nI
- "wiener" is pronounced "wi:n@(r) Smile

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 28 Oct - 22:13

Gérard i think I will keep using tiny ! I don't want to be the laughing stock of everyone ! Embarassed Anyway thanks for all the explanations !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 28 Oct - 23:17

Muriel,

You know, there're tricky words in every language.

In American English, I often got trapped with double-entendre in the area of sex or gay... there're oodles of slang words.

Don't know if it's the same in French.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 29 Oct - 22:40

yes there are quite a few double entendre expressions in French : préservatives, je suis chaud etc. don't worry if you make a mistake. What is important is to learn the language.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 29 Oct - 23:23

Muriel,
I was not speaking about words which were tricky in other languages but about English words which had another meaning as well as cock, such as weennie, etc. or funny "fVnI but pronounced by 80% of French people -> fanny "f&nI

gerardM

Message  MurielB Jeu 30 Oct - 21:55

I have also been trapped with these words !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 30 Oct - 23:50

... and such traps are numerous.
It looks like sex and homosexuals are the favorite subjects.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 30 Oct - 23:59

Hereabove, I wrote Americans were not as focused as the French on good spelling and grammar so that they often have several similar spellings for usual words, they don't study grammar as much as we do in France, they are more flexible.

However, the French can also write strangely...
I know it's a specific song and not repeated expressions but I was surprised by a TV quizz which spoke about "tar' ta gueule à la récré".
This is an extract of the song "J'ai 10 ans" by Alain Souchon.
I rather heard "t'war ta gueule à la récré" but I'm wrong as the true lyrics say -> http://www.paroles.net/alain-souchon/paroles-j-ai-dix-ans
We could find simplified spellings in street or casual language (and texts).

gerardM