Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

... or the importance of cultural code

2 participants

... or the importance of cultural code Empty ... or the importance of cultural code

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Déc - 15:56

Hi there.

European Observatory for Plurilingualism

A recent study on immigrant job-seekers in the UK reminds us again of the importance of code-switching.

Sometimes Getting Along Comes Down To How You Say 'Gravy'
A recent study on immigrant job-seekers in the United Kingdom reminds us again of the importance of code-switching: Unwritten cultural codes in conversation can...
npr.org

... agree fully!  :-)

~~

~John Gumperz — a hugely influential linguist who contributed reams of research on the ways people from different cultures communicate. Had we been paying attention, we could have highlighted a story from Gumperz's studies that serves as a useful demonstration of why code-switching can be both a potent metaphor and a necessary skill.

read on.

bias in hiring decisions across the pond.
Pls read on.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mer 22 Nov - 23:34, édité 6 fois

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

... or the importance of cultural code Empty Re: ... or the importance of cultural code

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Déc - 16:17

Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this article.

It's exactly what I was looking for for years/decades!! Laughing

I often wrote on this forum that to perfectly speak a language, people had to have gone to primary school in the country or to have learned with a native teacher.

I meant that in a language, there were points that we didn't learn through books or late in life but which were included in early and "natural" learning (taught in the schoolyard).
In this article, they speak about cultural code: that's exactly what I meant!

gerardM

... or the importance of cultural code Empty Re: ... or the importance of cultural code

Message  MurielB Mar 9 Déc - 21:46

Gérard, everyone !
If you want effective ads which could convey the intended message, you must give consideration to underlying cultural codes and be very careful.  For instance, in the western world a moto is the symbol of liberty  while in China it is the symbol of poverty. Not quite the same... Sad

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Message  gerardM Mar 9 Déc - 22:55

I was speaking about language learning.
I'm not interested in commerce and materialism.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 10 Déc - 8:44

Gérard, perhaps I didn't quite catch what you were trying to tell us. An advertising campaign which takes into account the culture is interesting to highlight what you said.
It's clear that the same words have different meanings and one must take into account the culture.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 10 Déc - 9:42

In the article, it is the same word, the meaning is the same except that the tones were diferent and led to very different feelings and behaviors.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 10 Déc - 10:08

Yes I had not noticed that the difference was so subtle thanks for explaining again ! I should read more carefully ! C\'est vrai!!

MurielB
MurielB
Admin