Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower?

4 participants

Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower? Empty Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower?

Message  Admin Jeu 17 Sep - 11:41

Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower? Canada_1986654b

Since 1993, Canada knows an average growth of 3%. It was last year, the tenth global economic power with a GDP of 1.887 trillion dollars. Thanks to significant natural resources, political commitment and a skilled workforce, the country could one day exceed the United States on the forefront of the international scene.
Right now, US egemony is wanning and China suffer of a stunning collapse; so Canada and India will make a great economical power.
Canada has 3 huges, fundamantal strenght that will almost certainly be telling in the long run.

And canadians spend por calm people, relaxed, reasonable.

Translation
Superpower .................................. Superpuissance
PIB (Produit Intérieur Brut) .............. GDP (Gross Domestic Product)
Commmitment ............................... Engagement
Skilled ......................................... Qualifié
Workforce .................................... Population active / Force de travail
To wane ...................................... S'essouffler
Stunning ..................................... Spectaculaire
Forefront ..................................... Devant
Strenght ...................................... Force

Dernière édition par Admin le Jeu 17 Sep - 18:31, édité 2 fois
Admin
Admin
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français, Gb

https://www.cafe-polyglotte.com

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower? Empty Re: Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower?

Message  Remy Jeu 17 Sep - 13:54

Canada has crossed subprime crisis without any problem, for their banks had not bought the famous CDO (juke bonds) made with US subprime loans, and also thanks to the share oil they extract and sell to China and others.

They presently know a slowing down for oil price has fallen. But it won't probably last a very long time.

Canada's situation looks like Australia's one. They are not numerous but they are very dynamic.

Even if they can't be a superpower, because they are not numerous, they can be a great pocket of prosperity.

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower? Empty Re: Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower?

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Sep - 14:34

Hi Florent, Remy,

Florent, if you permit me "economical" is not the adjective you should have used in the title. We must not confuse "economic" and "economical"...
Similarly, there are a few mistakes in your text, wouldn't it be a good exercise for you to find them?

> a GDP of 1.887 trillion
Figures are ambiguous because of the difference of "trillion" between British English and American English, and because of the "."...
The GDP of Canada was 1,827 billion USD in 2013 ie 1,827,000,000,000 USD.
I read that Canada could become a superpower around 2050, thanks to global warming, the need for energy of China, the USA, etc.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  Admin Jeu 17 Sep - 18:29

Thanks Remy for your answer. I'm not a guru of economy but when I read this article in Vocable, the argue seems to be very light .... Canada is a attractive country with a great economy. But to be world #1, they dream!

Thanks Gérard too: it's my goal to be corrected!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Sep - 22:00

Florent,

> Thanks Gérard too: it's my goal to be corrected!

> Can Canada be the next economic(al) superpower?
You put "al" into brackets. This would mean we have the choice between "economic" and "economical", no we don't have the choice, the only adjective here is "economic".

Since 1993, Canada knows an average growth of 3%. It was last year, the tenth global economic power with a GDP of 1.887 trillion dollars. Thanks to significant natural resources, political commitment and a skilled workforce, the country could one day exceed the United States on the forefront of the international scene.
Right now, US egemony is wanning and China suffer of a stunning collapse; so Canada and India will make a great economical power.
Canada has 3 huges, fundamantal strenght that will almost certainly be telling in the long run.

And canadians spend por calm people, relaxed, reasonable.
> wouldn't it be a good exercise for you to find them?
I could tell you about the mistakes but to me it would be far better if you found them yourself.
Had you a couple of minutes, would you like to find 4-5 out of the 8 mistakes I detected?
(I didn't understand: "And canadians spend por calm people, relaxed, reasonable")

gerardM

Message  Remy Ven 18 Sep - 6:34

You are welcome, Florent.
I'm not an economist, I just use my economic readings to try to understand the present situation and, if  possible, to catch a glimpse of the near future. This last exercise is very perilous because the nobel prizes of economics themselves often make a mistake... Smile

Remy

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  Admin Dim 20 Sep - 21:51

Gérard
I fund my mistakes and I thank you to show it to me. Great! I can improve my english!!!

Can Canada be the next economical economic superpower?
Since 1993, Canada knows an average growth of 3%. It was last year, the tenth global economic power with a GDP of 1.887 trillion 1,887 billion dollars.

What I mean by "And canadians spend por calm people, relaxed, reasonable." is that people from other countries think canadians are calm, relax and resonable.
The dictionnary said "passer pour" is "spend for". Maybe it's wrong!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 20 Sep - 23:55

Hi Florent,

You're welcome Florent.
> I fund my mistakes
I found my mistakes

Admin a écrit:...
What I mean by "And canadians spend por calm people, relaxed, reasonable." is that people from other countries think canadians are calm, relax and resonable.
The dictionnary said "passer pour" is "spend for". Maybe it's wrong!
Instead of "spend for", you wrote "spend por" (and "p" is far from "f" on the keyboard).
I suppose that your dictionary says:
- passer (temps) -> to spend (time)
- pour -> for
Yes but to me "passer pour" is not "spend for" but something like "pass for" (simply).

Right now, US hegemony is waning and China suffers from a stunning collapse; so Canada and India will make a great economic power.
Canada has 3 huge, fundamental strengths that will almost certainly be telling in the long run.

gerardM

Message  Admin Lun 21 Sep - 9:58

Thanks teacher! ;-)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Sep - 12:02

You're very welcome Florent,

I guess it's on my head that you put this funny hat.
Your improvements just depend on your efforts and I'm pleased to see your care.
Most of your mistakes are just typos due to your lack of time.
Languages are specific and we cannot translate every word independantly. There are "expressions" which mean that things are as they are without any reason (same thing for French, English or any language). When you are home take a good dictionary such as Larrouse - passer pour (Ctrl-F to fond "passer pour") or Cambridge and try to search if your idea doesn't have a specific translation (always try to find the preposition attached to a verb as they are often different according to the language). It's important not to get poor habits.

gerardM a écrit:
Right now, US hegemony is waning and China suffers from a stunning collapse; so Canada and India will make a great economic power.
Canada has 3 huge, fundamental strengths that will almost certainly be telling in the long run.
Let's take the first two mistakes:
- egemony hegemony - very similar to our French word hégémonie
- wanning waning - the single "n" implies a different pronunciation as well.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 21 Sep - 18:25

Hi Gérard, Florent !
Florent i am very pleased that you invest in improving your English. I am sure you will make it if you go on like that because  "the more you practise the better you  become"
When I write in English and I don't know how to write such and such sentence, I like to look it up  in "Linguee English" where I find it in its context which is very useful. I sometimes write my sentence in "google" because there are plenty of sentences  on the internet and my sentence might have been correctly written by somebody else.
When there are still mistakes, you can also ask forum members to correct them for you (Thanks Gérard for doing it and we all appreciate)
Let's come back to Canada economic power.
Florent a écrit:Canada has 3 huge, fundamantal strengths that will almost certainly be telling in the long run.

I have read in Vocable that that these three huge fundamental strengths are :  Natural resources, good government and an almost unbelievably tolerant and open culture.
Anyway do you think that a country should try to dominate the world when the solution is to work together on a cooperative basis ?

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mar 22 Sep - 9:39, édité 2 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 21 Sep - 22:13

Hi Muriel,

> Merci de me faire part des grosses fautes dans mes messages en langue étrangère. Grâce à vos remarques, je pourrai m'améliorer

> the more you practice the better you will become.
2 remarks about your words:
- that's fine in American regarding "to practice" but remember that in British English, the noun is "practice" and the verb is "to practise"
- why did you change the tense? "you practice" is a present, "you will become" is a future.
I understand that you consider that you practice today and the outcome will be tomorrow.
However, British people like the sequence of tenses (concordance des temps).
The mixture is not a big mistake but like in French, "plus tu pratiqueras, meilleur tu deviendras", the future-future pattern has the advantage of stating that you practice today and you have to go on and practice in the future as well.
The present-present pattern is also possible: "plus tu pratiques, meilleur tu es".
The present-future pattern is possible in special cases such as: "mange ta soupe, tu deviendras grand" LOL meaning when you get tall you don't have to obey your parents any more and eat soup. Wink

> I like to look it up  in "Linguee English" where I find it in its contest which is very useful.
-> context - a contest is a competition.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 22 Sep - 9:35

I understand that you consider that you practice today and the outcome will be tomorrow.
Exactly Gérard, I had the feeling that the future would suit better what I meant and I had not thought about the sequence of tenses. Thanks for reminding me.
I will also remember context and practise.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 22 Sep - 11:38

Muriel,

> the more you practice the better you will become.
What I wrote is still right:
the future-future pattern has the advantage of stating that you practice today and you have to go on and practice in the future as well.
The more you'll practice, the better you will become.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 22 Sep - 21:53

sequence of tenses again !
Thanks Gérard for that example with future tense.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin